"Carry Bags"

PJay

Hi all

Does any one carry Bags, holdalls, for emergency use?

What would you do, if you have to abandon your vehicle (Abroad) and get home on a plane or ferry?

I know this is an unlikely situation, but could happen Do you leave every thing on board, or what?

Not sure I would want to leave some things on board (Dirty washing ,certain valubles)

What would you take or leave on board?

PJay

PJay - 2011-04-27 1:47 PM

Hi all

Does any one carry Bags, holdalls, for emergency use?

What would you do, if you have to abandon your vehicle (Abroad) and get home on a plane or ferry?

I know this is an unlikely situation, but could happen Do you leave every thing on board, or what?

Not sure I would want to leave some things on board (Dirty washing ,certain valubles)

What would you take or leave on board?

PJay

I brought this up some time ago because we almost ended up in a situation where we would have to leave the van in a garage for a day or two for repairs ( waiting for parts).

Luckily we had enough room in two rucksacks and a beach bag to remove all our 'valuables' if necessary.

We put cameras, binoculars, tripods and all sorts of other items in the bags ready but fortunately the garage were able to fix on the day.

Well worth thinking about what you would do in such circumstances.

;-)

Yes, it can happen, and did happen to us some years ago. Car broke down [still under warranty] in South of France. Bank Holiday weekend. No garage would touch it [a Citroen] even though IN France, strangely, because of warranty.

We were camping.

Packed all we could in car and camping trailer. Yes, dirty washing was left behind. Food from fridge given away to other campers.

Insurers provided a hire car to drive to Calais, then foot ferry, then a hire car met us at Dover.

We carried valuables [cameras etc] and change of clothing for overnight hotel stops in the holdalls which we used for camping. Everything else, including lap top [yes, too heavy back then] and some plants, were left.

Now, even when using caravan or our newly acquired campervan, we bear this experience in mind. Cameras and lap top computer have their bags, also Kindles and ipods fit in there, and we have a small back pack [which we use when walking anyway] and a foldable zip up bag which will carry essential clothing. My shoulder bag has all our documents and essential medication [if needed].

“Grab bags” we call them; they can be useful in an emergency.

And not just when “abroad”. Preparing for a “posh do”, we were staying in a hotel, when the fire alarm went off. Hotel was evacuated. I was stood in car park clad only in towel and warm coat [December]. All clothes were in hotel room. “Posh Do” was elsewhere … The same thing happened again in same hotel a few years later… now I will tend to leave change of clothes in car – just in case… or have a “grab bag” ready if not using car.

Over prepared ?? Perhaps, but experience has taught me to be so!

Whilst we were tent camping a few years back in a very large old style canvas frame tent, two days before the end of a three week holiday, the tent and entire contents burnt to the ground.

Having run out with bucket of water to throw over the very small burning hole in the roof, in bare feet and being stopped from re-entering to grab anything by the warden I was left in just top, shorts and underwear and no footwear and hubby, who was in the shower on site during the whole drama, had just shorts, pants and plastic sandals acquired free during a walk under Niagara Falls the year before.

He came back to a twisted blackened frame and lots of melted plastic.

Car keys/house keys, money, wallets, cards all in the tent. We literally just had what we had on. Luckily the cameras were in the car but not the camcorder. We could at least take photos for insurance purposes !!! We found enough of the car key in the ashes to open the car but not start it.

So yes emergency bags would be a good idea, preferably already packed with money and clothes although I am not sure they would be much use if your M/H burnt to the ground, unless you were in the van when the fire started and were able to stay calm enough to think about picking them up as you escaped, which isn't very likely to happen.

Guest Tracker

We always carry a couple of spare bags for emergency use.

Our are made by Tesco / Asda / Morrisons and as long as you don't mind carrying their advert they are still FREE and have inbuilt multi tasking abilities as well!

Archived