The forum will be down tomorrow

malc d - 2011-05-10 9:07 AM

Must go and have a look at the 'new' forum.

;-)

There are lots to choose from these days....

Just Google - 'free motorhome forums' and take your pick! They come in all shapes and sizes ;-)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;-)

There are lots to choose from these days....

Just Google - 'free motorhome forums' and take your pick! They come in all shapes and sizes ;-)

My problem with this forum at the moment is that it won't let me see some of the latest postings.

Maybe it's reluctant to show a new page ?

Example: (On Chatterbox ) I can see this mornings posting from CliveH ref Greenpeace ( 8:37am) but not the latest posting on Bin Laden thread at 11:29 the night before -( which I assume has gone over to a new page - page 5 ? )

;-)

It's not just your problem. See

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23539&posts=14

This "reluctant to page change" thing showed up years ago when the 'juddering' business was producing threads with 20+ pages, but, currently, a high number of pages isn't the issue. I guess the fault will eventually be resolved :-( :-(

Don Madge - 2011-05-10 9:45 AMAm I the only one not having problems with the forum ? 8-) 8-) Don

Go to the Bin Laden thread in Chatterbox and tell me the latest post is that you can read. The index says that there is one this morning but the last one that displays for me is yesterday evening.

Some threads are fine but others, mainly the multi-page ones, suffer from this problem. I've tried using two browsers, Chrome and IE9 but it's the same with both.

Thanks.

OK - the problems I have noticed:

Before when I received an email notification of a new post on a thread I am following, when I clicked on the link it went straight through to the page. Now I have to sign in everytime and then find the thread etc. This is happening on IE9 (just returned home so using main computer now) and on notebook using Firefox.

Additionally, when using Firefox and I clilck at the top of the page on New Threads it takes me (continually!) to the Search page! I have tried this time and again. however, this is a recent phenomenon so maybe they have tinkered somewhere else!

Finally, I have also noticed the missing posts. Having received the notifications when I look the post is not there, even after a lapse of time.

Sorry to read about these problems.

I have reported them to our web designers who are looking into them.

I know this sounds a little like a 'holding statement' but it is all I can say at the moment.

I am not a web developer so don't understand the technicalities involved.

And all those who do understand them have told me is 'we're looking into it'.

So this is just to let you know that we have noted your complaints and they are being looked into.

Thanks and sorry again for the problems.

As soon as I know more I will let you know via this thread.

Thanks

Daniel

Guest Tracker

Thanks Daniel - always good to know that big brother is watching over us - I think?

It is slow and there are missing postings and sometimes when I hit submit the posting just disappears but c'est la vie!

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing issues with posting. We've had a good look through the logs and, without doubt, the posting issue certainly appears to be the main stumbling block. :$

We have been working hard on improving the posting mechanism and have just rolled out an update for you all that should speed things up a fair amount.

We will continue to monitor this thread over the next couple of days to see how you are all getting along with the update.

Many thanks,

Splinx :-D

francisgraham - 2011-05-10 9:52 AM
Don Madge - 2011-05-10 9:45 AMAm I the only one not having problems with the forum ? 8-) 8-) Don

Go to the Bin Laden thread in Chatterbox and tell me the latest post is that you can read. The index says that there is one this morning but the last one that displays for me is yesterday evening.

Some threads are fine but others, mainly the multi-page ones, suffer from this problem. I've tried using two browsers, Chrome and IE9 but it's the same with both.

Thanks.
Yes you are correct about that thread. I don't often look at the chatterbox forum.I have had no problems with the sections I use on the forum but it appears others have. My computing skills are limited but I do manage post photo's etc OK.Don

Splinx - 2011-05-10 5:28 PM Hi Everyone, I'm sorry that you've been experiencing issues with posting. We've had a good look through the logs and, without doubt, the posting issue certainly appears to be the main stumbling block. :$ We have been working hard on improving the posting mechanism and have just rolled out an update for you all that should speed things up a fair amount. We will continue to monitor this thread over the next couple of days to see how you are all getting along with the update. Many thanks, Splinx :-D

Thanks David, well done.  We'll let you know..........................:-D

2 lots of server error 500 whilst I was trying to do this post!

Has anyone else noticed the long string of numbers at the top of threads???? Seems to me that once the string is complete it must be the combination to the safe containing all the chocolates and all the website designers run off and stuff themselves silly with them, leaving us all hanging .... just a theory - is it plausible though do you think? :-D

Sorry Mel - the errors you received, and the numbers are due to me. Still here working away!

Fingers crossed - the missing posts issue is fixed. You should see a few more posts in the "Goodbye Bin Laden" thread now!

Guest Tracker

Thanks Splinx - we appreciate your efforts.

Mind you it must be said that the forum was perfectly OK for me before someone had the bright idea that it needed fixing!

Progress eh?

I have just typed this comment once and then the screen started literally jumping up and down and then the comment just disappeared!!

So - I will try again - I started by thanking the guys for trying to fix things but my situation is getting worse and worse. It is now so slow that I think I will give up and go to bed!!

flicka - 2011-05-10 8:28 PM

Thanks Daniel & David for getting the ball rolling.

Can you also have a look at the "Moterhome - Your Views" section as the last thread "Watering the Van" thread does not appear in sequence.

yeh flicka i get that as well!!! doesnt even appear on the list..you have to click on watering the van link to get it :-S

no other probs really IE8 im using dont get the 500 error message

jon

Splinx - 2011-05-10 5:28 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing issues with posting. We've had a good look through the logs and, without doubt, the posting issue certainly appears to be the main stumbling block. :$

We have been working hard on improving the posting mechanism and have just rolled out an update for you all that should speed things up a fair amount.

We will continue to monitor this thread over the next couple of days to see how you are all getting along with the update.

Many thanks,

Splinx :-D

While you are resolving the problems, perhaps you could rationalise the 'objectives' of the "Motorhome Matters" and "Hints and Tips" forums, please?

Currently these are shown on the main forum webpage as (respectively) "Log on for friendly chat with hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself..." and "Seek out advice or pass on recommendations..."

I'm not sure what 'logging on' has to do with accessing the Motorhome Matters forum, but it's the description of the Hints and Tips forum that repeatedly causes confusion.

As will be evident from the thread at the very top of the Hints and Tips webpage, that forum was initially created in July 2006 for people to provide useful motorhome-related hints/tips that might be helpful to other motorcaravanners - that's why the forum's called "Hints and Tips"! Plainly it was never intended that people should be encouraged to seek advice via the Hints and Tips forum but, somewhere down the line, this suggestion crept into the forum's stated objective and has been an irritant ever since.

People who've used O&ALive's motorhome-related forums for a while learn that, if they are seeking advice, they are much more likely to get it by posting their questions to Motorhome Matters (which attracts the most attention) than to Hints and Tips, even though the descriptions of the two forums indicate that the opposite approach should be followed. But new forum-members won't know this and, having sought advice via Hints and Tips, are regularly told that they'd get better 'service' by copying their inquiry to Motorhome Matters. The result is predictable - the same inquiry on two forums with uncoordinated and unconnected replies on both.

It's so simple to sort this out for the better - just modify the Hints and Tips blurb to read "Pass on motorhome-related recommendations..." and that should do it.

I can't say I'm fond of the Motorhome Matters description personally. There's the logging-on thing; I'm uninterested in "chat" (surely that's what the Chatterbox forum is for); "friendly?" - you must be joking! and I would never describe myself as an "enthusiast". But, as long as there's nothing about seeking out advice in Hints and Tips, the Motorhome Matters description can survive unchanged as far as I'm concerned.

Archived