belgium sites

chasson10

There is a bit of France that sticks into Belgium north of Charleveille Meziers, along the valley of the river Meuse which goes up then to Givet in France, then Dinant in Belgium. The scenery is excellent, being in the Ardennes, and there are a couple of excellent riverside municipal campsites at Fumay and Revin. Much better than Belgium itself, which I find always a bit scruffy. If you want really tidy, and hills as well, try moving on into Luxembourg, anywhere in the north of the country is good. Troisvierges near the Belgian border is our favourite - Dutch owners of the site, so it is very tidy!

If you "do Aires" there is one in the centre of Dinant which is next to the marina and the tourist office, 150m from the main bridge through town. It must have one of the best veiws of any aire anywhere. (See attached photo of church and citadel taken from the aire). When I say it is in the middle of town I mean exactly that so you get road noise from about 7:30 am. (Second photo shows Wanderbird 2 - our MH - parked up for the night next to the river). We stayed there last October on our way back from Alsace and enroute to Brugge. The Meuse Valley is beautiful. Dinant has fantastic vistas, river trips, caves and is a tourist trap in summer, though in our opinion doesn't try very hard to make the most of its many attributes. Also the lack of bars/cafes with a good range of high quality Belgium beers (Euro lager only) is a definite disadvantage to a couple like us who make regular "pilgrimages" for said beverage. Hence our night halt there and on to Brugge for the walks, the culture, the chocolate and the trip the "Daisy's" (possibly the best bar in the world - though we've a few more to check on before I can give a definitive statement).

Dinant-02_web.jpg.c75afe4a210d193c29f2f89dcca63775.jpg

Dinant-07_web.jpg.ff1bc067b373fed8fb93e79609c9c692.jpg

Hello Baz,

The Aire is an "Aires de stationnement" ie overnight parking where you can sleep in the MH, it comprises about half a dozen parking spaces on the street next to the marina. Parking is free and I believe you can get electricity and water from the marina service points, which we saw on the adjacent fence, though we didn't make use of them. The tourist office across the street will give you info, they confirmed you can park/sleep overnight and it is free. There isn't anywhere to empty either grey or black waste. There is another aire “Aires de services sur camping” at the campsite on the opposite East bank at the local campsite about half a mile further North. Reports on CampingCar-Infos,

http://www.campingcar-infos.com

where both sites can be found in the Belgium section say, unsurprisingly, that the campsite are not best pleased if you try to use their facilities after having spent the night in the centre of town. Can't really blame them.

Regards,

Carl

thanks for the info will look into these areas. I was hoping Belgium would be better at promoting itself and being surrounded by countries who are so into camping they would be good at it as well. Will probably try one site then move onto germany.

Guest JudgeMental

Han - sur - lesse

of the N86. sat location:50.12518, 5.18639

A really picturesque small town with caves and lots of character. Full service Aire on edge of town a really nice evening fair on a Friday night and great places to eat....... will be heading there again on our trip south this summer....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han-sur-Lesse

Guest JudgeMental
bazooka - 2011-04-16 8:47 PM

Nice one J udge6! are the co ordinates in the link for the town or the air.

Baz

Just checked and does not seem right! :-S

try this :D

50.127914, 5.187069?

+50° 7' 40.49", +5° 11' 13.45"

arrow is on coach parking, Aire is over on the right above normal car park?

Hi not sure if this what you want ,found a brilliant site in Genk N 50D 57. 422` E005d 31. 944`.

in the All the Aires Benelux and Scandinavia book ,it is nothing like the picture in book .7 spaces 5 euroes for water and electric ,free if you want neither .On edge of massive forest with loads of walking cycling trails couple of cafes open till 9pm .Riding stables on site as well but no problem.

• 1 month later...
hi we are thinking of going to bruges and ghent amongst other places in belgium/france. are there any aires we could stay at and are they close enough to the towns etc. to walk as we don't have any other form of transport and my husband can't travel on buses etc as he is suffers from travel sickness.

trickydicky - 2011-05-29 1:40 PM

hi we are thinking of going to bruges and ghent amongst other places in belgium/france. are there any aires we could stay at and are they close enough to the towns etc. to walk as we don't have any other form of transport and my husband can't travel on buses etc as he is suffers from travel sickness.

The Aire at Bruges is fully serviced and includes electric hook-up and is next to the marina. When you leave the Aire you walk under the main road and walk into town through the park. Its a smashing walk with lots of things to look at and shouldn't take longer than 15 mins.

The last time we were there the prices were 1st April to 30th September €22 (<>£18) per night and 1st October to 31st March was €15 (<>£12). This may sound expensive - especially for an aire - but bear in mind the location and facilities for a major city which is extremely popular all year round.

Here are a couple of pictures.

694403265_BrugesAire.jpg.0de0a6e683633cd4ef7d1f90f8db6222.jpg

263214646_BruggeAire.JPG.f6194e09885b0279305d02c082811a6a.JPG

609827160_BrugesAire2009.jpg.174ef9dc63c23ba2057b4d82fa07e911.jpg

trickydicky - 2011-05-29 1:40 PM

The campingcar-infos website

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

has information on 'aires' in countries other than France, including a fair number located in Belgium.

The only aire at Bruges (Brugge) is the one Way2Go mentions. The city is very picturesque but - so I'm reliable informed - gets very crowded during the day in the tourist high season. We had a short hotel-break there in early-March this year. Everything was very quiet, though there were still quite a few motorhomes at the aires site. Best not to take a large vehicle into the city itself as the roads are narrow, cobbled and with tricky junctions. There's a campsite (Camping Memling) in Bruges' eastern suburbs, but the latest reviews are not all positive. Bruges' main tourist office is in the 't Zand Square area which has numerous eateries.

There seems to be no aire at Ghent (Gent), though there is a campsite:

http://www.select-site.com/campsites/overview.cfm?mc=229&regionID=877_876_878

This is in Ghent's outskirts though, so may not be suitable if your husband has serious problems with bus travel.

There is an Aire in Gent we have stayed on it, it is in the Camperstop book, the co ordinates on sat nav are not correct but they are correct in the book.

It says there is room for 1 but it is just one marked on a large quiet car park just down from the police station. Next to it is the tram line that takes you right into the city centre so not far to walk with all your shopping on the way back either :-D

Only down side is road noise from the fly over which is also next to it which the trams station is situated underneath.

I have pics which I shall try to find later.

Mandy

1799691343_hanssurlesse.JPG.c137cf0bfe89fa10f60bd5459e6b9ed6.JPG

Archived