Tom tom one 2nd edition.

BobK

I have had a Tom Tom One Europe for several years now and have always resisted Tom Tom's offers of amazing multi map updates, but As I am off for five weeks in Europe, thought I would bite the bullet this time and take advantage of their latest map update offer of 6 updates over eighteen months for the cost of twelve. Made the purchase on line last night and when I went to download, I was informed that my 1gb SD card did not have enough capacity. No previous warning prior to purchase so BE WARNED. To resolve the matter they state on the pop up that I should purchase a 2gb card on line from Tom Tom.com. However they say on a seperate chart that 2gb cards are not compatible with Tom Tom One .

Has anyone had this problem and can it be overcome by just purchasing a 2gb SD card from the National retail outlets ..Currys, PC World.

Otherwise I have a 60 quid download available but no place to use it!!!

Tom Tom email and helpline services are worse than useless.

Guest Peter Sharpe
You can buy a 2gb card quite cheaply on Amazon and I think I have a Kingston card in my original TomTom Go. It might be worth paying a little bit more for one of the high speed ones, although I haven't actually compared them. If your existing card doesn't have enough room there is quite a bit of stuff on there that you can delete, but you have to know what you're doing. I'm surprised that a 1gb card isn't big enough though.
You can download the TomTom Home program to help you with backups and updates, but it is a simple matter to copy the entire contents of your existing card onto your hard drive and then copy it onto your new 2gb card. 
I would be interested to know if anyone has had problems with the latest updates, as I am discovering new errors that didn't exist on previous maps. There seems to be a particular problem with roundabouts, as the latest mapping counts any one-way exit as an entrance. 
In theory, you can report mapping errors to TomTom, but there reporting system is a headache to fathom out and I have yet to find evidence that any of the reported errors have been acted on.

BobK - 2011-04-19 10:25 AM

I have had a Tom Tom One Europe for several years now and have always resisted Tom Tom's offers of amazing multi map updates, but As I am off for five weeks in Europe, thought I would bite the bullet this time and take advantage of their latest map update offer of 6 updates over eighteen months for the cost of twelve. Made the purchase on line last night and when I went to download, I was informed that my 1gb SD card did not have enough capacity. No previous warning prior to purchase so BE WARNED. To resolve the matter they state on the pop up that I should purchase a 2gb card on line from Tom Tom.com. However they say on a seperate chart that 2gb cards are not compatible with Tom Tom One .

Has anyone had this problem and can it be overcome by just purchasing a 2gb SD card from the National retail outlets ..Currys, PC World.

Otherwise I have a 60 quid download available but no place to use it!!!

Tom Tom email and helpline services are worse than useless.

I have a Tom Tom 730 which had the same problem and it was easily fixed by doubling the size of the memory card from 2gb to 4gb, but I don't know if the TT One can take bigger cards.

I have always found TT help, especially over the telephone to be excellent.

Thank you Peter and Spospe .......Problem solved. I eventually got through to Tom Tom telephone helpline after listening to just about every type of music ever invented. As you say, once I actually got through to them , they were very efficient and helpful ( I wouldn't have said that an hour beforehand). She (Sophie) confirmed that all I needed was a 2GB card which I purchased for a few quid from a local Sony dealer and the rest was just a case of following the online instructions. Took about an hour and a half to do the complete download, but all seems okay.

regards BobK

BobK - 2011-04-19 2:43 PM

Thank you Peter and Spospe .......Problem solved. I eventually got through to Tom Tom telephone helpline after listening to just about every type of music ever invented. As you say, once I actually got through to them , they were very efficient and helpful ( I wouldn't have said that an hour beforehand). She (Sophie) confirmed that all I needed was a 2GB card which I purchased for a few quid from a local Sony dealer and the rest was just a case of following the online instructions. Took about an hour and a half to do the complete download, but all seems okay.

regards BobK

Hi Bob,

We have a Tom Tom One - Europe, (can't identify which series) but how did you access your SD Card. (?)

I wasn't so fortunate with Tom Tom sevice by phone or e-mail & like yourself found their website to say the 2GB card is not suitable for the Tom Tom One.

On ours the SD Card is not visible externally, so I assumed it has a built-in internal memory & the only way I have managed to add map updates via the Tom Tom HOME site, was to delete all the foreign voices, etc., on the PC then re-load the PC version back to the Sat Nav.

But now our card/memory is 99% full, so I would be very interested to know if Tom Tom gave you a solution regarding fitting the larger SD Card.

Flicka,

if your Tom-Tom one hasn't got an external SD card slot, it must be the original 'one', mine has an SD slot in the bottom of the casing, hence 2nd edition. Perhaps that why the website gets it wrong. Yours must have memory inside somewhere though ! and hopefully not built in to the PCB but plugged in. Hope you get on Ok. Ray

Hi I believe if you don't have an external SD slot then you can't upgrade the memory. The old TT classic's like mine can only take a max 2gig card as they use the old FAT file system. Only if its says SDHC compatible can you fit the bigger 4 gig cards.

Ian

Archived