Welshpool - sat nav black spot and parking change

terryW

Just a note for anyone traveling from the Birmingham direction towards the Mid Wales coast, Welshpool now has a new one way traffic system that is unlikely to be on any Sat Nav this summer, so make sure you follow the signs and watch out for confused locals changing lanes.

Thanks to the building of a new Tesco store a road has been made right through the old carpark. The extra long bays have been replaced by standard length bays but those at the bottom have plenty of room behind for a long hang over. Overnight parking for Motorhomes and caravans is still permitted with a charge for larger units.

We stumbled across that the other weekend,on our way up to Harlech.We turned off the bypass(from Shrewsbury direction)and instead of being able to turn right,"bypassing" the main streets,we found ourselves being ushered around and up through the middle of it all!?...

Okay,not exactly central London in rush hour but it does seem strange sending through traffic up the main shopping street..

(..unless of cause,I missed a "new" road somewhere? :$ )

nuevoboy - 2011-04-05 10:35 PM

Thought there was only one street through the town anyway, apart from the by-pass, so am intrigued to discover where the alternative route is.

Think I'll do it by bike first. :-)

Bring back the old Milk Bar too, I say.

Easiest way to describe the two old routes is to start as if coming from the west . At the top of the town you meet a round about on which the third turning took you down through the high street, the second turning took you down a road parallel to the high street and at the bottom you could turn left out of town having avoided the traffic lights or right and then immediately left into the carpark. Now if you take the turning down to the main street , half way down you will be turned left onto the parallel road. When you reach the T junction at the bottom you can still turn left or right but you can no longer reach the car park. You can see it across the road but now you have to go left and then a couple of rights to get to it.

I remember when the Milk bar was a Pork Butchers and made the most fantastic pork pies, in fact we ended up living in the area just because 'she' said "where was that place we got those great pork pies" Funny old life (lol)

Archived