"Standby" dinners

Gwendolyn

For emergencies, just make sure you've always got a few tins of stuff you like, but it won't necessarily be exciting. We have a tin of new spuds, one of corned beef and one of beans (makes a great one-pan hash!).

Alternatively, another tin of spuds, one of chicken in white sauce and one of sweetcorn to stir in with it.

But for INTERESTING food, there was a thread on MH Matters a couple of years back which might be worth a search. Started (I think) by Michele (hey, where's she got to?) and entitled something like "Recipes for the motorhome." I'm sure I remember enjoying a great paella contributed by Clive.

Tony Jones - 2011-05-04 8:18 PM

And the reason I thought of 'Chele was that I remembered enjoying her garlic prawns.

Tony!!! 8-)

Just because Michele doesn't come on here now, doesn't mean you can tell everyone your personal little secrets!!!! :$

Guest pelmetman

From the OP

"Would anyone like to share their favourite, tried and tested recipes that work on the limited cooking facilities in a coach-built? (3 burners, small oven/grill?)"

We have this set up, but have no problem cooking everything we do at home :D ..............the most useful thing we find in our van when cooking is plenty of work surface :-D ....................twice what my old man had in his Hymer ;-)

We always keep a couple of ready meals in the freezer (lasagne my favourite - nom nom :D )

On hook-up - bung 'em in the microwave and have a drink while you wait (lol)

No hook-up - bung 'em in the oven and have 6 drinks while you wait 8-)

Tony Jones - 2011-05-04 6:35 PM

For emergencies, just make sure you've always got a few tins of stuff you like, but it won't necessarily be exciting. We have a tin of new spuds, one of corned beef and one of beans (makes a great one-pan hash!).

Alternatively, another tin of spuds, one of chicken in white sauce and one of sweetcorn to stir in with it.

But for INTERESTING food, there was a thread on MH Matters a couple of years back which might be worth a search. Started (I think) by Michele (hey, where's she got to?) and entitled something like "Recipes for the motorhome." I'm sure I remember enjoying a great paella contributed by Clive.

I think you have glimpsed the content of my store cupboard! And thanks for the link.

In repsonse to another poster:

Having no freezer or microwave oven in our campervan, for standby dinners I need to rely on other means of storing and cooking.

In reply to the request for ideas…. Well, I was hoping for some which go beyond my limited imagination… Apart from the items listed by Tony above, I always keep some / all of the following, and replace once used:

Red onions / shallots / spring onions / garlic

Tomato puree / passata

Tins / cartons of chopped tomatoes / tomatoes in garlic & oil / with olives / with basil

Cans of sweetcorn / cans of red beans

Cans of tuna

Bacon / prosciutto / lardons

A wedge of Parmesan cheese

Eggs

Olive oil

Mayonnaise

Other fresh veg

Bags of pasta and rice

Thus our “standby” dinners can be:

Pasta with a tomato sauce [with garlic, onions, bacon, other veg or whatever… and Parmesan cheese]

Omelettes

Tuna and pasta bake

‘Mock’ ratatouille [we call it “mush”!]

Pasta salad / rice salad

And of course, the hash / chicken in white wine sauce referred to up-thread….

Guest pelmetman

Just had what we call dog ends dinner , as we are off again tomorrow so clearing out the fridge:D

Chicken Thighs......................free range of course

Leeks......................................from the garden

Spring Onions........................ditto

Frozen Tomatoes..................ditto....last year :D

Garlic......................................ditto...ditto :D

Green Pepper........................Co op (lol)

New Potatoes........................ditto

Stilton.....................................from our friends fridge

All bung'd in a roasting tray drizzle with olive oil, cider vinegar, herbs and seasoning, stick in a oven 180 for about an hour, and ten minutes before the end chuck in some chunks of Stilton :-D .................

Guest Tracker

All far too complicated for us simple folk Gwendoline - we are supposed to be on holiday after all - so we like to keep it simple and when we fancy complicated we find a restaurant and eat out.

Eat to live not live to cook!

Simples!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-05-05 5:42 PM

Since I started cooking Rich I found I enjoy my food even more,................. I reckon you should try it ;-)

Oh forgot from tonights dinner :D .................

Carrot..........................Co op (lol)

All far too complicated for us simple folk Gwendoline - we are supposed to be on holiday after all - so we like to keep it simple and when we fancy complicated we find a restaurant and eat out.

Simples!

Next time ya holiday in Huddersfield Rich ya might find we have some of the countries finest eateries . KFC , Pizza Hut , Subway and if ya want really upmarket you can sit in the chippy near bus station and have a fish supper

Guest Tracker

Gee thanks for the invite Antony - this could be the gastronomic highlight of the century!

The 'Uddersfield Food Festival - makes yer mouth water at the very thought!

If a Metrognome is a vertically challenged individual living on an underground railway station, is a Gastrognome a similarly vertically limited person with belly ache - having eaten out in 'Uddersfield no doubt!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-05-05 8:07 PM

I've heard deep fried pork pie is the local delicacy :D

pelmetman - 2011-05-05 8:12 PM

Thats because you can make a 'Pigs Ear' of it and no-one knows any different :D :D :D

Simples!

Complicated? Me, cooking? Great guffaws of laughter from OH [who fancies himself as next Masterchef winner!]

But I do keep it simple... chuck it all in the Remoska, and then sit with glass of wine while the Remoska does the work.

Wish I knew how to do multiple quotes on this....

The recipe from Pelmetman sounds great. I MUST remember to pack all my Grow Bags next time..... and chicken thighs are not items we would happen to have lying around - no freezer in our campervan... but I will 'plan' that dinner!!!

pelmetman - 2011-05-05 8:12 PM

We deep fry everything here but only in good quality fat , usually Asda smart price . Fried Weetabix coated in sugar for my supper , mmmmmm

Archived