new electric supply

ips

We are thinking of installing hook up into our CL. Does anyone have any idea how much elec board will charge to bring us a supply from the road into the field. Probably going to be about 6m then we will do the wiring from wherever they terminate (elec metre) to the bollards. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question however they want to charge us for a quote but dont say how much even the quote will cost therefore if we have an idea (are we talking a grand a couple or many grand) if its likely to be many thousands then we wont bother and certainly dont want to pay elec board for a quote unless we are confident that we are likely to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Tracker

Have you contacted the CC - or the CCC - or even the MCC - for any info or research they might have on different occupancy rates in general for EHU and non EHU CLs and/or sites?

It might help with the decision making process if you can get some idea of the take up rates and whether you increase the prices and charge everyone or just charge those who want it without alienating those who don't - espially any regular visitors?

I suspect that you will need a friendly qualified electrician to check and certify the installation as safe which, unless you know one, might be a problem if you do it yourself?

Difficult decison - good luck!

No we havent contacted c&cc but thats not a bad idea. We have given much thought to this over the last 12 months and have debated if people prefer no elec for less money or elec at a premium. I tried to do some research on another forum last year but it got pulled and I got branded as a spammer (much to my anoyance) dependent on cost it would take a long time to get the initiall outlay back but if it attracts more customers then may be worth it. I would rather not have to as you have to have the elec certificated every year for the insurance and then there is the groundwork to do. Niether are much of a problem I spose as I have a lot of contacts in the trade and I have the ultimate big boys toy... a series 3 JCB... :-D

We had a quote to get a 300 kva supply into new premises, and that came in at £49000 plus we had to dig the trenches for cables and provide sheathing for underground etc. That was to re-route the existing supply by about 6 metres.

Obviously you are not going to need that high a supply, but it is very expensive.

As an aside, it's not your electricity supplyer who usually quotes for the job, it has to be done by national grid contractors, in our case this was western power supplies and not swalec.

Try contacting a local builder, electrical contractor, or developer, and ask what they do.  It should only be the final connection in the road (presumably) that the supply co/grid have to make (A penny to a quid they will actually use a contractor.  If you can find out who you may be able to shortcut the nonsense by a fair bit.).  The rest would need to satisfy a minimum standard as to cable type/size, and how it is laid in, but it should be possible to get the excavation, the cable, and the dig etc all done first, leaving the cable end coiled on your land ready to connect.  You will have to have a proper weatherproof enclosure for the meter and main fuse, preferably in a building.

Don't know how the CL relates to other buildings with existing supplies, but couldn't you extend from one of those, with a sub-meter to record consumption for accounting purposes?  If you restrict the supply to about 6A, the total load shouldn't be that high (6 x 5?), so not much more than a new ring main being added.  You'll need the incoming supply capacity checked, but cables come in step sizes, so it would be fairly unusual for it to be at max capacity.  Any competent electrician could then do all the necessary wiring work, including install the check meter and new dis board.  If you aren't NICEIC certified, you'll have to get someone who is to check your work.  If you use an NICEIC certified contractor for the whole installation, he will self-certify on completion.

The cable and components etc will cost roughly the same either way, and the actual installation time won't be that great, so not too costly.  If you could install the supply pillars, dig the trenches, and backfill on completion, you'd probably get the best job all round in the shortest time.

Thanks

The ground work is no problem, and the acctual elec on our land to the bollard will be no prob. Unfortunately the site filed is 200yds from our house with no adjoining property otherwise it would be a doddle. :'(

Guest pelmetman

Not leccy but water, at our last house we had a large garage (for the camper :D ) and guest suite built, on the day the builders started the very first bucket load of soil revealed a water main 8-) .....fortunately they didn't crack it :-S

It turned out that the water main for the village went right up the middle of our drive *-) Work stopped and the first quotes came in 7k 8-) ...in the end we got our builders to do all the ground works and the water board contractors just did the connections three and a half thousand for a mornings work 8-)

Ouch....

On a similar topic we (well me) cut through a 3 phase elec supply with the jcb a few years ago. It was our elec supply and also supplied two propertys at the back of us but went through our land. Anyway 2 nutters from elec board came out and fixed the break in the rain whilst it was still LIVE. £1200 invoice which hurt.....a lot. That is why I am somewhat worried as to the cost of doing this work, hence the post. :-D

Archived