High Seats need a footrest ?

mike 202

On our motorhome my wife cannot sit very comfortably as her feet will not touching the floor. So as I was about to make a footrest, she suggested that we could as a tempory measure (We were in Spain at the time) place the leveling wedges under the cab mat, with the highest part facing forward.

The result was an instant success providing he with a perfect slope for her comfort and a place to stow the wedges. So one job less for me and a happy bunny in the navigators seat.

Mike

Mmm, might give that a try, but think our wedges aren't high enough.

nuevogirl's got a piece of foam wrapped in a Morrison's bag at the moment.

We do have a rubber mat on top to make it look semi-decent. *-)

Someone on here, months ago, mentioned using a box of some sort, which could accomodate something useful. In Tesco last week I spotted one that might suit. It was more or less "foot-sized" with a flat removable top and was reasonably strong. They had them in pale blue or yellow for around a fiver. Thought I might stick a bit of carpet on the top, to make it look the part.

Might even let her fill it with stuff she thinks is important but we menfolk don't consider essential :->

nuevoboy - 2011-04-17 3:53 PMMmm, might give that a try, but think our wedges aren't high enough.nuevogirl's got a piece of foam wrapped in a Morrison's bag at the moment.We do have a rubber mat on top to make it look semi-decent. *-) Someone on here, months ago, mentioned using a box of some sort, which could accomodate something useful. In Tesco last week I spotted one that might suit. It was more or less "foot-sized" with a flat removable top and was reasonably strong. They had them in pale blue or yellow for around a fiver. Thought I might stick a bit of carpet on the top, to make it look the part. Might even let her fill it with stuff she thinks is important but we menfolk don't consider essential :->

A google search for "inflatable travel footrest" will bring up lots of sites for this item. I bought her one and it stopped all the complaints and it's still in the box. Magic!!

Any kit that makes it into our PVC has to have at least two uses, so it's levelling wedges for my puny one.

She's very comfortable with her feet supported on the journey, then she has to get out pronto when we get to site and stick 'em under the wheels :D :D :D

She's tiny, so doesn't take up much room, and also has several uses, so makes it on to the 'van's kit list... ;-)

jhorsf - 2011-04-17 6:47 PM

never mind all these people who cant reach the floor will have the last laugh when they are in panto with snowwhite

naughty, naughty :-)

Actually, I 've been wondering why so many people take their dogs with them.

Surely a nice, soft, warm place to rest ones feet. (?)

My wife has a "Office Depot/Footmate Height Adjustable Footrest"

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/1/1/1345-office-depot-adjustable-footrest-460-x-360-mm.html

It is height adjustable & with tilting footplate.

Not the cheapest option, but for anyone who suffers from long periods of immobility when travelling, it gives the opportunity to excercise their feet & legs.

A cheaper lower height gain version:-

http://www.staples.co.uk/furniture/office-furnishings/foot-rests-and-foot-stools/active-footrest-black?r=bf

Or a non-pivot tilt style is available

http://www.staples.co.uk/furniture/office-furnishings/foot-rests-and-foot-stools/ergonomic-footrest?r=bf

I'm not a fan of an 'office' footrest - I used to use one but found that it moved about and was a nuisance, I also question the safety of it if a bit of heavy braking is called for as it would tilt and may cause injury. As we also exit/enter the 'van by the passenger door, it was also a nuisance having to step over it all the time as it cannot be stood on.

IMV the most useful and safest thing would be to acquire or make a strong box/crate to use as a rest to place your feet on, with useful storage one as someone else has done. It should be strong enough so it can be stood on, and should also remain static for safety, either due to its weight, or tethered to the bases of the passenger seat, but quick to release if needs be.

The other alternative would be to make a false (raised) floor for that area of the cab, similar to the type that used to be made for the walk-through between the cab seats of the old Fiats/Talbots.

Archived