4 weeks in france

Knaus

Have been going to France for several years but not been down the East side. This year thinking of going down from Dunkerque. Would like to visit Flavigny Ozerain and also the Postman's Castle. Don't want to do more than 200 miles a day and no toll roads. Also would like to stop off on a site for a week, preferably with pool and near a river for gentle kayaking.

Any ideas?

If it was me I would get the Rough Guide to france, All the aires book visit and all the pretty ones and just wander around. I would recommend Charolles and its Municipal Campsite and Trevoux and it's campsite though as good places to stop as a break from aires. Jealous of you! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Just wandering in France is great :D ............................with no agenda .............time flys ................and you come home........without a clue where you have been B-)

Hi Knaus,

The Postman’s Castle (Palais Ideal du Facteur Cheval) is at Hauterives. We found this village by accident last spring. Coming from the south on the D538 there is a campsite on the edge of the village. Also on the right and immediately on entering the village there is an aire – it is signed – it is a very large gravelled area, alongside the river. The aire is literally 300 metres across a pedestrian river bridge to the Palais.

The parking was free and just €2 for water.

The river supported the largest frogs we’ve ever seen, they were easily four times the average UK frog in size. They were also very noisy!!

We sent three pleasant days there.

Cattwg :-D

I can highly recommend the Lac d'Orient:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac_d%27Orient

We found it by accident and motorhomes were allowed to parkin the large carpark towards the south east part of the lac overnight, we then moved to the side of the lake during the day and it was absolutely wonderful. Some of the willow trees are part submerged and it is great fun kayaking in them - a bit like a swamp! :-D

1507026119_Lacdorient1.JPG.0d596e653cb1d517af0f686b9cd8136b.JPG

2030882417_Lacdorient2.JPG.46f0b1bd0b080f9ee9020a9a5f564b10.JPG

509520703_Lacdorient3.JPG.7827a07e7599ea57db20a30a8f42bd40.JPG

For the old farts like me who are limited on travel now, its great to see pictures and read of the places visited.

Tony, can you claim travel expenses by including a 'site' sermon at each stop?

art

art338 - 2011-05-01 2:37 PM

For the old farts like me who are limited on travel now, its great to see pictures and read of the places visited.

Tony, can you claim travel expenses by including a 'site' sermon at each stop?

art

Art, if Tony did "site" sermons, I wonder how much he'd get if he sent round the collection plate after each one?

Hmm I guess it would depend how well he had "pitched" it.......

Liked the Blog by the way Tony.

Bob :-)

Archived