towing smart car

wba767

My husband has been looking at braking systems fitted to car when towing, which use the car's brakes.

He has read so much he is now totally confused about which to choose for the best. has anyone got experience of this that they could share????

Thanks

Butty

wba767 - 2011-04-06 5:37 PM

My husband has been looking at braking systems fitted to car when towing, which use the car's brakes.

He has read so much he is now totally confused about which to choose for the best. has anyone got experience of this that they could share????

Thanks

Butty

There is only a choice of two as far as I am aware.

1. Brakes operated by a mechanical cable from the brake pedal to the over run on the A frame

2 Brake buddy. An electronic device working on a pendulum system which presses the brake pedal when the pendulum moves forward. Very expensive option.

A frame with cable device is simple and effective and not a lot to go wrong.

pelmetman - 2011-04-06 7:13 PM

I thought Smart cars are automatic so had to be carried on a trailor :-S

No, no definitely NO!

I have towed 2 Smarts (NOT at the same time) for over 10000 miles on an A frame without problems. You just have to make sure the gear is set to neutral and the handbrake is off and that's it!

I use the T 2 T

The braking system is very clever, sensing your braking, it then electronically brakes the car breaks over the minimum legal requirements. They also supply paperwork to take abroad in several languages, to the latest guide lines.

The best part is the A frame does not have one of the caravan type hitches weighing a ton!!

I'm so pleased with the system if anyone wants to take a look, send me a Pm. Your most welcome.

Worcester based.

Don,t tow your car on an A frame in Spain.

I have just returned from 8 weeks in Spain (with my Smart on a bantam trailer)and was informed that It is illegal to use an A frame no matter how it is equiped and that our government has now accepted that situation, regardless of the fact that the practice is tolerated in the UK. I do not know if this also aplies to France.

John

Guest peter
The Spanish have no right to ban it on a British reg' vehicle providing it complies fully with U/K towing regulations.

Hi,

If you choose the cable braking system, I would recomend Chris Cox (www.towingframes.com) who fitted mine at a very reasonable cost, plus collected and delivered the car to & from home. :-D Also check out ebay motors (Motorhome tow cars.

Regards Geoff

hi, please note that some time this year the uk is going to fall into line with the rest of the EU, so please please check that you can use an A frame, and just don,t think that for year I have and nothing side, because maybe it will not be the case sometime this year. I would not know where to look or who to ask as like much of the laws re the EU the gov does not wish us to know until its too late.

maybe some one on their travels in france etc, can ask in a police station. michael

Meadows Engine - 2011-04-06 9:19 PM

Don,t tow your car on an A frame in Spain.

I have just returned from 8 weeks in Spain (with my Smart on a bantam trailer)and was informed that It is illegal to use an A frame no matter how it is equiped and that our government has now accepted that situation, regardless of the fact that the practice is tolerated in the UK. I do not know if this also aplies to France.

John

Can you tell us who informed you and on what did they base their opinion?

Also, who in the British government accepted this decision and where is that information published?

The practice is not just tolerated, it is not illegal, therefore it must be legal. If it was illegal there would not be several thousand good honest motorhomers breaking the law on a daily basis. IF just one person had been prosecuted surely we would have heard about it from one of the many forums.

Please refrain from spreading these rumours without the necessary information to support them.

Hearsay is not acceptable as being correct.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way it is.

Black or white.

Just received email from T 2 T and they won't fit an a frame to a Smart post 2007. They say that the steering is too light and they may 'ozolate' at slow speeds.

Any more ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

HI I am sure they know best, Looks Like a trailer!

As it costs close to a grand to convert you car, its worth looking on say ebay motorhome tow cars,you can buy cars ready converted for the price of a conversion, just keep it for towing! :-D .

PS Thincking about it I am sure I have seen converted smarts 08-09 ! could be wrong though.

Keep looking

I was given this information at a Camping and Caravanning Club Rally at PlayaTropican about 2 weeks ago. It was included in a presentation to a large group regarding " The law and your Caravan / motorhome" It was stated that using an A frame was not alowed in Spain and that members had already been fined and made to remove the car from the A frame and have it driven along behind the motorhome. and that this practice was accepted by the UK government.

Hence my advice,

If this is not the case perhaps some one with a little more knowledge on the subject could advise what the situation is. I for one would like to know

John

The only impending legislation I'm aware of is that in 2014 there's EU legislation due which (in its current form, but given it's endorsing an existing standard it's unlikely to change) would outlaw the use of over-run/cable-braked systems. However, EU member states have 18 months to transpose Directives into national legislation, and they always take that long, so depending when in 2014 it'd hit UK legislation in H2/2015 or H1/2016.

Insofar that there's no reason why you couldn't have an over-run system and simply disconnect the braking cable, installing a Brakebuddy system to do the braking instead, I'm comfortable that I'll stick with my Chris Cox and supplement it as necessary in a few years. Indeed, if I was buying today I'd get the same thing and wait to see what happens in a few years.

I'm not totally comfortable with the T2T system. It's a nuance, but there's a technicality where I'm not convinced it's totally compliant. As I understand it, for electrically braked systems, it's a requirement that they're powered from the towing vehicle. On the T2T system, power is taken from the toad battery, which is continually charged from the towing vehicle. Question : if there was a catastrophic failure of the Smart battery, would the system take the power through from the towing vehicle? Dunno.

In any case, going back to the original, talk of UK legislation this year as a result of EU legislation strikes me as nonsense, because fundamentally for that to happen the EU legislation would have had to have passed either last year or the year before. Bit difficult to cover that up...

Archived