UK/French adapter

Mickydripin

Hi as I am going over to France for a long period I will need to use french gas bottles I have been told that the bottle connection on my vehicle will not fit french bottles how do I get around that Gaslow have told me that they do not make an adapter for my pipe what is the best way to do it.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

what bottles are you using? as your question is a little confusing hence the no replies I guess.......

why do you think many get refillable bottles? so as not to have to endure this hassle. only proper refillable bottles can be owner refilled safely I think........although some dodgy valves on the market but they have no auto 80% cut off? so are VERY risky as gas can get through to burner etc...if you overfill with potentially disastrous results? *-)

Just get one Gaslow bottle fitted.........

as for French bottles...will they fit? can you buy without an address? what kind of deposit to you have to pay? etc etc..... :-S

Mike,

You dont state how long you are staying in France. Last year were away for 10week Sept/Oct and did not even get through 1 6kg light weight bottle, we have just completed 8 weeks Spain/Morocco/Spain and France, again not got through one bottle. We have bought an Electric hot plate which helps conserve gas.

David.

Syd - 2011-04-26 8:47 AM

We have a French gas bottle complete with regulator that I am wanting to give away if anyone wants it.

We live in Sunderland.

Will be in the south of the country in August if that helps

That sounds like a very generous offer. Would love to take you up on it, BUT unfortunatly French Bottles do not fit in our locker. . I would sugest any one interested in SYD's offer, check the size of bottle locker, we found the diameter to large, on all the French bottle. We have in the past taken a Blue butane bottle , about 6ks , (I Think) which are easy to buy in most large super markets, and the relavant adaptor, for emergencies, (Though never needed it.) I find we only use half a bottle of gas in three months away, but do use EHU, and Elec Kettle. We also have one elec ring on our cooker

PJay

Mike,

This earlier posting may be helpful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17745&posts=24

Assuming that your current motorhome has a 30mbar bulkhead-mounted regulator, in order to connect to a standard French steel bottle, you'd need the same flexible gas-hose that would be suitable in the UK to connect to a 4.5kg Calor BUTANE gas-bottle. This is normally referred to as a 21.8 LH butane hose and should be available from a caravan dealership's accessory shop (in various lengths). Gaslow also markets them:

http://www.outdoorbits.com/gaslow-hoses-c-156_123_357.html

Gaslow also markets adapters that can be added to this hose to allow you to connect to French bottles that use a 'snap-on' connector rather than a screw-on connector.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Gaslow-20mm-Clipon-Gas-Regulator-Adapter-.html

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Gaslow-27mm-Clipon-Gas-Regulator-Adapter-.html

Additionally, Gaslow markets an adapter that can be added to 21.8 LH butane hose to allow it to connect to a UK-standard PROPANE bottle.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Gaslow-Easyfit-Adapter-UK-Propane-Adaptor-.html

If you want to use French gas-bottles and your present gas-hose connects to a UK-standard steel PROPANE bottle, then it's best that you replace it with the hose I've mentioned above and add the Gaslow propane adapter. (It is, in theory, possible to buy an adapter in France to convert the UK-standard PROPANE hose to a French fitting, but the adapter is expensive and not easily found.)

It's worth saying that you should be able to obtain suitable hoses and adapters fairly easily from caravan/motorhome dealerships in France if you don't want to purchase them before you go abroad.

PJay - 2011-04-26 9:53 AM

We have a French gas bottle complete with regulator that I am wanting to give away if anyone wants it.

We live in Sunderland.

That sounds like a very generous offer. Would love to take you up on it, BUT unfortunatly French Bottles do not fit in our locker. . I would sugest any one interested in SYD's offer, check the size of bottle locker, we found the diameter to large, on all the French bottle. We have in the past taken a Blue butane bottle , about 6ks , (I Think) which are easy to buy in most large super markets, and the relavant adaptor, for emergencies, (Though never needed it.) I find we only use half a bottle of gas in three months away, but do use EHU, and Elec Kettle. We also have one elec ring on our cooker

PJay

I suspect you may be referring to a Campingaz 907 bottle that holds less than 3kg of butane. These cost a fortune to buy initially and refills are pretty expensve too. They are exchangeable in most EU countries however. If you've taken a blue Calor butane bottle with you, then it will be either 4.5kg (screw-on connector) or 7kg (snap-on connector) capacity. Neither of these are, of course, exchangeable if you run out of gas in France. Personally, I work on 1 litre (0.5kg) of propane average usage per day, but I rarely use EHUs.

Hi Judge

I will try to explain myself, First the gas at the site that I am going to is supplyed FOC and it is in french bottles.

second I am going for four months.

I am not going to fill any bottles and as far as having Gaslow refillable bottles that is one expense too far at the moment plus MBH would string me up if I spent any more on the van maybe next year unless you still have your gaslow kit off your old van for sale at a good price LOL.

Mike

Mickydripin - 2011-04-26 1:04 PM

...the gas at the site that I am going to is supplyed FOC and it is in french bottles....

Mike

Are you certain about this, Mike?

I know that French campsites will often provide gas free-of-charge to people renting on-site mobile homes (ie. chalets), but I don't ever recall such a service being offered to motorcaravanners, even if they have booked to stay for several months.

Gas-bottles used for chalets can be large capacity (30kg to 40kg) and would not fit in a motorhome's gas-locker - so it might be wise to check with the campsite what size of bottle they will be providing you with just in case it's a real 'monster''.

Hi Derek

Thanks for that you were right as usual I have been in touch with Gaslow and I have ordered a 20mm clip on adapter

and a 21.8 lh hose in stainless steel after confirming with Gaslow what I intended to use it for I could have got a cheeper rubber one as stainless cost a bit more but it will proberley last a lot longer.

Thanks to all othere`s for there help.

Mike.

Hi Derek I have been there before and I know the size and it will not be a problem I am getting mine FOC from the people that rent the mobiles it is not somthing that they do for everyone no problems except the connections and that has now been sorted thanks to you.

Mike

We live in Sunderland.

The french bottle that we have is a Butagaz 13 kg, silver on the top half and blue on the bpttom half

Hope this helps someone

Just measured both the 13kg French Butagaz bottle and English Calor propane bottle

French Butagaz Bottle

Height to top pf tap 23 inches

Circumference 39 inches

English Calor Propane Bottle

Height to top of guard 23 inches

Circumference 40 inches

There are at least two regulators here to go with the bottle, we will be in the Cotswolds last two weeks in Aug then Folkstone/Calais on Sept 1st.

Anyone wanting this bottle are quiet welcome to it just let me know and meet up with us anywhere on route to above.

Bought the bottle just outside Paris a couple of years ago

Archived