Old layout vs New layout

Bulletguy

Must admit I was somewhat puzzled, though not surprised, at the recent change to the layout of the forum site. What was wrong with the 'old' one?

It seems to be a 'fad' indulged from forums to company websites and, even worse, online Banking sites who like to fiddle about with these things. But if it works perfectly.......why change it??? *-)

Who thinks this layout is better than the 'old'.....and why?

Guest Tracker

Apart from the lack of contrast between the various boxes, the font being too small and not bold enough and the extended time that posting now seems to take it is certainly not much different.

The 'alterers' were listening at first but they seem to have gone back to into hibernation without addressing any of the issues that they said they would?

But hey ho it's a free site and we mustn't be ludites and stand in the way of real progress - after all look how good the gas systems are now compared to the reliable old systems, and kook how well modern gearboxes and clutches work, and look at how sturdy and well designed and built new vans are!

Cynical? Me? Never!

Does anyone know what the specific objectives were that the "change" process was meant to achieve?

Thus far, I have not found any functional difference between old and new.

It still takes aeons for a post to be accepted by the website, the max size of photo attachments is still a Victorian sub-100kbs, so what has actually changed, other than some minor typeface, colour and layout changes...the colours of which to my eye now make the site seem rather bland?

Perhaps someone from MMM could list all the exact improvements that the software engineers they've paid to do this were contracted to deliver and have delivered to the MMM website brand and business?

Tracker - 2011-04-08 5:57 PM

Apart from the lack of contrast between the various boxes, the font being too small and not bold enough and the extended time that posting now seems to take it is certainly not much different.

The 'alterers' were listening at first but they seem to have gone back to into hibernation without addressing any of the issues that they said they would?

But hey ho it's a free site and we mustn't be ludites and stand in the way of real progress - after all look how good the gas systems are now compared to the reliable old systems, and kook how well modern gearboxes and clutches work, and look at how sturdy and well designed and built new vans are!

Cynical? Me? Never!

I echo your cynicism Richard.........one step forward three steps back. *-)

BGD - 2011-04-08 6:11 PM

Does anyone know what the specific objectives were that the "change" process was meant to achieve?

From past experience of website 'meddlers' it's all about wreaking chaos, confusion and wrecking something which worked perfectly before.

The AutoTrader website is a classic example where the 'meddlers' have been let loose and totally ruined what used to be a good site to use. Nice, clean and simple. Now the site is difficult to access, drop down menus that often don't work, pages pathetically slow to load, a crazy process of viewing photos........in all a complete shambles. God knows how much they paid to have a demolition job done. Should have given the job to a five year old kid who at least would have made the damn thing WORK!

Guest pelmetman

Thought last layout was OK, don't like new layout its so stark and slow and each thread seems to run into the next. When I go into a new thread why can't I hit on a button and go to last thread rather than having to scroll down each time?

Sue

Sue, (mother :-D )

Don't know why you can't get a result by putting the cursor over the Green Thread Title and click. It takes me to the last post every time, but I usually just go back to the page and scroll down as I don't like to miss a post. In other words I'm a nosey sod.

Dave

Seems very similar to the old one - which is good - because I was used to that.

It will be interesting to see if I can download pics - never could on the old - obviously something this end as others could but frustration when I can with other forums and sites but not here!

I do find the colour wishy-washy blue a REAL pain tho'.

Come on guys - let’s have some dynamic colours :-S

Archived