Cheap security camera/dvr/floodlight

Guest peter

Guest pelmetman
Right..... muppet question :$ Whats a SD card and where do you put it once its recorded and do you have to change it every day, week(?) ......................Polite replies only please :D

I shouldn’t criticise these types of products as we sell them in our store.

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Single_Channel_and_Personal_DVR.html#aSLCR

However, you need to be aware of the limitations. In most applications the camera will only be able to look straight out from the mounting wall. If you are hoping to catch the person who is breaking into your house forget it. You will only record an image of the person walking up your drive. That will not stand up in court so the police will not take any action.

It is possibly OK to use this type of product to cover a driveway with a parked vehicle. However, if you mount the device high up out of reach the captured images would not give a close-up picture necessary to identify an intruder. The image quality is at best described as basic.

Mount the device lower down and someone may steal the SD memory card.

Also to view any of the recordings you have to go up the ladder and retrieve the SD card to replay the recording on your PC.

They are good as a deterrent so don’t let me put you of buying one if you think this is what you need.

Guest Tracker

An SD card is a little plastic card about an inch not quite square that fits into a slot in your computer or into a usb plug in card reader, and then the data or pictures saved onto it can be displayed on screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

The only potential drawbacks I can see with this system are 1) you will need to remove the card from the camera in order to read it's stored information on your PC and 2) if you can access the sd card so can anyone else - including any ne'er do wells that might have been caught if they recognise the unit.

That said I doubt most opportunists would know what it did?

You don't need to touch it unless you want to see what is on the card as once full the card automatically over writes the oldest pictures with the newest.

Could be good for recording wildlife in the garden - or even outside the van at night?

Guest pelmetman
Thanks Rich :D ......we had prowlers in the back garden last year >:-( the fag butts gave them away *-).......So thinking of something to catch them with :D

I like the idea of these

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ALARM_MINES.htm

A farmer friend of mine fitted one to the rear drop door on his Subaru Pick-Up as he was fed up with cackers pinching his stuff. When it went off he went out to find this toe-rag wandering arround dazed because he had had his head within a foot when he set the thing off. (lol) (lol) (lol)

Often thought about one under the caravan door!

Having had the misfortune to have been robbed sometime in the past I got into CCTV systems and now have a rather good setup, nobody gets on my property without my knowing.

In total I have 8 camera's recording 24 hours per day that can see in pitch dark, the camera's give you a sense of security, how do you know who is on your property when you are fast asleep in bed?

knight of the road - 2011-04-06 1:49 AM

Having had the misfortune to have been robbed sometime in the past I got into CCTV systems and now have a rather good setup, nobody gets on my property without my knowing.

In total I have 8 camera's recording 24 hours per day that can see in pitch dark, the camera's give you a sense of security, how do you know who is on your property when you are fast asleep in bed?

Sounds a good system Malcolm, but when do you go to bed if you are on the Forum at 1:49 AM

Alib,

When I get home from work it is a case of, boots off, a cup of hot sweet decaff tea and a roll-up ciggy while sitting in my nice comfy recliner in my office.

By then my eyes are closing so I have an hours kip, then a long hot soak in the bath, have tea then upstairs for a lie on the bed for a read of the daily papers and perhaps a bit of telly.

The wife comes to bed about 10.30, has a read of her book then its lights out when she has drifted off it is time for my night time meandering, down stairs for a brew and perhaps a strawberry jam butty, play about on the comp, do a bit of reading or sorting out work for the following day, for me to go to bed for 8 hours sleep just does not happen, never has.

Many a time depending on the weather I sit down at the bottom of the garden in the stillness of the night with a brew, I must be a nightowl (lol)

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-04-06 4:11 PM

Alib,

When I get home from work it is a case of, boots off, a cup of hot sweet decaff tea and a roll-up ciggy while sitting in my nice comfy recliner in my office.

By then my eyes are closing so I have an hours kip, then a long hot soak in the bath, have tea then upstairs for a lie on the bed for a read of the daily papers and perhaps a bit of telly.

The wife comes to bed about 10.30, has a read of her book then its lights out when she has drifted off it is time for my night time meandering, down stairs for a brew and perhaps a strawberry jam butty, play about on the comp, do a bit of reading or sorting out work for the following day, for me to go to bed for 8 hours sleep just does not happen, never has.

Many a time depending on the weather I sit down at the bottom of the garden in the stillness of the night with a brew, I must be a nightowl (lol)

Blimey Malcolm 8-) ......You must be nuclear powered (lol) ............If I dont get my 10 hours beauty sleep I feel knackered :D

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-04-07 3:10 AM

Rather comfy this coffin is to sleep in, got it cheap off a car boot.

3:10 AM 8-) .....................I haven't been up at that time of night since I kept watches in the Navy :D

How many hours a week do you work Malcolm?................. as I was watching the news the other morning about people working more than 9 hours a day being at greater risk of heart attacks, although with your outdoor lifestyle your probably a lot fitter than me B-)

I did a quick calculation to make sure I wasn't at risk?............... from the start of the year there has been 13 working weeks, so Mr average doing a 34 hour week has worked 442 hours, Mr workaholic has done 585 hours and I reckon I have done nearly 200 hours.................phew..........thought I had been over doing it for a minute (lol)

It's nearly 20 to 11 time I did some work ;-)

Archived