Water pump issue

LordThornber

Hello gang, perhaps you can be of some help please.

We fitted a new inner bit for the Reich bathroom sink tap last year, due to a leak caused by frost. Ever since then the water pump "blips" on and off for a second at most whilst all the taps are closed and the pump is in the run position.

It doesn't do it all the time and so it's not been something we've bothered to look at. However, this weekend whilst away, the "blips" have lasted longer so it's causing a bit of a concern.

My guesses? It's "blipping" due to a tiny leak, (all the taps are closed) and my mate who fitted the new inner hasn't tightened summat up enough. Am I talking twaddle?

Or could it be something else, i.e. the pump getting worn? Sorry but I've no idea what sort of pump it is.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated as ever.

Martyn

Guest Tracker

It is possible that the pump and or hose is drawing air somewhere along it's length and that can make it blip.

If it is it will be in the 'suck' side - between pump and tank - including the pick up pipe inside the tank itself - and probably almost impossible to locate so all you can do is ensure all joints are as sound as they can be.

This might mean cuting back any compressed hose under jubilee clips and replacing or retightening them - assuming there is enough spare hose.

Beware of overtightening the pump filter or plastic nuts in case they split but if there are any rubber sealing rings they might be out of line or damaged or there could even be a small bit of grit somewhere preventing an airtight joint.

Air is thinner than water and can get in when water can't get out.

If there is a leak on the 'blow' side of the pump it could still let air in when not pumping but it seems unlikely and much more likely that the tap or one of the connections is not fully sealed.

Either way you might never find it but if it only now happens after a tap inner was replaced and did not happen before that would suggest to start looking at what was disturbed before fiddling about elsewhere?

Worn pump? I tend to doubt it as these things are very durable - usually?

After checking what was disturbed recently I would look at the pump filter bowl as on many Shurflo pumps - if yours is a Shurflo? - this screws onto the pump body and can loosen or the seal compress over time and can allow air in and/or water out.

So it's down on hands and knees for you, locate the pump, tighten it all up and report back!

I often get accused of getting it wrong and so it might be with this so the following discalaimer applies!

As ever this is a non 'expert', non definitive reply and is based solely on my own experience over the years!

Terry/Rich, thankyou very much indeed.

I'm no great DIY 'er but I'm happy to work in my comfort zone. I'll get some water on board in the next day or 2 and take a look at the pump whilst it's running/blipping.

I'll check what connections I can get my mitts on too. If I don't see anything out of the ordinary I'll get my mate to check the refitted tap and the pipes to it.

Many thanks again.

Martyn

Guest peter
I had the same problem on my boat this weekend and found it was the connecting nut on the intake side of the pump had loosened. The pump got frosted up over the winter so maybe the ice forced it loose, and like Martyn it popped one of the tap inserts. Yeah I know I should have drained the tank, but wasn't expecting hard frost so early. :D

It's likely (as Tracker mentions) that your motorhome has a Shurflo pressure-sensitive water-pump.

If that's the case (and you can't spot any water or air leaks), then it is possible to adjust the pump's pressure-sensitive switch. The adjustment is made by (carefully) turning the CENTRE screw of the five that are in the outer end of the black plastic housing to which the water hoses connect. There are pictures of Shurflo pumps on the following link and the position of the adjustment-screw should be apparent.

http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-pumps/classic-series-water-pumps/shurflo-pumps/default.html#classic

My pump had a similar problem and eventually would not switch off. I looked for water leaks and poor connections but found nothing so assumed it was the pump. I pulled it apart and found nothing, put it all back together, filled up and it worked. Could have been an air leak on a pump connection perhaps. See my post: Water pump - Fiamma Aqua 8.

My other thoughts had been a faulty pressure switch or pump diaphragm. Must be a non return valve somewhere I suppose. Could there be a bit of lime scale / dirt preventing closure.

Good luck

Update time.

I took the screws out covering the pump and the board covering the pump doesn't, (surprise surprise) allow full access to the pump. Poor design AutoSleepers, What is needed is 2 pieces of ply...that's what will be going back in anyway.

Everywhere is dry by the way, so no (apparent) water leaks...

I've put some water in and my DIY mate seems to think that plugging the pipes as they head out from the pump will ascertain whether there is a leak at the taps, or between the bung and the taps at least.

So he's going to bung them near the "T" junction we assume is under the wardrobe.

Sadly due to time constraints that's going to have to wait until Saturday.

Martyn

Hello M'Lord.

It may also be worthwhile checking that your water heater "drain down" plug is securely closed......

(Not that it happened to keep me busy chasing the occasional pump "Tick" and with it being "outside" the van I didnt think to check it for quite a while.......... 8-) ....Der....Der dee dum.)

Ok, here goes, after stripping down the tap that we fitted a new inner to last year, we thought we'd cured it - not so.

So back to the drawing board. We took the tap out completely so as to properly check the push fit fittings for leaks and found a leak on the hot pipe connector.

Went to local dealer to buy one and none in, typical, so they're on order and we'll see if that cures it. If not it looks like it's the pump removal job :-(

Martyn

It seems you have found the culprit, even a small leak will cause occasional blips of the pump. I had this on my sailing boat last year and found that the hot water tank has a pressure relief valve which had a slight weep when the water was heated by the immersion heater. I am still trying to find a suitable replacement, for once an internet search has not come up with an original spare.

Guest Tracker
JamesFrance - 2011-04-17 11:15 AM

It seems you have found the culprit, even a small leak will cause occasional blips of the pump. I had this on my sailing boat last year and found that the hot water tank has a pressure relief valve which had a slight weep when the water was heated by the immersion heater. I am still trying to find a suitable replacement, for once an internet search has not come up with an original spare.

One of these fitted my Eberspacher water 'otter - I don't suppose it would work for you too??

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/12-3-bar-mf-pressure-relief-231-55

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2011-04-23 8:50 PM

Oh dear, the new connectors cured the tiny leak, but have failed to cure the blipping, grr >:-)

My mate is reluctant to mess with the pump (I don't mind one bit), even unscrewing the thing to get access is going to be difficult, oh well.....

Martyn

Don't despair yet Martyn - it may only be some air trapped in the system?

Give it a good flush through by keeping the pump running until you are sure that no trapped wind remains - funny thing trapped wind!

Still no joy? Make sure all the joints, pipes, taps, bowls etc are dry and leave the pump switched on and pressurised with all taps closed overnight and see if that leaves any evidence of a pump equivalent of a wet dream!

When all else fails I use a process of elimination by disconnecting and plugging the hoses starting nearest the pump until the 'blipping' blipping well stops after which you will at least know where the air/water leak isn't! You will need some towels to mop up the lost water too!

Guest pelmetman
We had this problem years ago :D ......................the secret is!.... turn the pump off when you dont need it ;-)

Tracker - 2011-04-23 10:02 PM

One of these fitted my Eberspacher water 'otter - I don't suppose it would work for you too??

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/12-3-bar-mf-pressure-relief-231-55

Thanks for that Tracker, but unfortunately it is a combined pressure relief and non return valve on the inlet of a Quick boiler. The only supplier I found has a lousy reputation, so I won't order from them.

Sorry for off topic.

Guest Tracker
James - surely a pressure relief valve is a non return valve in itself - water can only flow out under excess pressure but neither air or water can flow back in at all - or have I got it all wrong again !?!?

Archived