Purchase of my first Motorhome

Helene

pelmetman - 2014-06-16 8:57 PM

antony1969 - 2014-06-16 8:47 PM

pelmetman - 2014-06-16 8:33 PM

antony1969 - 2014-06-16 8:15 PM

Four dogs , parrot and iguana all on holiday with you in a motorhome .....you expecting floods ? trying to save all the animals ......your a modern day Noah

I hope she's planning on taking a pair of racists and bigots onboard............even a couple of Tory and Labour oikes maybe.................but if she wishes to specialize in a endangered species :-S.................then if I were her I'd round up a few Lib Dems ;-)..............

No need to save anyone from Lancashire though Dave ....... Does that count as bigotry or racism ?

Not at all Antony ;-)..................apparently they're being allowed to leave their open prison 8-).....................time to board the Ark ...................I baggy the Iguana :D.............It'll remind me of uncle Frank (lol)......

We can board the ark together Dave .....two Neanderthals together

I had a cheyanne (and it had a large fridge freezer) but not a large garage:i think an autotrail commanche would have a large garage that you could open up and gain access from the inside of the van which if it was modified would make a good travelling accomadation for your dogs ,ipersonally wouldnt like it if i couldnt get to my animals from the inside of the van more to reassure them and keep a check on them whilst travelling .which is what i beieve you mean,best of luck in your search pp:)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-06-16 9:04 PM

pelmetman - 2014-06-16 8:57 PM

antony1969 - 2014-06-16 8:47 PM

pelmetman - 2014-06-16 8:33 PM

antony1969 - 2014-06-16 8:15 PM

Four dogs , parrot and iguana all on holiday with you in a motorhome .....you expecting floods ? trying to save all the animals ......your a modern day Noah

I hope she's planning on taking a pair of racists and bigots onboard............even a couple of Tory and Labour oikes maybe.................but if she wishes to specialize in a endangered species :-S.................then if I were her I'd round up a few Lib Dems ;-)..............

No need to save anyone from Lancashire though Dave ....... Does that count as bigotry or racism ?

Not at all Antony ;-)..................apparently they're being allowed to leave their open prison 8-).....................time to board the Ark ...................I baggy the Iguana :D.............It'll remind me of uncle Frank (lol)......

We can board the ark together Dave .....two Neanderthals together

How romantic :->.............best not tell the Mrs eh? ;-)...................they wont understand *-)...............two blokes and a Ark of animals 8-).............at least we wont end up a mono culture like those Welsh blokes with Lamb :D.................

I don't collect exotic animals, I take in rescues that have not been cared for properly and need a lot of care and attention. I don't believe anyone should keep exotic animals, they should be living in their natural environment.

8 chickens kept in a 20 'x 20' pen, a parrot with at least 2 swings hanging from every ceiling in every room and an aviary playpen in the garden 1' x 6' for her to be able to have plenty of freedom when we cannot take her with us.

The cats are house cats and don't like to travel, they also have a huge pen in the garden

The iguana is 22 and has always enjoyed going being out in the sunshine, he is used to being in crowds as he goes to schools and youth clubs with me to educate children about the care and difficulties of keeping reptiles. The other reptiles are not used to travelling, so I would not put them through something that might stress them.

The parrot likes to travel, although we don't like to take her away for too long as she doesn't have the space that she would have at home.

They are very well cared for by my brother when we are not there. They are also watched via cctv and computers.

Guest pelmetman
mojocyber - 2014-06-16 10:59 PM

I don't collect exotic animals, I take in rescues that have not been cared for properly and need a lot of care and attention. I don't believe anyone should keep exotic animals, they should be living in their natural environment.

8 chickens kept in a 20 'x 20' pen, a parrot with at least 2 swings hanging from every ceiling in every room and an aviary playpen in the garden 1' x 6' for her to be able to have plenty of freedom when we cannot take her with us.

The cats are house cats and don't like to travel, they also have a huge pen in the garden

The iguana is 22 and has always enjoyed going being out in the sunshine, he is used to being in crowds as he goes to schools and youth clubs with me to educate children about the care and difficulties of keeping reptiles. The other reptiles are not used to travelling, so I would not put them through something that might stress them.

The parrot likes to travel, although we don't like to take her away for too long as she doesn't have the space that she would have at home.

They are very well cared for by my brother when we are not there. They are also watched via cctv and computers.

Clearly your a worthy person ;-)..................But forgive me if I seem rude in asking why your first post was so confrontational? :-S..................

As many of us travel quite happily and safely with our animals to far flung places without drama .............. we know a couple who make a regular trek to Spain with 2 dogs 1 cat and a Parrot ;-) ..................

Edit to add............as your first post was on this thread might we assume you are contemplating buying a camper?

Guest Had Enough
mojocyber - 2014-06-16 10:59 PM

That's very cruel. Even animals are entitled to some privacy. Imagine if you were being filmed every time you take a dump or have a bit of nooky.

I know this because I foolishly decided to set up a camera to watch my four Amazonian double chested, lesser crested fantailed pied parakeets and after a few days they started behaving oddly and babbling incessantly.

We took them to an animal psychologist who said that they were very stressed and that it was from being closely watched. They were also badly constipated as they hadn't taken a dump for three days as they were too embarrassed to do so.

Regrettably they never recovered so we did the kindest thing and wrung their necks and ate them. They are lovely if casseroled in a nice wine sauce.

I think that the earlier suggestion is what you should consider. Fit a towbar and have two large trailers made and you can take all of your animals with you. The chickens would be very handy as you can convert them to a tasty meal in a few minutes.

Iguanas are very tough and would come in useful if your motorhome isn't level. They'd save you the cost of those leveling ramps that many people use.

I'm sure that, with a little thought, you could find a way of including your entire menagerie on your holiday trips and I know that there are many people on this site who will be able to help. We once a had a member who was very mean (in fact we've still got a few). This chap used to take a dozen homing pigeons in cages in his garage and he'd use them to send messages home every couple of days. He thought it was cheaper than stamps but to be fair he wasn't the brightest spark on here.

Anyway, whatever you do make sure that you turn off that cctv immediately. I would hate to have to report you to the RSPCA. Now you've been warned of the stress that it can cause you've no excuse for carrying on with this cruel practice.

I apologize if I sounded a bit confrontational, looking back at my post, it probably was a bit full on. I just believe that everyone has different views on what they think is right or wrong, and you should be able to give advice without being judgmental.

We already purchase a motorhome this year, but went out once with the dogs and parrot and found it really chaotic and not very much room. Large dogs are seatbelted in dining area, small dogs contained in secured carriers. The large dogs used the double bed in dining area to sleep and we used top cab bed. With parrot cage also on double bed, dining area.

We are going to try and manage this year, by using awning for extra room, and getting huge playpens for them to have more space when we are stopped, and using folding crates for large dogs to sleep in, maybe a smaller cage for the parrot to travel in, and a larger folding cage for when we are sited. Also going to purchase cool mats for warm weather. The rest will be well looked after. We are only planning on going for max of 2 to 3 nights away at a time. The dogs and parrot all like to be close so do not like to leave them behind.

Will probably have to rethink a bigger motorhome next year, possibly with bunks or fixed double beds, so that there will be a bit more room, and more places to sleep.

I did not know you could take a parrot abroad, thought it was just dogs..

Spent last night alongside a Dutch couple who had four cats,at least, in their motorhome. There was a cage for them in the garage but they appeared to have the run of the van as well. Lot quiter to pass the night than beside a parrot.

Archived