Lidl Satellite Dish help please

Rowan Lee

Hi,

I've been lucky enough, I think, to get a Lidl suitcase kit today (£29.99), had to get up early and be first in the queue! I've set it all up, but I can't get a signal, surprise surprise.

I have tested the decoder by plugging it into my Sky dish, and it works fine. However, when I connect it up to the Lidl dish, which I have set up in the same area as my Sky dish and pointing in roughly the same direction and using the signal finder gadget that came with it together with a compass, I can't get a picture. I am trying to get Astra 2, which is coming up on the TV (the decoder is pre-tuned) but then says "No Signal". When I go to Info, the signal strength shows at around 76 per cent and the signal quality at 14 per cent. It doesn't matter what I do with the dish, even turning it round to face in completely the opposite direction, I get the same readings.

Is it just a case of persevering, or have I got a fault somewhere, maybe in the co-ax connections or the LNB? I can't test the co-ax connections with my Sky dish as the Sky cable just comes straight through the wall into the box.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Since you are getting a strength and quality display but no picture, the usual problem is you are pointing at the wrong satellite. Astra 2 is at 28 degrees, and Astra1 at 19 degrees. (Hotbird is at 13 degrees)

Try moving dish anti-clockwise about 10 degrees.

Also reboot everything in case you've jammed the electronics ie disconnect from mains, leave 30 seconds, reconnect and try again

Arthur

Connections connections connections.......

They were our failing at first. Check and recheck that they're ok. We superglued ours once we'd established hey were ok.

As for thinking you have set the dish up in roughly the same direction, you almost certainly won't have - if our attempts were anything to go by.

Move the dish slowly when looking for a signal and keep your hands from the front of the dish, handle it from the bottom.

It works for us, after a period of learning AKA trial & error :D

Martyn

They are finicky but once you get the hang of it no problem. I have had one for a few years now and they may have changed. However to set up I press "Info" and then "1" which provides an audible tone of signal strength. Use the compass attached to the disc and slowly rotate the dish in the suggested area. If no success alter the angle of the dish and keep trying.

I have mine fitted to a tripod that was provided with for the ALDI lazer spirit level and it makes it so much easier. Unfortunately its perseverance.

Useful site http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

The blustery wind will not help your cause, yet another little nugget we've picked up. Perhaps there is no scientific explanation but it's not easy when either (or both) the wind and rain is at its worst.

Once you've got your first perfect pic, they just get easier.

Martyn

Archived