Television - the final straw!!!

terryW

Currently sat at home having waved goodbye to the annual visitors, with a glass of wine and settling down to some prime time television viewing. Some hope, but perhaps it's me. Absolutely nothing on all those channels that interests me or I haven't watched at least three time. In the end it looks as if the evening is going to be saved by Radio 4 with a radio play. Just what am I paying for?

Best thing we bought is the disc recorder thingy that allows us to scan the listings and record the programmes that are aired when we cannot watch them. We watched a recorded film and a couple of the "Boat that Guy built" (?) episodes and had a good evening.

If we relied on what was scheduled!!!! :-S 8o| *-)

I'm with CliveH on this.

We rarely find anything worth watching ' live ' so we just scan the schedules for anything of interest to record then watch it at leisure.

Trouble is we accumulate weeks of viewing to catch up on, and often have to 'dump' a few programmes to make recording space.

:-)

Well I know what I'm paying for...............excellent coverage of the formula 1 season and in HD with full surround sound. Worth every penny in my mind just for this but there is so much more on as well. The boat that guy built, Silk, Monroe and plenty more.

D.

CliveH - 2011-04-10 9:21 AM

Best thing we bought is the disc recorder thingy that allows us to scan the listings and record the programmes that are aired when we cannot watch them. We watched a recorded film and a couple of the "Boat that Guy built" (?) episodes and had a good evening.

If we relied on what was scheduled!!!! :-S 8o| *-)

The Boat that Guy Built: Awesome stuff!!

I like films, so ususlly something to look for, tape and then watch; try Laura, ( tomorrow). Rodger Dodger , tonight is quite good

Also v keen on cycling;some big one day races on now; hope to goand watch in the van next year

Just back from two nights at Formby; lovely

Guest 1footinthegrave
terryW - 2011-04-09 9:19 PMCurrently sat at home having waved goodbye to the annual visitors, with a glass of wine and settling down to some prime time television viewing. Some hope, but perhaps it's me. Absolutely nothing on all those channels that interests me or I haven't watched at least three time. In the end it looks as if the evening is going to be saved by Radio 4 with a radio play. Just what am I paying for?

Complete crap in a word. Producers so tied up with political correctness that everything is a shade of grey.Just think of some of the programs in the past, they would never get made today, let alone aired. Why even Noddy and big ears, or Sooty and sweep, would never see the light of day, and forget "Love thy neighbour" .

Guest Tracker

Bring back good old British humour and s*d 'em all!

Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson - to name but two.

...........................and the Robertson Jam Golliwogs!

It's OUR country and incomers are most welcome as long as THEY adapt to OUR ways.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Could not agree more, fat chance though. You can't laugh at anything these days in case someone is offended, poor little fragile wall flowers.

Guest Tracker
1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 1:14 PM

Could not agree more, fat chance though. You can't laugh at anything these days in case someone is offended, poor little fragile wall flowers.

On behalf of the Wallflower Preservation Society I must object to that comment and you will be prosecuted - sorry I mean persecuted - by the Pansy Protection League - for publicising such extreme views if you persist!

Guest Tracker
Dave Newell - 2011-04-11 6:24 PM

How did a thread about the quality of current British TV turn into a race issue?

D.

I didn't think it was a race issue?

More a political correctness issue?

Guest 1footinthegrave

How did a thread about the quality of current British TV turn into a race issue?

D.

And you perfectly make the point, NO ONE mentioned race, just political correctness. But as ever someone will always rush in waving the "race" card.

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 7:12 PM

D.

And you perfectly make the point, NO ONE mentioned race, just political correctness. But as ever someone will always rush in waving the "race" card.

I disagree, mentioning Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson and the Robertson Jam Golliwogs ... think what they've all got in common ...

*-)

However, I take the point that things in some respects have gone to 'PC'.

Listening to Jeremy Vine today one of his items was about the banning in France of the wearing in public of the full-face veil (over the eyes) and the other one (can't remember the exact names) which just show the eyes ... made interesting listening as I was stripping (steady ... it was wallpaper of course :$ ).

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2011-04-11 8:10 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 7:12 PM

D.

I disagree, mentioning Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson and the Robertson Jam Golliwogs ... think what they've all got in common ...

*-)

What exactly,or did they all have a connection to Jam ?

As for the Golliwog as a child growing up I can remember with great affection collecting my metal badges, never occurred to me or any of my generation any racist intent or connection, it was a coveted and loved symbol nothing more, nothing less, until the racist thing blew up in the seventies. You can put anything under a magnifying glass and find something to object about, if your view is distorted enough.

Tracker said "...........................and the Robertson Jam Golliwogs!

It's OUR country and incomers are most welcome as long as THEY adapt to OUR ways."

That sounds pretty racist to me, what have Robertson Jam Golliwogs got to do with todays TV content?

D.

Guest Tracker

There will of course always be those who, claiming to be politically correct and non racist, want to take and twist every tongue in cheek comment out of context to suit their own ends. They seem to delight in trying to make others look as if they are racially motivated whilst they themselves are whiter than white - whoops wrong words again - should be cleaner than clean - and this is to a large degree much of the problem in this country.

If you or I wish to live in any other country we will probably find that we either adapt to their customs and traditions and learn their language or we struggle. You don't find the French or Spanish authorities, hospitals, Police etc getting interpreters for you - if you no speakee de lingo you get your own interpreters at your own expense - and you certainly don't get official forms in 27 languages.

So because I like my Golliwogs and risque jokes and am saddened by the manor of their demise that makes me a racist eh?

2 + 2 = 5?

How sad that people actually think like that

Guest 1footinthegrave
Dave Newell - 2011-04-11 9:15 PM

Tracker said "...........................and the Robertson Jam Golliwogs!

It's OUR country and incomers are most welcome as long as THEY adapt to OUR ways."

That sounds pretty racist to me, what have Robertson Jam Golliwogs got to do with todays TV content?

D.

I guess we have to agree to disagree what appears racist. But the point has to be made, that any time we all walk round on eggshells, trying not to offend, and my view is this hampers TV entertainment. What was once thought of as harmless kick around banter, has now become a hanging offence.That's why I mainly tune in to TV gold. As for incomers, I moved to Wales 20 years ago, but I can tell you anti English racism is alive and well here, but I've got a thick skin, and do you know what, I don't give a fig.

:-| :-|

In true Tracker style rather thasn apologise for offending anyone he turns it around to accuse me of twisting everythin he says to suit my own ends and taking delight in trying to make others look racist.

Dick, I've got news for you, I don't need to do or say anything to make you look racist, you manage that very well on your own.

Now can someone explain to me what Robertson jam golliwogs have got to do with current TV contect quality?

Back to the original topic, last night I found four entertaining and interesting programmes on "normal" channels. Bang goes the theory, How do they do it, The gadget show and Law and order. I then recorded the film from Channel five for viewing at a later date.

There is plenty of good quality, educational, entertaining content on TV presently.

D.

Guest 1footinthegrave
The gadget show, you can't be serious, four or five presenters talking about the latest must have ( but soon to be confined to the landfill site for useless electronic garbage) I'd sooner knock six inch nails in my feet. 8-)

Oh but I am serious, who out of the male population can resist the charms of Pollyanna Woodward and Suzi Perry on a vibrating exercise seat......together! 8-) (lol) .

But to level things up I cannot stand any of the soaps yet millions of viewers love them. The moral is we are all different and different people like different things and if you look around the variety of channels available you should find something to entertain, educate or both. Maybe not always but often there is something on worth a look.

D.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Careful Dave, sounds a bit sexist, not at all politically correct either, and if they were black, well you know the rest.This is what we all have to be careful about these days, I was recently told that is was inappropriate to call the supermarket checkout lady "love" ,and this is what we all can easily fall foul of. Perhaps a TV program should be made telling us exactly what we can and cannot say, warning us of course if it contains flash photography. I will concede that most TV programs shown at peak times are for the lowest common denominator, I've only got to hear the Eastenders theme music to feel positively suicidal, oh well I've always got my HBO box sets to go at. :-|

Archived