Loss Of Power on 160 multijet During Start Up

kenny

Hello all we have an 07 fiat 160 multijet and have been having a bit of a problem with the loss of power on start up. What happens is it starts no problem but there is no power are very little and a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust so we have to turn it of and restart it then it works fine. This seems to be happing quite a lot now and we where wondering if anybody else has had any problems like this and no what the problem is. As you can guess we have had it to the garage and it worked fine and they could not find anything wrong as normal

Thanks Ken

Your engine management system is closing down every time you attempt to start off, it could be any a number of things, I have a 3.0 ltr X250 and have had a similar thing happen to me, it could be air or fuel starvation and would need to be coupled up to a diagnostic computer if the problem isn't obvious. Is there any water or dampness that has run down the scuttle onto the back of the engine causing an electrical short or any wiring that isn't insulated?

Panic not; I am here!

You have a sticking EGR valve. It is part of the throttle body and is fairly common. Later vehicles have a modified one which is much better.

It should show up on the Examiner system as a saved fault, or you need to leave it with the dealer over night so they can start it cold and test it from first start. It is not massively expensive; just make sure you agree the labour to test and replace if necessary before they start. You should not be paying an expert for several hours of thinking about it.

Nick

Archived