Hook-up cable extension.

Brian Kirby

From time to time the question of extending hook-up cables arises, usually in connection with use on continental sites, where feeder pillars can be thinly spread.

Broadly, there are two remedies.  Either carry a 50M cable (which conflicts with both UK club's site rules, though I am unaware that this is enforced), or join two 25M cables. 

Re-winding a longer cable can become tedious if the cable is fully unwound before use (to eliminate the danger of heat build-up if used coiled) and, if 2.5mm cable is used, as recommended, it will be both heavy, and relatively stiff and difficult to handle.

So, joining two 25M cables, as and when necessary, has some advantages over using one long, heavy, cable.  The main drawback, is that the standard blue CEE connectors are not suitable for this use, unless it can be guaranteed that they will be kept off the ground.  The reason is that they are rated at IP44, which means they are only splashproof, rather than waterproof.  So in rain, if lying on the ground, they may become immersed in puddles, and will in any case be subjected to conditions beyond their intended use.  This creates possible risks should the plugs be handled when wet.

Connector shrouds/covers can be used to counter this risk, but they are bulky, do not appear that convenient, or wholly convincing.  A better solution, as I have recently discovered, is to use a higher rated plug/socket at one end of each cable.  These are similar in shape/colour to the standard item (blue = 230V), but are made to IP67, which is waterproof, and capable of withstanding complete immersion to 1 metre.  The obvious difference is the manner in which the cable entry and the body of the plug/socket is sealed, and the fact that when two such units are connected together, a simple locking ring is used to pull them onto mating seals, so that the whole assembly is rendered watertight.

The full IP67 (waterproof) rating is only achieved when both elements are individually IP67 rated, and then only if the locking ring is employed.  If the two connected without employing the locking ring, IP44 (splashproof) will be achieved, and either socket or plug can be connected to CEE IP44 fittings, in which case the IP44 rating will be maintained.

So, two cables.  One cable having an IP67 plug on one end and an IP44 socket on the other, and the other cable with an IP67 socket at one end and an IP44 plug at the other, will enable the usual IP44 connections to van and site feeder to be maintained under all circumstances, and when and if necessary, an IP67 connection between the cables to be made that can be left on the ground in relative safety.  This seems to be a better, more secure, simpler, solution to long cable distances to site feeders than any other I have yet discovered.  The only downside is that the IP67 plugs/sockets are about £15 - £20 each, as opposed to £5 - £10 each for IP44.  But then, there's always a drawback somewhere, isn't there?  :-D

I carry a 25m + 10m and have found 75% of the time the 10m does it, with the advantage of ease of use, have never needed more than the total 35m. Its always dry and sunny on my holidays so don`t worry about anything else (I wish!)

Like the previous contributor we have two cables of 25m and 10m, whcih we find very convenient, as quite often in UK we can reach the electric sockets with the shorter one, which is much easier to rewind!

On continental sites we have had quite a few occasions where we need both, and basically we do as others do......connect the two, and wrap a carrier bag around them, making sure that they are sealed sufficently to stop any rain / water ingress

.In effect this is much what we often find we have to do when connecting the standard blue plug to the typical French 2pin socket by the use of a short lead with the appropriate connections hanging down from thesocket box!

I have many times joined 2 normal cables even at home, and to make them water resistant , put the couplings in a heavy gauge plastic bag and seal the opening, while no good in a puddle, (I wouldn't leave it in a low, lay it on something if necessary),

Its always been O/K

Archived