Holiday and "sabbatical"

Tony Jones

Just loading the van!

We're setting off tomorrow morning to get the 2pm ferry to Dunkerque, for nearly 3 weeks in France and Spain. And when we come back, I'm still not working, as I'll be on "sabbatical" until late June. This is something ministers are encouraged to do every seven years, but after over 23 years I've only just got around to it. The idea is to take a "break with a purpose," completely off duty in the local church and community, but doing or studying something that will be of use there in the future. Some use the time for extra study, PhDs etc. Not me.

Liz & I are going to get in the van, and visit a lot of different churches around the eastern region which have more than average "young adults," ie 20s and 30s. That's an age group the churches around here struggle to connect with, so I want to find out how we can do better for them.

Even the holiday forms part of it (sort of!), as we'll be visiting friends at Baptist churches in Murcia and in Rouen. If anyone wants to follow us, my daughter has introduced me to the mysteries of "travel-blogging, so we'll be updating at least every week at

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/tonyssabbatical/1/tpod.html

That's enough for now - got to cook a final English meal of sausage egg chips and beans!

• 1 month later...

Have fun Tony, You will wish you had taken a sabbatical before and you will not come back the same.

We went off for three months in 2009, in the footsteps of St Paul. In our Autosleeper Topaz, (small bedroom but the living room is as big as the world!)

Just make sure you back up your pictures incase misfortune (or naughty boys) strikes.

Our saga is recounted at http://paul-sabbatical2009.blogspot.com/

Well spotted Ian, I was going to mention that. But how do you know he doesn't drive like a madman?

And thanks, Paul, for the encouragment and the link. My Sabbatical is a bit different, as only the first part wsa spent entirely away from home. We're each week from Mon night to Fri morning now, but so far everyone has been very good about leaving us alone. Maybe they're glad not to have ME hassling THEM!

I'm using the days at home to reflect on what we've been learning, and I'm also making a start on a book I've had in mind to write for years, dealing with the "FAQs" people ask about the Christian faith, especially the awkward ones.

For the record, here are a few more biblical references to our hobby, and related ones:

(Check your weight limits)

When the queen of Sheba heard of Solomon’s fame, she came to Jerusalem to test him with hard questions. Arriving with a very great caravan—with camels carrying spices, large quantities of gold, and precious stones—she came to Solomon and talked with him about all she had on her mind. (2Chron.9:1)

(Don’t rely too much on the SatNav)

Caravans turn aside from their routes; they go off into the wasteland and perish. (Job 6:18)

(The dangers of wild-camping)

The caravans of Tema look for water, the traveling merchants of Sheba look in hope. (Job 6:19)

(The Lord is a "full-timer")

I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another. (1Chron.17:5)

(Club Site fees have always been a rip-off)

So David paid Araunah six hundred shekels of gold for the site. (1Chron.21:25)

(Check the weather forecast)

On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. (Exodus 19:16)

Tony Jones - 2011-05-11 9:09 PM

For the record, here are a few more biblical references to our hobby, and related ones:

(The Lord is a "full-timer")

I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another. (1Chron.17:5)

.... thats the one I really like and so apposite!!!!

Interesting blog!

Archived