Roof Aircon

hymer1942

Does anyone have enough knowledge to help me through this minefield. what size for a 7 metre van,

which model, can it work on 12 volt while on the move etc etc .At the moment I have a Telair Silent which in my opinion it is not and although it works fine it seems to take a long time to get the temperatur down when its really warm. Barrie

Judge I am thinking of buying a hymer655 starline as I have had a good offer for my 650 it has all the toys exept air con, to have cab aircon fitted is out of the question, but am cinsidering roof type that will also run on 12 volts whilst on the move. Barrie. PS is your new van all you expected

Guest JudgeMental
Yes it is lovely, exactly what we wanted...Unfortunataly as per usual DVLA a pain as have to wait 10 days for "inspection" they used to hand the paper work over within 30 mins of this (tomorrow) but now insist on posting it out with in 4 days :-S Sooooo we miss 2 bank holidays and have to be at home for that unspeakable event on Friday? When I would much prefer to head to the hills with a good book and no telly!lol :-D

Hi Hymer 1942

I had the same problem the van that the dealer offered did not have A/C I have a 6.8m van

they recomended and fitted a 2200w 12/240w Dometic habitation A/C unit with remote control which they said was a bit over the top for my van.

They fitted a 1700w inverter so that I can use it when mobile it also works on 240v hook up I also had an extre habitation battery to compensate for the power for the A/C unit just to make sure, the 2200w model also workes as a heater but that was disconnected for some reason.

it lookes very sleek on the van and not very high

The downside is I have not used it yet and can not tell you how much it cost as it was part of the deal I have had it running and it seems ok but it only goes down to 16deg if that is cool enough for you

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Micky and thanks for that, I have sorted a similar solution at a cost of £2300ish, what I really want to know is where is yours positioned and does it work efficiently in the cab area when you are on the move, could you let me know please. The other problem is have I enough space on the roof along with 2 solar panels. oyster and the other vents. Regards Barrie

Hi Barrie

We have the dometic Air con, that also heats in winter on hook up Not sure of the model no) We find it very good, used it a lot in Spain/Portugal, and use it when driving. It has a remote control, so you can zap it from the cab Ours is fitted behind the Heki roof light, we also have a Sat dome on the roof. Don't have solar panels though. I believe you could have it fitted in place of the Heki if need be, depends wether you need the light from it. Our van is 6.2mtr long with a luton front. we had it fitted when we bought the van in 06, think it cost about £1500.00 then Well worth the money we think, as we spend long time away in the sun

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

If you want it to cool the cab pretty obvious that you will need it mounted as far forward as possible...Not sure of layout of proposed van, but if front lounge it needs to be there, just behind and above drivers seats I would think. Problem being that is where the heki normally is :-S

You can have cab air retro fitted as well.......

Hi Hymer.

The size of my unit is 24"x37" and it is fitted at the rear of my van over the bed but it is very quite,

Due to the Sat dome and the heiki roof light being near the front of my van they said that they could not put it there or in the middle due to the roof not being strong enough

when I tried it on Hook-up it was ok but as I said I have not been able to try it on the road yet due to medical problems.

If you have enough room and your roof is strong enough at the front then I supose that it will be ok

I forgot to say the 2200w version that I have has an LED light in each corner and the unit can be fitted in to one of the normal roof lights so that you do not have to cut another hole in your roof.

hope all this helps.

I have just looked on a site and they are quoting £1649 inc.vat for a B2200 at O`briens telephone: 01264358293.

You may be able to get it cheeper but this is just a starter for you.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2011-04-27 5:06 PM

Thanks to all, but space is going to beat me, I have been on the roof of the van and the required space is just not there.

The serch is not over. Barrie

If you really like the van get cab air fitted?

Archived