Omnistor Awning for campervan

Bulletguy

Try Jeff Bowen for a quote.

I guess you will be looking at the 5003 model for a Deuetto.

The 5003 replaces the 5002, but their website still shows 5002 also & at the same price as the 5003, so you may be able to do a deal on "old" model.

http://www.bowenawnings.co.uk/awnings/omnistor/5002.html

5002 or 5003 From 1.95 m to 4.55 m From £319

Alternatively if suitable the Omnistor 2000 starts at £229 for the 1.9m.

Pull out awning with telescopic arms and automatic roller system

Length: From 1.90 m to 3.00 m

All Omnistor roller awnings can be self fitted using an easy DIY installation kit. Details of the installation procedure can be found on the Omnistor site.

I don't know how others feel but I had a Fiamma awning on my previous van (Autosleeper Duetto) and an Omnistor on my current Swift Mondial.

In my opinion the Fiamma was better. The fabric was thicker and the winding arrangement was easier to operate as were the legs. The sprung legs on the Omnistor are an accident waiting to happen. The Omnistor is a flaming nuisance as the winding handle keeps getting stuck in the awning winding mechanism.

Another gripe with the Omnistor is the centre sprung pole. That is potentially lethal as I've only narrowly avoided scraping the side of the van when releasing the darn thing. The Fiamma is much easier to operate with a scew fitting and much more robust. For me its a Fiamma everytime; I haven't a clue why an Omnistor is considered to be preferable.

Horses for courses but i have an Omnistor after two previous Fiammas and prefer the Omnistor, sprung legs are much easier to release and set up, have`nt noticed the fabric any thinner. I agree with the comments on the winding mechanism. In the end though I would go for a choice based on price.

We had Autosleepers(Willeresy) fit a Fiamma F45 to our previous '03 Duetto...and one major flaw we found was that they couldn't(..or didn't!?) fix the mounting brackets close enough to the specified points,which meant that when deployed,the main pivots for the two folding support arms,were not properly supported causeing the main body/case of the awning to twist(..not a fault of the awning I should add).

Our current van came with an Omnistor and to be honest,we find it quite fiddly to use compared to the Fiamma, the method in which it unlatches/latches can be a bit hit and miss and "clattery"(..I've enquired about adjustment but apparently,there isn't any!)..and as mentioned,the way the legs are retained does not seem as robust.

Mike88 - 2011-04-19 5:20 PM

I don't know how others feel but I had a Fiamma awning on my previous van (Autosleeper Duetto) and an Omnistor on my current Swift Mondial.

In my opinion the Fiamma was better. The Omnistor is a flaming nuisance as the winding handle keeps getting stuck in the awning winding mechanism.

Hhmmm.......good point that.

My mates is an Omnistor and I had a go at winding it back in and couldn't for the life of me get the stupid handle out. His wife had to come to the rescue!

I may now re-consider!!

I've had 3 vans all came fitted with wind-out awnings, two were Fiamma and one Omnistor. I prefer Fiamma, better build quality IMO, however that said the number of times we have used an awning I could count on both hands in 12 years.

Last year we were away for over 6 months in total and used the awning once. It regularly features highly in my list of my most unused accessories. The van air-con is another it has not been used in 18 mths.

I certainly wouldn't bother if I had to have one fitted myself.

Must admit that's where you and I differ!

I've had a campervan before which had no awning and I lost count of the times I could have benefitted. But it was an old van and I sold it. This van is a lot newer and I intend to keep it as long as possible. It doesn't have air-con (I get by with a roof mounted trucker type fan) but by God if it did it would be well used. Down in southern Germany a couple of years ago it was hitting 40c in the cab.....and that's not comfortable, even with a big fan blowing away!

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have an Omnistor, but it came with the van. As we use aires a lot, and they are useless in wind, or rain, we have in two years wound it out just twice. If I thought this was something I could not do without I think I would buy one of those cheapo garden gazebo thingy's from B&Q or somewhere, just a thought. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
My new van that I picked up last week has a Truma Omnistor badged awning, I guess Truma must have taken them over...Haven't tried it yet :-D

JudgeMental - 2011-04-22 8:19 AM

My new van that I picked up last week has a Truma Omnistor badged awning, I guess Truma must have taken them over...Haven't tried it yet :-D

That's strange. Mine says Thule Omnistor! Wait until you try the winding mechanism and get the pole stuck in its slot; its not great but not too bad when you master the technique. Much too fiddly though.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2011-04-22 10:37 AM

JudgeMental - 2011-04-22 8:19 AM

That's strange. Mine says Thule Omnistor! Wait until you try the winding mechanism and get the pole stuck in its slot; its not great but not too bad when you master the technique. Much too fiddly though.

Oop's! I have Truma on the brain trying to sort out what valves and bits to order for new van refillable system :-S

Yes indeed you are correct it is Thule Omnistor. I dont much like the look of what I take is the tensioner? cheap steel pole I fink *-)

If staying put for a few days,we tend to use one of these slid into the groove on our Omnistor..

http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/Products/21/56/Easy-Canopy/

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/membershop/bluediamond/easicanopi5.jpg

..at least if the wind gets under that and it lets go,it's only a bit of fabric flapping about.. ;-)

(..as the Omnistor needs to be left "unlatched" to access to groove,I also slip a couple of straps around the ends of the windout body to keep thing secure).

If we didn't already have a wind-out awning (of any sort),I think I'd just fit a decent awning rail...

(..that Vdub,isn't us by the way..unfortunately..)

Judge - if you haven't used yours yet - a piece of advice.

The Omnistor comes with a sprung centre pole that fits between the extended awning and the receiver on the van side of the awning. There is a potential hazard when erecting and releasing the centre tensioning pole which can damage the vehicle if extreme care is not taken.

To use the pole you have to push the two ends of the sprung mechanism together in order to insert the ends into the awning and van receivers.- not an easy task; its a stretch and I'm 6ft 1. If you miss the receivers - and its easy to do this - you will end up with the pole scraping down the side of the van causing some quite serious damage.

Be careful is my advice. I'm not a fan of the sprung legs either as mentioned in my first post. The mechanisms on the Fiamma are so much better.

That accessory mentioned by Pepe looks really good but not for us panel van types where storage is at an absolute premium.

Guest JudgeMental
I just wound mine out for a look and I think I prefer the fiamma.......dont like the nasty metal pipe tennsioner one likle bit, but I guess you have to use it? Have to wait 10 days for DVLA inspection before I can get it registered and I will miss 2 bank holidays *-)

With the comments on the last few posts it's looking like the Fiamma is an overall winner. What really changed my mind was people mentioning the problem in detaching the wind out handle from the Omnistor as that was my 'first time experience' with my mates awning. I couldn't even see why it was stuck!

Thanks everyone......just need to find the right size at the right price now!

Archived