Know your weight / payload – easy!!

Meadows Engine

There is an ever increasing focus on the weight of our vans and the payload they can carry and to get it wrong can prove to be very expensive. I know, sorting out my Murvi to give it a realistic touring payload cost me dear, and how do you really know what that motorhome you have your eye on can really carry, before you buy it and get it home?

Well, I came across, and have now purchased a portable scale that I can weigh my van with and know both my total weight and individual axle weights. It’s the same unit as used by our law enforcement friends and it is simplicity its self to use.

Just drive each wheel of your motorhome over it in turn and that’s it, all is revealed

Oh how I wish I had had one of these when I purchased my van it would have saved me thousands of pounds, as it is, it will now help prevent me being done for being “over weight” in the future.

It has also enabled me to weigh my trailer, its nose weight, my scooter and even the Smart, for the peace of mind it gives me worth every penny!

Reading back through what I have written I realise it sounds a bit like an advert, so let me just say I have no connection with the product, its makers or sellers I’m just a guy who thinks this is a bit of kit that should be high on any motorhomers list of accessories.

Info at

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/scales-profile-axlewheel-scales-upto-1500kg-reich-p-2829.html

John

1097520950_CWC1500red_1.jpg.c798fa38e2677a954a0e68b0bef00bfb.jpg

These are excellent units, I use two in the workshop regularly ( I weigh every motorhome I can during a hab inspection and record the results for the owners information). The manufacturers claim 3% accuracy but I've found they can vary by up to 5%, not a mjaor issue if you use them as a guide but I'd reccomend using a certified weighbridge to confirm your weights if you're close to the limit. We used to sell them but Reich proved to be not the easiest company to deal with so we dropped them.

D.

Hi Dave

The manufactures recomend that you use a 40cm length of wood of the same thickness as the CWC unit under the oposite wheel on the same axle as the one you are weighing to avoid incorrect readings due to tilting the van. I have found this works well.

Your right it is a very nice unit, fortunatly, Reich won't sell them direct to the general public (me) I got mine through Marcle Leisure and had no prob's , delivered in two days.

I take your point on using a weigh bridge if you are near the critical limit and need an official note but for all other times the convieience of having this to hand just when you need it is great.

John

Hi John, my comment about accuracy was based on using the units in pairs so each wheel of the same axle was resting on a weighing device, I did say I use a PAIR of them ;-) .

My comment about Reich not being the easiest company to deal with was as a trader not an individual. We first stocked the 1000KG units and repeatedly asked for a higher weighing device, we always got the same answer "no plans for a bigger weighing unit ". Then lo and behold they brought out the 1500KG device which, apart from its colour and ability to measure a higher weight, is identical!

When they did launch the 1500KG units we asked to stock them, many times, and were repeatedly given a runaround on delivery times. After six months of nonsensical communication with Reich Germany we gave up, maybe we weren't looking to buy enough units, who knows?

D.

Hi Dave

Its The 1500kg units I have, interested to hear you use two at the same time on each axle.

The instructions say to weigh the wheels in the specific order, NSF, NSR, OSF, OSR when I rang Reich UK at Hednesford and questioned this they said that it was correct and that the unit computer was programed to take this order into account and that the direction the wheel ran over the unit was important. i.e. on the nearside it would traverse from right to left and on the off side left to right. It would then add up the weights for me.

As it shows you the individual weight at each wheel it seems to me just as easy to tot them up myself as I went round.

Still a bit of kit I would recomend , better than driving around with my fingers crossed!

Thanks for your comments

John

Hello,

At this price, with no chance of offsetting it's cost and a weighbridge in the village.....No thanks.........

However....

Now...........there should not be a problem with EVERY motorhome/caravan sales outlet getting one and PROVING (+/- 5% ish) the weight of their

vans for sale on demand.......

Think about it... No bovine excreta.........stick it on the scales and let me see its weight or forget the sale........WONDERFUL ! :-D :-D :-D

Purely my personal opinion, but I am circumspect about relying on anything other than a certified public weighbridge. I was given, in good faith I strongly stress, figures from similar kit as: front axle 1565, rear axle, greater than 1970, total, greater than 3535 Kg - on a vehicle limited to 3500. Imagine the sinking feeling in my gut, especially with only three-quarters diesel, less than half full fresh water, an empty waste tank and little of the normal touring clutter. After the initial panic, I was confident enough to drive to a local authority weighbridge and added full diesel and fresh water, electric bike and charger, plus me and all of what we normally carry on board. Results: front axle 1580, rear 1660, total 3240 Kg - and instantly reduced blood pressure.

In fairness, I must state that the initial, incorrect reading from the mobile kit was found to be due to a technical fault on the element used for the rear axle and I was assured that it was a one-off problem.

Bob

I like the idea of the thing,as a gadget..but personally,as long as I've weighed the van and checked the axle loadings when it's been fully loaded up(..full tanks/kit/provisions/people! etc)and it's been legal,I'm not too concerned about what it is when it's below that...

A good point about there being no excuse for a MH dealership for not owning such a device though...

..although as you would like to asssume they'd be test driving any secondhand vehicle prior to putting them put on their forecourts anyway(yeah right!*-) ),that run may as well take in their local weighbridge.(..seems pretty straight forward,doesn't it?! :-S )

An afterthought. Once I had the actual weight from the weighbridge, I made a complete inventory of every removable item on board my van, down to the last spoon and pencil. Since then, whenever I add or remove anything, I have simply to compare it with the base inventory and hey presto, complete confidence that the van is under its permitted maximum.

Bob

I am waiting for one with double the load capacity. But then again having weighed the van fully loaded with me and her indoors inside, full water, full fuel, both motorbikes, two gazebos, grub, gas, clothes and all essential clutter .... why do i need a weighing device now?

Er, perhaps i won,t.

C.

My children bought me one of these units for a Christmas and birthday present as our normal touring weight was close to the limit if not above.. I Got an accurate weighbridge reading, then tried to replicate it with the Reich. Frustratingly, it failed completely. Over many attempts and re reading the instructions 5% accuracy would have been acceptable. >:-(

My daughter got a refund for it. Then I got Sv Tech to re-plate the van for me. Cost £250 but there is no way that I can now fill the 'van to the new plated weight and live in it. There just wouldn't be the space. :-S

Now I can leave home on a Sunday when the local scrapyard and it's weighbridge is closed. (lol)

If you are about to spend £45k on a new van, £170 does not seem over the top to know its actual weight and payload before it rolls of the dealers forcourt. By the time it hits your drive its a little too late and you may not be lucky enough to get away with a £250 upgrade, it can be very expensive! You don't expect the nice sales man to do it for you, do you!

Well there it is, I bought it to your attention as I thought it a good idea, as weighbridges arn't all ways there when you want one .

Now with wine at around 1Kg a bottle how much can I load up to go home after this trip

regards

John

Guest Peter James

Interesting link, Thank You.

Just a thought but if the ground isn't perfectly flat (and where is) the twisting in the suspension must make a difference. So if you drive on to it, thereby weighing every wheel in a different place, it must be less accurate than if you keep the van in the same place and jack every wheel on to it. But, unless you have a garage lift, you would have to jack each wheel separately for the unit, and the bit of wood the other side. Jacking up a wheel 8 times to weigh the van once.

Guest Peter James
Usinmyknaus - 2011-04-11 1:37 PM

An afterthought. Once I had the actual weight from the weighbridge, I made a complete inventory of every removable item on board my van, down to the last spoon and pencil. Since then, whenever I add or remove anything, I have simply to compare it with the base inventory and hey presto, complete confidence that the van is under its permitted maximum.

Bob

Just like whitevanman does *-) (lol)

Peter James - 2011-04-13 3:10 PM

Interesting link, Thank You.

Just a thought but if the ground isn't perfectly flat (and where is) the twisting in the suspension must make a difference. So if you drive on to it, thereby weighing every wheel in a different place, it must be less accurate than if you keep the van in the same place and jack every wheel on to it. But, unless you have a garage lift, you would have to jack each wheel separately for the unit, and the bit of wood the other side. Jacking up a wheel 8 times to weigh the van once.

Hi Peter

If its any help, I used the road outside my cottage no probs, good and level, used a piece of (40mm) thick wood under the oposite wheel as recomended to get better than 3% acuracy,

just drove the opposite wheel up on the wood put the scales in front of the wheel you want to weigh then drive over the scales (you do not have to park on them) all four wheels took 5 mins, simple, no jacking up no hassle

You know there must be a market out there renting these out at £25 a time to people buying new motorhomes!!!!

John

I've seen so many overloaded vans in my career, and many of the drivers are in complete denial that they may be even slightly over loaded. Like it or not, the traffic cops have cottoned on to the fact that many are overloaded and its easy money for them! So many vans have so little payload, its so easy to be overloaded. Not knowing, or pleading ignorance won't wash when your in front of the beak!

Yes it is cheaper to go to a public weigh bridge, again sadly very few bother! Mainly because they can't be bothered, they won't get caught, they don't plan on having an accident (yes your insurance will be void if over loaded, even if its not your fault) and so on.... Where as having one in your locker makes it so much easier and convenient to double check your weight.

Spoke to a guy with a new Swift Bolero and mentioned to him about the weight problem/situation that can arise.

His reply was " what weight problem, I thought you just filled it up using the cupboards and stowage available. Otherwise why do manufacturers fit them if you can't just fill them up ".

Plus he had no intention of going to a weighbridge even though I advised told him about police being more vigilent both in the UK and in Europe.

Seems he thought that either I was a wind up merchant, or just a born worrier - just cant help some people.

*-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I pulled this thread out after a search and wondered if anyone had an update on these units?

My M/home has a 3500kg MAM and I will be putting some bikes on the towbar, (but keeping the bike batteries in the cab over the front wheels to even up the weight)

I know I am skating near the MAM limit, so looking for accurate measure for the loading. I could upgrade to 3800, (My Rapido can be re-plated with no problem) but do not really want go though this route to resolve the problem as staying at 3500kg allows me to be a “car” which has a certain advantages. (Although paying less VED would be attractive)

From other searches it would seem that weigh bridges designed for HGVs are not too accurate for lighter vehicles and there seems to be no “public” means of weighing lighter vehicles.

As always thanks for your thoughts.

never had a problem with weigh bridges,

double check because we have a few that are reasonably accessible, get same result from different places.

ergo - happy!!

BUT - don't understand comment about 'being a car'

suggest you check threads on VED licensing

you should have body type - motor caravn

and class is ????? err can't remember off-hand - but isn't diesel car!!

suggest you read up and get it re-classified

:D

Archived