spare key?

How Much

Guest Tracker

We had two spare keys cut for our Autocruise and the local locksmith did them for us - it's a case of furtling about untill you do find a place?

Have you asked Compass, or asked in Caravan and Motor Caravan accessory shops?

Talking of spare keys - it is very easy to lock yourself out of a motorhome so we carry a spare key secreted (duct tape!) behind one of the fridge vents - that way we can always get back in!

If your Compass is an older variety, ie Boxer MK1 era, it may well be fitted with the same make of lock as on our van, the lock makers having gone out of business so blanks of that make were unavailable (can't remember the name off hand but they had a black plastic head to the key).

We managed to get some cut at a 'proper' locksmiths who managed to find blanks that closely matched the origional but are all metal the name on them is Silka Italy.

Hope that helps.

Bas

Tracker - 2011-04-20 5:53 PM

Talking of spare keys - it is very easy to lock yourself out of a motorhome so we carry a spare key secreted (duct tape!) behind one of the fridge vents - that way we can always get back in!

nice one rich, you've just told everyone on the planet where your spare keys are *-)

oopps *-)

Guest Tracker
Except that is not where the spare key now is on our van - it used to be until I discovered that it's relatively common to use that location - so I moved it!!

I have often wondered what would happen if I lost my ignition keys which also have the habitation door key on them.

The answere was a magnetic box containing a spare hab key well hidden under the chassis, a pig to get at, this then allows me to gain entry into the van and get my spare keys from the bolted down solid steel safe which is opened by code. ;-)

Guest Tracker
sheer lunar-see - 2011-04-20 11:25 PM

why not get yourself akey safe fitted like me, want to know where it is, and the all important number?? *-) *-) *-)

I did!

Basil - 2011-04-20 7:00 PM

If your Compass is an older variety, ie Boxer MK1 era, it may well be fitted with the same make of lock as on our van, the lock makers having gone out of business so blanks of that make were unavailable (can't remember the name off hand but they had a black plastic head to the key).

We managed to get some cut at a 'proper' locksmiths who managed to find blanks that closely matched the origional but are all metal the name on them is Silka Italy.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like the same key. Thanks for the suggestions, ill see how i go.

ps soon as i get one, itll be taped under the front wheel arch - no one will think of looking there. ;-)

Just don't do as I did.

In a rush of blood, I put the Key Safe under the bonnet in the engine compartment.

Went to get it & set the Bl***y Alarm off.

You've guessed it, with SWMBO & the Alarm rattling my lugoles, I couldn't remember the Bl***y Number sequence. :$ :$ :$

Won't do that again.. :-S

Archived