Motorhome tow cars

snitrats

Can any one help? After reading numerous reports about tow cars I am most confused.

I have a Fiat Panda fitted with a Chris Cox braked A frame, is this legal to use in the UK ?

Are braked A Frames legal to use in France & other EU countries ?

I understand that new EU laws regarding towing are due in 2014, what are these. :-S

Hi

I looked into this matter before having T2T fitted to our Fiat 500c.

Even in the EU, France and Spain, it is fully Legal for a UK registered Mh and tow car to travel through there country. In the UK its, they say a grey area. Completely unfounded.

So go and enjoy your MH and tow car.

I will always carry thew paperwork supplied by T 2 T just in case.

By the way we shall be traveling to Woolacombe Friday.. So give us a wave

Mh is L 8 VOY

Car is L 7 VOY

Dennis

I could never see the reasoning for towing a car behind a Motorhome, cart before the horse I think, I would go back to a car and Caravan before I towed a car behind my van, what is it all about, presumeably you will leave your Motorhome on a site and travel about in the car, isn't that what Caravanners have been doing for years?

You are correct, but I do have a choice of taking a car or not! Which is more than what can be said for caravans.

Also the great joy of motorhomes is pulling up on site, plug it in, then sit with a beer watching caravaners tow water barrels about, spend hours errecting awnings in the rain and wind, leveling up etc etc. (lol)

snitrats - 2011-04-08 2:47 PM

You are correct, but I do have a choice of taking a car or not! Which is more than what can be said for caravans.

Also the great joy of motorhomes is pulling up on site, plug it in, then sit with a beer watching caravaners tow water barrels about, spend hours errecting awnings in the rain and wind, leveling up etc etc. (lol)All you say her is Correct, I don't understand the bit about Caravans not having Cars, of course they do, Motorhomers put up awnings and faf about for ages with Satelite dishes and getting level too

and at some stage you had to put your water in your van ,I know lots of Motorhomers who also use the water rollers, I fail to see what all this has to do with towing a car behind a Motorhome however.

Guest pelmetman
I would think the biggest advantage of towing a car is that you can stay on an Aire when touring an area:D ............Just another thought if you were towing a caravan with a camper would you be allowed on a Aire (?) :D ...............providing the parking spot was big enough of course:-S

Hi Malc, your right again, we could debate this point forever. However it's got nothing todo with the original question.

It is handy to have your own small car handy , particulary in places like Cornwall where trips to the villages is not practical in a motorhome.and I gave up cycles many years ago. any way Happy Camping :-)

So to return to the original. You're fine in the UK. You're probably ok in mainland Europe excl Spain; there are very few reports of anyone being stopped, and it always tends to be someone who was talking to someone else who'd been stopped - draw your own conclusions. Spain is an issue - first hand reports of people being stopped.

The "it's legal in the UK so it's legal anywhere in the EU" is apparently an urban myth. I've seen a letter from the DoT where they highlight that this concept actually arises from the 1968 Vienna convention on transport, rather than any EU norm. However, apparently neither the UK nor Spain are signatories to that convention...

Archived