seat belts

Dingle

Dingle - 2011-04-24 4:35 PM Hi! dose anybody know if it is possible to fit a seatbelt in the rear of a motorhome that has a U shaped lounge, thanks. Dingle

Yes it is possible to fit just lap belts. I had two fitted some years ago, cannot remember who did it but obviously you need someone who knows what they are doing. I guess you have thought of the safety implications with this and it is certainly a risk, one I took but guess it is up to the individual.

If by a U shaped lounge you mean a rear lounge utilising the seats against the back wall think again.

In the event of a rear end shunt your passengers will be in the most vulnerable position.

In practice it will be very difficult to find anywhere strong enough to fasten the belts to the vehicle chassis. Retro fit belts are subject to MOT and the tester will have to decide if the instalation is satisfactory. I he gets it wrong and due to belt failure injury occurs the tester might be liable. so they are naturally very cautious over such issues.

Archived