Upton-on-Severn parking..Some spoiling it for all?

pepe63xnotuse

I've lifted the following from this site:

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml

(.. I hope that's okay?..apologies if it isn't.. :$ )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motorhomes banned from overnight stays at Upton on Severn.

Malvern Hills District Council have informed us that, due to 'exessive use' of the Hanley Road car park by motorhomes, overnight stays will no longer be 'tolerated' there. To qoute their spokesman:

"Last summer for several days before the Western Motorhome show opened at the 3 Counties Showground we had 23 Motorhomes taking up nearly all of the rear end of the car park. Of the 23 vehicles, 19 were displaying Blue badges and did not buying a parking ticket.

This was not an isolated incident, when Upton hold their music festivals we have had Motorhomes parked up for a week displaying their Blue Badge, therefore we shall now be enforcing the Parking Orders."

We are taking this issue up with Upton Town Council, the local Tourist and Trade Association, the Tourist Information Centre and Malvern Hills DC. Our view is that they should be treating this an an opportunity, not a problem!

However the fact that Blue Badge holders seem to be abusing the concession allowing them to park free of charge is a concern. We have no problem with them parking free of charge during the daytime but don't think that the free parking concession should apply to overnight stays.

We would be pleased to receive any comments on the subject - please use our contact form

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not entirely clear when this change was/will be brought in but the other items appear to be dated March this year.

We've passsed this park before now and noticed a couple of vans parked up but we didn'te realise that some folk were using their badges to "pitch" for free... :-S

Sounds like the blue badge holders taking the p*** but the council's over reaction is discouraging well behaved Motorhomer's.

A more sensible approach would be to charge a small fee for overnight stops which is also applicable to blue badge holders & ban overnighting when the festival & Motorhome show is on. When the festival is on there are adequate camping facilities provided only a couple of hundred yards from the town centre.

Well reading about it on another forum(..on which it did turn into a bit of a Blue Badge bash to be honest!),it sounds as if there was an overnight charge..but it sounds as if those with the badges didn't need/or think they needed to pay....

..and I suppose as it would cost to "police",you can see why the council have stopped it...

A pity that a few have spoilt it for all...

Guest 1footinthegrave
To qualify for a blue badge the criteria is the person must have severe mobility issues. I know I'm going to upset a lot of people, but few that I have seen with this concession are any less able than me. However there now seems to be a growing consensus that this system is grossly abused, so as ever the genuine get tarred with the same brush, and spoil it for the genuine.

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 7:23 PM

To qualify for a blue badge the criteria is the person must have severe mobility issues. I know I'm going to upset a lot of people, but few that I have seen with this concession are any less able than me.

I don't see why people should be upset by your comment, it's one that's expressed often enough on the basis of no information.

Anne has a blue badge, and to see her get out of the van you might wonder why as she appears to have no problems with mobility. However, her condition is such that once she's walked maybe 100 yards she is absolutely knackered. So the ability to park very close to her destination is very very much appreciated. Perhaps you'ld like to swap with her for a week or two?

Having said that, I really don't understand why the blue badge also entitles the holder to exemption from parking charges in most places. How does disability necessarily imply a need for free parking as well as an advantageous parking spot?

John.

Guest pelmetman
I suppose the council are not interested that the 23 motorhomers would be spending money in the local shops resturants *-)

pepe63 - 2011-04-11 2:33 PM

I've lifted the following from this site:

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml

(.. I hope that's okay?..apologies if it isn't.. :$ )

It's fine, thanks for the link :-)

I've actually been following this up with Malvern Hills District Council, who control the car park, and Upton on Severn Town Council, who were due to bring up the issue at a recent council meeting.

I haven't heard back from Upton Council but the latest from MHDC is that they have no immediate plans to revise their Off Street Parking Orders, it is those regulations that determine the classes of vehicle which can park overnight (currently only coaches and HGVs). They also stated that any benefit from allowing motorhomes to stay overnight would have to be balanced against the potential displacement of the HGVs that use the overnight parking facility.

I haven't given up, in fact I'm writing to both councils again this week.

Writing letters seems to generate more response than sending emails in this case, if anyone else would like to contribute, the addresses are:

The Town Clerk

Upton upon Severn Town Council

Memorial Hall,

Old Street,

Upton upon Severn

WORCESTER

WR8 0HA

(no email)

The Leader of the Council

Malvern Hills District Council

Council House

Avenue Road

Malvern

WR14 3AF

(committee@malvernhills.gov.uk)

Andy

pelmetman - 2011-04-11 9:19 PM

I suppose the council are not interested that the 23 motorhomers would be spending money in the local shops resturants *-)

Aah, but would they?

If they are the type unwilling to pay a reasonable fee for an overnight stop, they may well have brought all their requirements with them from their local supermarkets. :-|

When I was a mere cycle tourist (that is before we got our motorhome) a few years back, one of the Tourist Boards surveys indicated that cycle tourists spent on average £38 per night on accommodation, food purchases etc.

They indicated that most Motorhomers brought their stuff with them and didn't actually contribute much to the local economy.

Thankfully, this doesn't apply to me now. For instance, last week we ate out on all 3 nights and used the local Post Office and shop for various purchases too.

Just wonder IF the Council checked to find out if the Motorhomes displaying Blue Badges were actually slept in overnight. ?

It is possible that the Owners were only parking their Vehicle in the Car Park, rather than in the Streets.

Our Motorhome is used regularly to cater for my Wife's disability, not necessarily for sleeping in.

example - we are attending 2 weddings this year & the Motorhome will be our transport, but we are booked into Hotels overnight.

If the Ownersare booked into B&B's, etc., it's possible there is inadequate parking for Motorhomes.

No problems with Blue Badge scheme but how many vehicles are actually used by the person with the disability. Many times I've seen people parked in 'Disabled Bays' & the person puts up a Blue Badge then proceeds to practically run to the shop/supermarket. Many blue badges are abused & it's time councils started checking these vehicles to see if the disabled person is actually using the vehicle at the time the badge is being displayed.

I suspect there are a number of traders who agree with Nuevoboy's comments. Some years ago we found a pub/restaurant that had a small camping field and we often visited after work on a Friday for a weekend of good food.

We were told by the publican that a significant proportion of the campers never used the pub other than the loos and he had even seen them in the garden drinking there own beer!! All they were interested in was cheap camping .I guess a number of the "Upton on Severn 23" come into this category.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Dixie - 2011-04-11 8:16 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 7:23 PM

To qualify for a blue badge the criteria is the person must have severe mobility issues. I know I'm going to upset a lot of people, but few that I have seen with this concession are any less able than me.

I don't see why people should be upset by your comment, it's one that's expressed often enough on the basis of no information.

Anne has a blue badge, and to see her get out of the van you might wonder why as she appears to have no problems with mobility. However, her condition is such that once she's walked maybe 100 yards she is absolutely knackered. So the ability to park very close to her destination is very very much appreciated. Perhaps you'ld like to swap with her for a week or two?

So I obviously upset you, with an offer to swap my ailments with your good lady. This was not a personalized attack on you or the BB scheme in general, so I cannot see any justification for such a petty comment To deny this scheme is abused is to fly in the face of overwhelming evidence, and many prosecutions for DLA fraud back this up, the recent bloke who was a ballroom dancer champ to name but one of hundreds, and the Golf "pro" This impacts on you to deny you on occasions a space, so don't get cross with me, rather with them. And the fact that approx ( according to the government) over 1 Billion is lost through disability fraud that you and I have to find from our own pockets.

Guest Peter James
1footinthegrave - 2011-04-12 8:20 PM

And the fact that approx ( according to the government) over 1 Billion is lost through disability fraud that you and I have to find from our own pockets.

Of course I trust the Governments Statistics implicitly *-)

No need to ask our politicians to produce any evidence of their claims is there

But if they have really discovered a billion pounds of disability fraud why haven't they stopped it (?)

Guest 1footinthegrave
They are trying to stop it, UK courts are full of prosecutions every day of every week. No none of us believe Government statistics, but don't really see your point other than that. No fraud, everyone genuine ?

Going back to the carpark in question,be they genuine,deserving blue badge holders or not,the fact is they've taken the mickey out of the "free parking" and have ended up spoiling it for every body..!

Okay,park "for free" during the day(..if they feel they really "need" to *-) )but they should've coughed up the few quid it would cost for the overnight charge..

I hope they're satified with themselves... :-|

Moving slightly away from just BBs,personally this whole mentality of, "..I don't need it but I'm entitled to it,so I'm havin' it..!", really pees me off! (..winter fuel allowance,free bus travel etc ).

It's all got to be paid for at some stage(...and when their grandkid's play group shuts down due to lack of funds,who moaning then eh?)

Rant over *-)

But I am here all week folks... ;-)

Guest pelmetman

I still think our local councils are missing a trick by not introducing the aires system, they moan about lack of funding but could simply add a 24hr parking ticket facility to their machines :D

I wouldn't mind paying £5 to be in a pleasant town and be able to walk to a nice pub/resturant. I dont even think any facilities would be needed as most campers can last a few days without the need of water etc B-)

Such a simple money spinner *-)

Guest pelmetman
As I read the OP it seems like the council are prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water because in their eyes the facility was abused "for a few days" 8-) ...............It seems to me that the council is more miffed that they missed out on some parking revenue than the potential gain to the local economy from 23 extra wallets *-)

Dont know why anyone would want to spend a night in a town center car park when there are £6 pn CL's available :-S

As for BB users, I understand the need to park close to towns to do your shopping. or a doctors appointment etc if you have genuine mobility issues however I never understood why this was also for free. Seems to me that if you can afford to run a car (note that I said run as I am well aware that a lot get the vehicle for free or reduced rate) then you should also pay the same as a fully mobile person. You should certainly be able to afford to pay the parking charge if you can afford to buy and run a mototrhome.

Sometimes I think that certain "benefits" are too easily available and are therefore taken advantage of, by a few. I think that we should all pay for what we do or want and that includes parking.

PS

Having a particularily grumpy day today so that was fun :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Off topic I know, but we have close neighbours who together with all their extended family all have various problems, none of whom are able to work, have never done so ever, latest daughter with number 4 about to arrive, all bills paid by you and me, and parts of Wales have the highest numbers on incapacity benefit in the UK. I have every sympathy for anyone with genuine difficulties, but I really cannot see why BB holders should in many cases get to park for free, especially in a motor-home, yet I on a basic state pension have to pay. Oh well, moan over. :-(

"onefoot"

In this day and age it does not pay (literally) to be fit and healthy or to have a job, or to have saved for your retirement, or to have done well for yourself in any way at all. Britain seems to be the only country that penalises those that do well in life and "over" support those that choose to do nothing with there life.

I would have agreed with a lot of the comments on here until recently - last year I had an accident then had to have my umpteenth operation on my foot - now full of arthritis. The operation has made matters worse, the screws need removing and now I need bone removed, a plate fitted and for the rest of my life to wear orthopaedic pads as the repeated surgery has caused all padding to waste away so am walking on the bones in my feet with no protection.

Wearing trainers helps me to walk a few hundred yards but never being pain free I applied and was issued with a blue badge recently. It is a God send! I really thought I would be in my dotage before I needed one of these but have been told I don't look disabled on more than one occasion. I thought the same before I needed mine and would like to apologise to all the people I have probably maligned over the years with similar muttering. You never know the true story so should not critisise those less fortunate. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

No one, including me is maligning the genuine, and like others I would extend my sympathies to you as there is nothing worse than constant pain, and indeed my wife is afflicted with Osteoarthritis, thank God it does not affect her walking though, but this is the type of stuff guaranteed to have me champing at the bit. Below is just one of many high profile cases, oddly a soldier who lost his leg was turned down for DLA, and a blue badge recently, go figure...................................................................

A man who swindled £20,000 in disability benefits after claiming he could barely walk was caught out after wowing crowds at a jive dancing show.

Terence Read claimed to be crippled by arthritis.

But he is in fact an avid dancer who is an expert in energetic jazz styles such as the Charleston and Lindy Hop.

Video captured by investigators shows Read pulling off a string of athletic moves at a show in the Printworks leisure complex in Manchester city centre.

The 61-year-old was a regular performer on the dance exhibition circuit while drawing benefits meant for someone confined to a wheelchair >:-(

Just another thought on the BB users a bit off topic for the Upton thread but my lovely mother-in-law and yes she is lovely had a bb because she needed a hip replacement. This was carried out and the bb was recalled. the extra pressue over the years meant she needed a knee replacemnt but she had a devils own job getting onee despite her GP's recommendation. She can walk/hobble but she really needs ther disabled parking bays as these are wider to allow her to manouvre in and out of the car. So it's not all about running to the shops sometimes it's an accessability issue.

This thread seems, like the one on the other forum, to have become centred around the Blue Badge issue.

I have to say that I'm not sure of the exact reason that MHDC has now decided to enforce the regulations - I suspect they don't really have a problem with a few motorhomes staying overnight but they are concerned about greater numbers taking up spaces where HGVs normally park.

The BB issue is separate, I don't think most people have a problem with a few hours free parking being provided for BB holders, I really can't see that this should extend to free overnight parking as well though.

To ips, who asked:

Dont know why anyone would want to spend a night in a town center car park when there are £6 pn CL's available

Because you then have a choice of pubs or restaurants where you can enjoy a leisurely drink or a meal without being concerned about getting back to an out-of-town CL/CS/campsite.

Sure it's not for everyone, but it suits us - which is one reason we go over to Powys on a fairly regular basis.

Andy

Archived