Anti mis-fuelling device

hallii

I have done the research and the Fuel Angel seems to fit the bill. Has anyone fitted one? Any good?

Now just to get in first.

I am not a numpty, I have never mis fuelled, I can read etc etc.

But for about £30 it makes sense.

Oh! and one other thing, I recently spent £2400 on pump and injector repairs, the general concesus is that the vehicle had probably been mis-fuelled at some time in it's life before I purchased it. The damage is done as soon as the petrol hits the pump, a flush and fill up with diesel will sort things out for the time being, failure of components will occur at some time after some thousands of miles.

So I think it's worth £30.

H

Each to his own. I've never mis-fuelled either but I bought a £5 gadget that you fit inside your fuel flap and as soon as you open the flap and light hits a sensor, it's speaks loudly 'Diesel, remember diesel', it does this twice for those with internal release buttons so they don't miss the message before they get out of the drivers seat.

hallii - 2011-04-29 8:21 PM

I have done the research and the Fuel Angel seems to fit the bill. Has anyone fitted one? Any good?

Now just to get in first.

I am not a numpty, I have never mis fuelled, I can read etc etc.

But for about £30 it makes sense.

Oh! and one other thing, I recently spent £2400 on pump and injector repairs, the general concesus is that the vehicle had probably been mis-fuelled at some time in it's life before I purchased it. The damage is done as soon as the petrol hits the pump, a flush and fill up with diesel will sort things out for the time being, failure of components will occur at some time after some thousands of miles.

So I think it's worth £30.

H

I think the "Fuel Angel" has no locking-cap capability - is that correct please?

I'm probably safe enough from putting petrol into my motorhome, but (having become habituated to diesel vehicles over nearly 20 years) I did attempt to put diesel into our new petrol-engined Skoda when I first refuelled it. Fortunately diesel pump-nozzles won't fit into petrol fillers, so no harm was done.

The embarassing thing was that I'd anticipated this happening, hung a warning tag on the fuel-cap's plastic tether and warned my wife about it. I just blithely selected the diesel pump, picked up the delivery-gun and stuck it in the Skoda's filler. So it's plainly dead easy to do the opposite if you normally refuel petrol-engined vehicles and then get confronted with a diesel.

Some years ago our friends were due to drive to their property in Portugal. The wife had always had petrol-engined cars but her husband's Vauxhall Astra company-car was a diesel. They planned to use the latter for the trip abroad and, to save time, the wife decided to combine a last-minute UK shopping trip with fuelling up the Astra. A bad decision...

Met a couple on the aire at calais, they could have done with one of them on their new hymer water tank.

Told me that they put desiel into the water tank, realised what they had done, stopped in a layby and drained it into a ditch (good of them) said they had rinsed the tank several times, and were going to use the next tank full for washing/washing up etc, tried to put them off, but they took no notice.

Guest Tracker
breakaleg - 2011-04-30 2:19 PM

Met a couple on the aire at calais, they could have done with one of them on their new hymer water tank.

That's why I used to carry the key for the fuel filler with me (ignition key) and leave the water filler key in the van until I get water!

Now I have that awful filler system so beloved by Autocruise I don't have that worry - but filling with water is a pain by comparison!

Guest Tracker

Don't knock it till you've tried it as it can happen to any of us and it is more of a risk if you have a petrol engined car at home than it is if all your vehicles are diesel.

I did it once a few years ago when I was unwell and under extreme stress and I hope never to do it again.

Imagine the inconvenience of misfuelling abroad?

Probably worth thirty squids to remove the risk?

There was an inquiry about mis-fuelling in the Honest John section of the Motoring section (page M7) of yesterday's Telegraph. This seems to suggest that, besides the real risk of putting petrol into a diesel-engined vehicle, it may also possible to do the opposite. I guess the latter might have been true when vehicle fuel-filler diameters and fuel-pump nozzles were not standardised, but I don't THINK it's practicable with modern vehicles.

There are alternatives to "Fuel Angel" - these are links to a couple of them:

http://www.sol-ace.co.uk/PreventMisfuelling/index.php

http://www.fuelsure.com/

while Ford fits the "Easy Fuel" device as standard to a number of it's models.

A potential (and not really surprising) security limitation of all the mis-fuelling devices I've come across is that none of them seem to have a locking capability. This won't matter where there's a lockable 'flap' protecting the original filler-cap, but (on my Transit for example) that's not always the case.

Looking the Solodiesel and others similar I see a slight problem, not sure, but our filler flaps do not keep out the rain and water from hose pipes when washing and so could collect in the device where you stick the nozzle. Then when the flap opens a small amount of water drops into the tank.

The Fuelsure being a cap which is removed by the nozzle would not give rise to the problem of water dropping into tank as would be in the cap still, although the nozzle might get a bit wet it would be a much smaller amount. Having not seem st hand any of the devices I do not know if it is an issue or not.

Any views?

Brambles - 2011-05-01 12:28 PM

Looking the Solodiesel and others similar I see a slight problem, not sure, but our filler flaps do not keep out the rain and water from hose pipes when washing and so could collect in the device where you stick the nozzle. Then when the flap opens a small amount of water drops into the tank.

The Fuelsure being a cap which is removed by the nozzle would not give rise to the problem of water dropping into tank as would be in the cap still, although the nozzle might get a bit wet it would be a much smaller amount. Having not seem st hand any of the devices I do not know if it is an issue or not.

Any views?

Rain/washing water-retention would not occur with "Fuel Angel" that has a conventional (but non-locking) cap protecting the filler aperture, but - having not seen 1st hand any of these devices either - I don't know if water retention would happen with the other products. It's a predictable risk, so they MAY incorporate a drain of some sort. Unless one opts for Fuel Angel, it's something that a potential buyer would want to investigate with the supplier.

Archived