Tourist visas for OZ

Don Madge

We have just returned from a very enjoyable 3 month visit to Perth, Western Australia.

We are planning to return in December for a longer (4/5 months) visit and hopefully miss most of the cold weather here.

We had a 3 month tourist visa for this trip that came free and was obtained on line. After a thorough search it appears that if we want a tourist visa for over 3 months we will have to pay A$105 each. Also as we are both over 75 we will need an "aged visitor health check" at our expense. For this we will have to travel to Manchester.

We have the option of getting a free 3 month visa in the UK and extending it when we are in OZ at a cost of A$255 each, at A$1.5 to the pound sterling it ain't a cheap option.

So if anybody over 75 who has gone through the procedure to get an extended visa I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Safe travelling.

Don

That seems steep Don.

Like you..going out there later this year [Aug/Sept] we normally stay for about 6 weeks or so and because of that we have had few problems. [never any problems in Queensland?]

This year. we are going. because we are celibrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary ..and I and her indoors would wish to stay for a longer period [rest of our lives really!!]

We have not been for a while..last time..about 3/4 years ago it wsa £1=A$2.4..

My `oppos` {ex Navy [] who live there inform me that everything is relative??? and we will be ok.. cash wise?? prices have adjusted to encompass the differential??

Should I get any info I will post ASAP

Have a great time..in gods country

David G

cheetahdavie - 2011-04-10 11:51 PM

That seems steep Don.

Like you..going out there later this year [Aug/Sept] we normally stay for about 6 weeks or so and because of that we have had few problems. [never any problems in Queensland?]

This year. we are going. because we are celibrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary ..and I and her indoors would wish to stay for a longer period [rest of our lives really!!]

We have not been for a while..last time..about 3/4 years ago it wsa £1=A$2.4..

My `oppos` {ex Navy [] who live there inform me that everything is relative??? and we will be ok.. cash wise?? prices have adjusted to encompass the differential??

Should I get any info I will post ASAP

Have a great time..in gods country

David G

Hi David,

As you have not visited for 3/4 years I think you are in for a big shock on the cost of living in OZ. We were in WA where the cost of living is higher than the rest of the country, but even in the east you will find the prices quite steep.

Because of the floods in Queensland affecting the banana crop we were paying £9 (yes nine) per kilo for bananas. Fresh fruit is also very expensive. A dozen eggs cost £3.30 so I don't understand your oppo's idea "that everything is relative??? and we will be ok.. cash wise?? prices have adjusted to encompass the differential??".

Who do you plan to fly with in August? I will be interested ion your flight details.

Regards

Don

Archived