Central Heating?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

An interesting - and quite annimated at times - conversation took place here between an electrician and a heating engineer in which the two contradicted each others theory on heating efficiency.

The heating engineer says running the heating and hot water via the timer with long periods of 'off' for the hot water and/or heating overnight is most efficient because nothing is running when you don't need it thus saving fuel?

The electrician says a 24 hour combined stat / timer for the heating with whatever temperature you want for each of five different periods over 24 hours and leave the hot water stat set so that the boiler tops it up whenever needed at anytime therefore the boiler never has to heat either the home or the water from cold is more efficient than long off periods?

I tend to gravitate towards the heating engineer's theory on the grounds that heat losses when a higher temperature is maintained would be higher than heating from a cooler level - but I can see the vitues of the electrician's idea?

Any thoughts anyone?

Guest pelmetman
We currently are trying the oil boiler switched on all the time, with the house temp set at 15 degrees and the hot water on permanent :D ..............................not noticed any increase in oil use B-)

For the last two years we have left the heating on all day from around 7.30am to about 11.00pm and looking back on old bills, when it was set to go on and off throughout the day, it does not look as if we are using more gas for heating. We only run the hot water for short periods as we only use it for showering.

David

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2011-04-11 9:04 PM

We currently are trying the oil boiler switched on all the time, with the house temp set at 15 degrees and the hot water on permanent :D ..............................not noticed any increase in oil use B-)

15 degrees? do you sit in the house with thermals and ski gear on all the time? :D

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2011-04-12 12:08 AM

15 degrees? do you sit in the house with thermals and ski gear on all the time? :D

We have the log burner for when its gets abit chilly like in December -14 :D .................I have noticed when friends come round they rarely take their coats off (lol)

A very interesting thread this. We have oli heating and I have often pondered on the two scenarios mentioned. With the cost of oil I havent had the bottle to leave the heating on for a long perion so would be interested in letting someone else do the testing :-D

Archived