What is the difference in 5 W30 oils

david1949

It,s time to change the oil in my Transit Motorhome so i went to Halfords to buy some 5W30 oil and after checking it out i cannot understand the difference in the the 5W30 oils.

The oil that is used for my Ford is 5W30 Fully Synthetic at Halfords the 5W30 spec for Ford is £27.50 / also at Halfords the 5W30 oil for VW/Audi Fully Synthetic Oil suitable for most VW, Audi, Seat, & Skoda vehicles is £49

So is the £49 oil a better oil as it is still 5W30 and i should be able to use it in my Transit so hope someone can help me understand why is the two 5W30 oils different as all engines need as much

protection as possible.

I'm a great beleiver in using something that meets the spec that the manufacturer puts forward.

Ford publish a specification, and the oil companies create a product to meet it. If it contains a specific blend of oils/detergents, etc. and you use something else, there is always a chance (admittedly slight), that any subsequent warranty claim will be disputed, after checking what is in use.

As you are doing your own oil change, I suspect the latter is probably now of little concern.

In theory, the Ford Oil is fairly basic A1 spec (but see later), which is the baseline (albeit, quite reasonable), for fuel economy.

The VW oil is likely to be A3/B4 spec, which MAY be taken as being higher performance, but just as likely MAY mean that the oil is designed for extended drain intervals (I think VWs are now heading for 20K miles, rather than the Ford's 15k). The higher coding can mean higher performing oil and/or longer drain times.

Ford have, however, recently increased their drain times to 20k miles (not that most motorhomers are going to reach that), accompanied by a hike in their specification (from WSS-M2C913-B to WSS-M2C913-C)

The info in the current Ford manual is quite revealing:

Topping up the oil:

If you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined

by WSS-M2C913-C, you must use SAE 5W-30 (preferred), SAE 5W-40 or SAE

10W-40 that meets the specification defined by either ACEA A5/B5 (preferred) or

ACEA A3/B3. Using these oils can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced

engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

Castrol engine oil recommended.

....now the Castrol Magnatec A1 (Ford) meets the above WSS-M2C913-C spec - which implies to me that it is really A5/B5 specification (which is defined as A1/B1 fuel economy combined with A3(or 4)/B3(or 4) performance).

Can't see any reason not to use the Ford spec Magnatec (especially as it is currently reduced at Halfords, where you are already looking)

hi, its called mark up. also some oils are reclaimed products. Also remember you can,t mix fully synthetic oil with normal oil. just go with a good make of oil to suit your engine and you can,t go far wrong. of late i have been going to kwik fit for both the cars as it worked out cheaper for them to do the oil charge then me just buying the oil. don,t know if they will do a motorhome have not asked yet.

michael

While on the subject of oils I thought I would mention the one we use.

Gulf Formula G 5W40 Fully synthetic.

What is odd about this oil is that it is described by the maker as 'fully miscible with semi synthetic oils'.

I was sceptical so carried out some tests before using it and even after 7 days I could not see any separation of the two oils tested, so we use this in all of our Euro 4 vans but not in the 2.8 Ducato Euro 3 due to oil leak problems already discussed. The benefit is obvious in that any rental clown that actually decides to top up the oil can do so with an off the shelf 10w40 semi with no problems arising from that.

Thought it might be interesting.

In addition; VW have always specified some spectacularly elaborate and expensive oils which for warranty purposes you are probably stuck with using but the benefits of longer drain times and improved fuel economy are riddiculously marginal and it's a good a case of 'snake oil' as I have ever heard. I don't believe anything that VW says since they stated that their 1.8T 20v engine used in the Passat, TT and Octavia produces 180hp but in the small print disclosed that this is only when using 98RON unleaded, which of course you don't because it's so expensive. Now that 98RON has all but disappeared and only 97 or standard 95RON available I wonder where they stand?

Some people will believe anything. Your 225hp TT is actually nearer 200hp! Sucker.

Not especially relevant but it does suggest that you should read the small print.

Nick

Archived