Go Free Sat - Its dead easy !

geoff

After many years of struggling (and often failing) to find a TV signal during my travels, I am now converted to free satellite viewing from Astra 2 . It does'nt matter where I am - down in a valley, on the wrong side of a hill, or in another country - I can still view the local news on my local TV station.

I purchased a £99 portable dish and receiver kit from Maplins, discarded the suction cup fittings and made a permanent, quick release mounting with copper pipes and pipe clips on the back end of the camper.The aerial cable was threaded through the floor to a an external box near the mounting and the whole system can be set up in under a minutes.

Forget all those electric sat finders and tales of large dishes and footprints- I use a kiddies compass, aim the dish slightly to the left of South and switch on the TV. On numerous occasions I'm on target straight away - sometimes it takes me 30 secs to make adjustments ! Although the dish is only 20"" it's not let me down yet and I've used It from Inverness in the North down to the Swiss Border at Lake Constance.

My first thought on your idea, Flicka, is knowing how temperamental scart sockets are, as in the scart cable only needs to be knocked slightly and you lose connection, to have something hanging from the scart socket would be a problem in itself.

flicka - 2011-04-26 9:42 PM

Thinking of going the same route as Geoff, but I also want to keep down the clutter.

Has anyone any experience of this type of Digital free to air satellite receiver that plugs directly into a scart socket:-

http://www.snellyvision.co.uk/store/satellite/receivers/eycos-e-100-ci-digital-scart-free-to-air-satellite-receiver/prod_364.html

No but I have a dreambox from Snelly, this works on freesat or sky and is programed for both. It has a sat finder built in but personally never use it. I use a manual dish fixed to the roof, Maxview, and it works down to Northern Spain, maybe farther but have not tried. Certainly could not be bothered with all the clutter of a seperate dish.

pelmetman - 2011-04-27 9:13 AM

Is this the same bit of kit that Aldi/Lidels flog on occasion :D

Hi Dave

Never come across these at Aldi or Lidl's.

WhatI think you are thinking of is the USB Dongles that Aldi & Lidl's, sometimes have for TV to your Laptop. (?)

flicka - 2011-04-27 10:31 PM

Hi Dave

WhatI think you are thinking of is the USB Dongles that Aldi & Lidl's, sometimes have for TV to your Laptop. (?)

I've got a dongle form Aldi or Lidl which we use to watch tele on the lap top. We only ever watch tele occasssionally while away so it does us. I use an external aerial though. If i wanted to watch more tele i think I'd get someting a bit more robust. However i can't complain about the picture quality or choice of channels.

flicka - 2011-04-27 10:31 PM

Hi Dave

I've got a dongle form Aldi or Lidl which we use to watch tele on the lap top. We only ever watch tele occasssionally while away so it does us. I use an external aerial though. If i wanted to watch more tele i think I'd get someting a bit more robust. However i can't complain about the picture quality or choice of channels.

Guest pelmetman
I'm not dreaming it....... as our friends who shop at Aldi/Lidel every week remarked that they could hardly get in the carpark at Colchester because of campervans queuing for the satallite offer 8-)

Sorry Dave but I misunderstood your original post.

I now realise you meant the Aldi/Lidl suitcase system and not the SCART receiver that Flicka had mentioned.

My apologies for getting this confused and, Yes these are the very things that MH owners queue up to buy.

Keith.

geoff - 2011-04-25 12:59 PM........................discarded the suction cup fittings and made a permanent, quick release mounting with copper pipes and pipe clips on the back end of the camper.................

Just a caution regarding use of copper. Do not leave anything made of copper, or of any copper alloy such a brass, in contact with aluminium, or in a position where water running/dripping from it might contact the aluminium. Copper and its alloys eat aluminium and its alloys (electrolysis) at a phenomenal rate! If aluminium components cannot be used, use stainless steel, preferably obtained from a small boat chandlery, where the the appropriate grades will have been selected.

Many camper roof access ladders, roof rails etc, and probably the majority of coachbuilt motorhome body panels, are aluminium, and aluminium screws may also have been used in assembly. Do not rely on paint/anodising of the aly to provide protection, as these coatings will have been penetrated at fixing points, concentrating the attack.

Archived