Douro Valley Portugal

moanddave

Thank you. We can't really narrow it down as we don't know exactly where we want to go. We have found campsites at Peneda Geres, Lamego, Amarante and Vila Real but can't find any nearer towards Spain. Are the roads okay for a 6.7m motorhome?

moanddave - 2011-04-16 8:24 PM

Hi Malc, were there other motorhomes using the aires with you? We do use aires in France but have never used them in Spain or Portugal. And are there plenty of them?

Yes there are plenty of Aires and wild camping, Vicarious books [ All the Aires Spain and Portugal ] list a lot as do Camperstops also from Vic books is great, lots of Barragems [ Dams ] listed too . Our first stop in the Douro was at Miranda d Douro in the centre of the town next to the Castle, super spot.

moanddave - 2011-04-16 8:21 PM

Thank you. We can't really narrow it down as we don't know exactly where we want to go. We have found campsites at Peneda Geres, Lamego, Amarante and Vila Real but can't find any nearer towards Spain. Are the roads okay for a 6.7m motorhome?

You won't have any trouble with your size van, mine is about the same size and tag axle, we had no problems, at V.R de S A on the Algarve you will find about 50 vans wild camping, at the Harbour, water and toilet dump there, A must visit place are the mines at San Domingos and Pomarao on the Guadiana River, both good wild camping places with toilets and water,If you travel from Zafra in Spain to Pomarao you will find a new bridge that is not on many maps as it is very new, a good place to cross into Portugal now, we did it in reverse as that is the route we took coming home.

Mickt - 2011-04-17 9:43 AM

James,

Where abouts did you stay in Amarante please

It was a municipal site by the river close to the centre, but we haven't been there for 20 years and I cannot see it on the Roteiro Campista website, so maybe it is closed now. It is in the 1996 book which I have still, but we have not been that far north in Portugal for some time.

moanddave - 2011-04-17 1:40 PM

I have found a campsite 1.5kms from Amarante in the Caravan Club book. It's Camping Penedo da Rainha. Could this be the one?

No the municipal campsite was close in. From the town you would cross the bridge, turn right, walk past the market and the Camping gate would be just ahead. Quite small but very pleasant. If you looked down from the bridge you would see the women doing their washing in the river.

Archived