Camping in Germany

4petedaniel

4petedaniel - 2011-05-01 11:51 AM

Hi I am thinking about taking the camper to Germany soon and would like suggestions of routes and sites. I would be crossing at Dover.

Pete, perhaps you could be a little more explicit, it is a fairly big place. One thing I would say although we do not use aires much in France we use stellplatz a lot more as their are more decent ones so buy the Bordatlas. Their is no French book that is anywhere near as complete as this and although pretty expensive still worth it. It is all in German with some English explanations of symbols at front but easy to make out. A trip we did a couple of years ago was across to Trier, down the Moselle to Koblenz, down the Rhine to around Mainz then over to the romantic road which we joined just above Rothenburg ob der Tauber, top half is OK but bottom half the best, we followed this to Fussen. From here we continued into Austria but you could cut back from here to Lake Constance and return via Black Forest and Alsace taking in the Rhein Falls on the way.

Well, we'll need to know where in Germany you're headed, it's the second largest country in Europe, so you can enter via France/Belgium/Holland, France/Belgium, France/Belgium/Luxembourg, or just France.  There are a lot of sites, mostly very good, all over Germany so, without knowing where you want to go, suggestions may be hopelessly irrelevant.

I am open to any suggestions I realy want other campers based experiance of the country. my only driveing in Germany was on the autoban to Austria did not realy enjoy the experiance much, I expect to spent 3-4 weeks if I enjoy the place.

4petedaniel - 2011-05-01 12:53 PM

I am open to any suggestions I realy want other campers based experiance of the country. my only driveing in Germany was on the autoban to Austria did not realy enjoy the experiance much, I expect to spent 3-4 weeks if I enjoy the place.

Well I have made my suggestion which you could do in four weeks. German autobahns are a bit of a nightmare, general condition not good, busy, and where unrestricted you have to be very carefull. Only good point they are F.O.C., will still use them if required.

We have just returned from camping along the Mosel River . Starting in Cochem and on to Trier . Wonderful weather , scenery etc and driving is a pleasure . We stayed mainly on the aires overlooking the river but there are plenty of sites too . If you have bikes then its great for that too and if you like wine then your in heaven

You have had some good advice, you do need a good book of sites the Bord Atlas that has already been suggested along with the Acsi book should be all you need for now, as its your first time make for Trier and follow the Mossel it is a lovely experience and very easy driving I think the first time we went we did Koblenz to Trier you will find lots of sites and Stalz which are the same as Aires only i n and out of Germany so we have probably missed a lot of the good Aire

If you have a GPS its much more relaxing and enjoyable in MY case I like to concentrate on the scenery.

We have been to Fussen the last couple of years this year were making for the Hertz mountains but its not writen in stone ;-) the beauty of Motorhoming is being able to change ittinery any time just relax and enjoy the journey.

For a couple of charming, old, towns, try Tubingen in Schwabia on the Neckar (I lived there for 2 years & its still nice?) & similar but a different location, Fussen - another lovely old town. Schloss Neuschwanstein is at Fussen & Schloss Hohenzollern near Tubingen ( both worth a visit if you like Disney Style castles.

Whatever - GrussGot!

Jeremy (the L'AimeDuck)

2138272571_hohenzollern19SqPhantoms.jpg.001472b8ab259f68e45d6bce500ecbba.jpg

Last year we did Trier then slowly up the Moselle, whatever else you do don't miss out Bernkasle or Cochem, lots of things to see before you reach Koblenz. Cross the Rhine head for the romantic road which starts around Wurzburg head slowly down to Augsburg then "turn left" to visit the infamous Dachau concentration camp, then back to the romantic road and down to Fussen, then after that it is well worth a short drive over to Shaffhousen to see the Rhine falls, impressive waterfalls. That journey will probably take you more than three weeks.

From here we carried on to Switzerland, Italy, Monaco and Spain.

Have a nice trip, just take your time and enjoy

Archived