AutoSleeper Symphony - Fuel consumption

Fiona

Can anyone advise me what fuel consumption I should expect from my 1995 AutoSleeper Symphony (Peugeot Boxer) motorhome? It is a 2.0 Petrol model with a mileage of 46,000. It is a recent purchase & I seem to get approximately 15mpg - is this normal? It is in good condition & has been regularly serviced & maintained. The tyre pressures are as recommended.

15mpg is certainly on the heavy side.

I've dug out an August 1996 copy of "Which Motorcaravan". This contains a report on a Talbot/(Peugeot)-based 1993 A-S Talisman with 1971cc petrol motor and the average fuel consumption across a test-distance of 183 miles was quoted as 18.7mpg. Another report in the same WM issue - this time of a new (ie. 1996) Murvi Meteor with 2-litre Fiat petrol engine (with multi-point fuel-injection and catalytic converter) quoted 23.0mpg across a 224 miles test-distance.

The above data suggest that your Symbol should be able to average around 20mpg if it's in mechanically good condition and there's nothing technically amiss with it, but simple things - like a dirty air-filter - can dramatically increase fuel consumption. A record of regular service/maintenance is fine, but only as long as the people carrying out that work have done it properly.

Guest Tracker

We had several petrol powered A/S Talisman coachbuilts in the 80s and 90s, on Talbot Express and Boxers and they all did just over 20mpg.

Sometimes with a light foot 24 and sometimes into a headwind with a heavy foot 17 and I would expect at least the same from a panel van conversion of that era.

I am not for one minute criticising anyone's driving but driving a heavy van is very different to driving a car.

One thought is that if you drive the van with the same cut and thrust that many of us drive our lightweight nippy cars you will certainly pay the price at the pumps and this is what happened to one friend of ours who bought one of our vans from us and complained of very poor mpg - untill I drove with him and demonstrated the gentle way to accelerate, think ahead and brake - not that I am an expert!

It might be worth consulting an auto electrician or Peugeot dealer and having the on board diagnostics socket and the ignition system connected to a reader and checked for any errors or faults?

Thank you all for your replies - whilst a novice to Motorhoming, I think I have adapted my driving to some degree, but will take further care. It sounds as if the consumption is a bit on the heavy side, so I will follow up your various suggestions

Short runs give very heavy fuel consumption and for accurate checks top up the tank.

Binding brakes demand more throttle, check it runs easily on a very slight slope.

A duff coling system thermostat will waste fuel as well as increasing engine wear. Start from cold and check the top of the radiator by hand. If warming is gradual the thermostat may be permanently open. With the stat working correctly the rad stays cold for some minutes and then rapidly gets hot as the stat opens.

Archived