Smoking Exhaust

Bebel

I have an Ace 680FB, with a 130 Multijet Fiat Ducato engine. Since its 2nd service it has smoked excessively particularly when acelerating. Despite returning several times to the dealer this problem has not improved - they suggested it was dirty diesel. At its last service the mechanic said that it would improve after a longer journey, as we had only used it locally last year. Sadly this is not the case. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? It sometimes emits so much it looks like a smoke screen (!)

May well have been dodgy fuel, had that problem myself.

After advice from my friendly engineer I cured ours by running the tank until the low fuel light was on then put in som Wynnes Diesel Treatment and topped up with a full tank of fuel. After about 100 miles smoke cleared and the engine ran more smoothly than it ever had before. I now use it on a six month basis.

The suggestion was that the diesel injectors and system had been 'gummed' up something which can happen over time apparently.

Bas

Hello,

These engines have a history of issues with either the egr control valve in the throttle body or the egr control solenoid. Either can cause smoke but normally also cause the engine management light to come on.

In your case, and if the light is not on you either have a problem with the turbo, a turbo pipe or the intercooler may have a small hole in it.

If it's the turbo this is usually accompanied by an oil leak close to the body of the turbo, and the same is true of the turbo pipes which will normally be weeping oil from where the damage is. Inspect both sides of the intercooler (under the coolant radiator) for any signs of oily emissions.

It is also worth checking that there are no air or breather pipes that have become detatched; this includes the two rubber pipes from the egr solenoid valve found just below the windscreen scuttle behind the bracket that is to the left of the air intake for the cabin.

Nick

PS The injectors are not known for having any problems at all. Not impossible; of course but any problems here would normally cause starting difficulties and would certainly put the management light on because the combustion process would be totally out of whack and every sensor downstream would throw up a fault.

After suffering the same issues but with a 2ltr jtd for nearly a year i have now managed to find the problem on our way back from Peterborough last weekend. Egr valve was cleaned last year by the garage, dodgy french fuel was blamed but it has turned out to be a hole in the rubber turbo hose caused by a fuse connector which has been there since new, I have not established what the fuse holder is yet but it looks as though it was not a fiat fit. Due to the flexibility of the hose under acceleration the hose was trapping the fuse connection, the hole upsets the pressure and allows the incorrect amount of fuel into the engine. I would check all hoses and clips before looking at more expensive matters i.e. turbo! I hope this may be of some help.

Archived