Lidl Satellite Dish help please

Rowan Lee

Hi,

I've been lucky enough, I think, to get a Lidl suitcase kit today (£29.99), had to get up early and be first in the queue! I've set it all up, but I can't get a signal, surprise surprise.

I have tested the decoder by plugging it into my Sky dish, and it works fine. However, when I connect it up to the Lidl dish, which I have set up in the same area as my Sky dish and pointing in roughly the same direction and using the signal finder gadget that came with it together with a compass, I can't get a picture. I am trying to get Astra 2, which is coming up on the TV (the decoder is pre-tuned) but then says "No Signal". When I go to Info, the signal strength shows at around 76 per cent and the signal quality at 14 per cent. It doesn't matter what I do with the dish, even turning it round to face in completely the opposite direction, I get the same readings.

Is it just a case of persevering, or have I got a fault somewhere, maybe in the co-ax connections or the LNB? I can't test the co-ax connections with my Sky dish as the Sky cable just comes straight through the wall into the box.

Advice would be much appreciated.

I have one and used it for years, it;s now in the loft as I bought a Camos planar antenna fixed on the roof, the "box" is still in use.

I remember the first few times I tried it, I decided it was faulty and had one last go, BINGO up came the signal.

First, select say, BBC 1 or another station that you know is broadcasting, make sure you have astra 28.2 selected as the satellite, use the compass / sat finder to take a bearing by eye on some object in the distance, this is much easier than trying to look at it while swinging the dish. That object is now the point to aim at. Make sure the dish is as vertical as possible. Now you really need to see the screen of the TV with the signal meter showing, forget a seperate signal meter, it will respond to all sorts of other signals. SLOWLY swing the dish to and fro watching the signal quality, ignore the signal strength, when you see a valid signal the signal meter colour will change to green, if you get 70 - 80% quality you will have a good signal.

Try skewing the LNB one way and the other, you will see an improvement when you get the skew right.

It is possible that there is a fault with the co-ax or LNB, but my feeling is that there is probably not a fault and you just need to practice :-D I got to be so good I could get a signal in Spain in about 30 seconds!

H

Many thanks Hallii. I've double posted this thread somehow, but I've said on the other one that I've given up for today, it's a horrible cold blustery wind which isn't helping at all, either the signal or my temper. So I've now nearly finished my ironing instead and I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hi, I have used a LIDL dish and receiver all over France with no problems and I have used it with a 1metre dish in Spain. No problems until I accidentally set the skew angle on the LNB wrong.

Roughly looking at the dish from behind the LNB towards the dish the skew is approx at 7 o'clock. i.e looking at the LNB the lead coming out of the bottom of the LNB should line up with an imaginary 7 o'clock. That is set it vertical then twist it clockwise.

good luck Mike

PS - you need a clear line of site, no trees etc in the way. Also if you are at home then look at houses near you for their dishes direction, if possible take your compass and line it up with their dishes, then you are in with a chance.

One thing to be carefull of is NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN the F connector on the LNB. If it is cross threaded or overtightend the socket may twist and the centre connection brake away from the circuit board inside the LNB, especially carefull with the portable type being connected and disconnected all the time.

Brian B.

mike 202 - 2011-05-02 7:02 PM

Hi, I have used a LIDL dish and receiver all over France with no problems and I have used it with a 1metre dish in Spain. No problems until I accidentally set the skew angle on the LNB wrong.

Roughly looking at the dish from behind the LNB towards the dish the skew is approx at 7 o'clock. i.e looking at the LNB the lead coming out of the bottom of the LNB should line up with an imaginary 7 o'clock. That is set it vertical then twist it clockwise.

good luck Mike

PS - you need a clear line of site, no trees etc in the way. Also if you are at home then look at houses near you for their dishes direction, if possible take your compass and line it up with their dishes, then you are in with a chance.

We have used one of these dishes all over France/Germany/Belgium etc. very successfully after a few abortive attempts to set it up in the beginning. It is useful for someone to be watching the TV screen if you cannot see it yourself from your position. Make sure you have a clear line of sight and that nothing of any height (buildings - trees) is within about 30 metres of the dish. The process I eventually came up with is: 1st - Make sure the LNB is square so that the cable comes out of it directly downwards,( imagine the six o clock position on a clock face.) 2nd - Make sure the dish is vertical and pointing to the South. 3rd - Slowly turn the dish towards the East in approx. one degree movements until a signal is observed on the TV. 4th - If no signal is obtained on the first sweep, tilt the dish back one degree and sweep back East to South. When a signal is found you will be able to check its' strength on the box.Practice makes Perfect - it took me 60 mins the first time I tried it and this is now down to 5 mins max. Perseverance is the key! :-D B-)

Archived