Croatia & Hungary in September/October ??

HymerVan

We planned to travel to Europe in May/ June but cannot now go till end August i.e. in Europe September and October.

Roughly route is Calais---Southern Germany--Austria, round top of Italy into Croatia. Down Croatian Coast then back up Croatia to Hungary. We intend to travel extensively in Hungary going as far as the Eastern border. Return trip would probably be via Austria and back to Calais.

Obviously we have researched/can research site opening dates and and weather but I would appreciate any comments or advice about Croatia in Late September and Hungary in October.

Essentially is this itinerary too ambitious or inapropriate for the time of year ?

HymerVan - 2011-05-02 2:29 PM

We planned to travel to Europe in May/ June but cannot now go till end August i.e. in Europe September and October.

Roughly route is Calais---Southern Germany--Austria, round top of Italy into Croatia. Down Croatian Coast then back up Croatia to Hungary. We intend to travel extensively in Hungary going as far as the Eastern border. Return trip would probably be via Austria and back to Calais.

Obviously we have researched/can research site opening dates and and weather but I would appreciate any comments or advice about Croatia in Late September and Hungary in October.

Essentially is this itinerary too ambitious or inapropriate for the time of year ?

You will find a lot of in depth information here http://www.langdale-associates.com/index.htm

Also see http://www.magbaztravels.com/

You might have problems finding campsites open in October especially in Hungary.

Don

We have visited Croatia twice during September/October, weather has generally been good but the later it gets sites start to close but we have never had a problem - ACSI card is useful. We plan to vist again this year but first we want to cycle part of the Danube Way through Germany and Austria.

PS Dont miss Trogir a real gem.

Visited Croatia in autumn 2008, arriving 5 September and leaving 9 October.  Weather was generally fine, but often windy.  Caught the Bora full on most of our way south: a bit like the mistral on steroids!  :-)  There were also a number of local winds, mostly called maestral/e, which were quite boisterous.  We avoided the motorway south, using the Magistrale.  It is a long way down either road (about 430 miles from Trieste) if you go to Dubrovnik, so an equally long way back!  If visiting Dubrovnik, you will need to take a ferry from Trpanj to Ploce (pay on arrival at the ferry port) to avoid the Neum corridor (in Bosnia), or get insurance for Bosnia.  Many companies will not cover Bosnia, even for an additional premium.

Croatia is non-EU, the other countries are all EU.  Your insurance should, without further question, cover the EU countries, and most, but I gather not all, will include Croatia, so Bruce's advice to check is wise. 

The most useful language in Hungary and Croatia is German.  Many Croats speak some English, but relatively fewer Hungarians.

Don't expect to understand too much in Hungary, the language seem to be unique, and is not understood even by the surrounding Slavic speakers!  Rumours that it is related to Finnish were hotly denied by two Finns we met in Hungary.  :-)  However, they are gentle, friendly, helpful people, and in our experience always tried to understand what you wanted.  Have fun.

Thanks for your various helpful and informative responses. I think we will keep Croatia for next year allowing us to visit Hungary in September and more familiar Western European territory in October. Plan next year would be to get down as far as Dubrovnik (avoiding the Neum corridor) then take ferry across to Bari and visit Southern Italy.

• 3 months later...
We travelled in Croatia this spring, don't bother with the expensive ferry, eoropeans laugh at the English, its about a 12 mile stretch of main road which is designated to Bosnia and you just drive straight through and then the same back. Your insurance automatically gives you third party but really there is absolutely no risk. English is very widely spoken and yes take the ACSI book. We loved it and will go again

gwyn - 2011-08-09 9:03 PM.............................Your insurance automatically gives you third party but really there is absolutely no risk. ..............................

That is quite the opposite of what my insurer told me! Do you have that advice in writing from your insurer, please - or is Bosnia included in the territorial limits as defined in your policy? If the latter, it may be helpful to others to say who the insurer is.

In 2008 I drove through the Bosnian corridor without a problem , but this year only went as far as Omis on the far side of Split. In conversation with another Brit (not so many this year) we were told the Bosnians were asking for proof of insurance e.g. greencard before allowing access. So do check with your insurance, as I was not covered in 2008. But no checks in those days

Several Germans/French we spoke to were visiting Montenegro and Albania and were covered without extra premiums.

Sadly we found Croatia in June much busier than 2008. Camp sites very full and over-crowded for us. But it is a beautiful drive down the coastline.

We preferred Bosnia to Croatia and paid for insurance at the boarder - approx. 30Euros for a month. The people were friendlier and more welcoming and the only poor service we received was in Mostar - the rest of the country was fantastic.

We visited Croatia in June and July this year, on our journey south we avoided Italy by heading further east in Austria and entered Slovenia and then headed south and southwest to Postogne for the caves and stellplatz before entering Croatia and the coast near Rjecka.

Campsites were initially quiet apart from German and Austrians and a few Dutch but as the ASCI card period started to end the campsites got even emptier, its always a problem chossing a pitch when there's most of the campsite to choose from.

We used the ferry to get around Bosnia, about £35 each way, but I understand the caravan club insurance allows you to cross the "strip" but not go anywhere else in Bosnia.

One reason to use the ferry is to visit the end of the Pelegesic peninsular and visit Loviste and the first campsite you come to in the village,Autocamp Denka, superb location very friendly owner, we were welcomed with a couple of beers and his family history, local guide books etc and probably the best pitch. Made famous by Andy Stothert's article and well worth the visit.

cheers alan

Guest JudgeMental

we have just returned last night from a month in Croatia/Italy. Krk island is lovely, Baska at southern tip a really pleasant beach resort, attached to a working fishing village. we liked it so much we abandoned our plans to island hop. If we go again we will probably drive down to Zadar and vist the islands of Pag and Rab

the Istria peninsular was disappointing, dirty sea water which got filthier the more you travelled north towards Italy (Islands crystal clear) expensive and overcrowded campsites, and not as nice as further south..but this was in July/August

• 6 months later...
wow an interesting thread. I hope to go to Croatia some time in Jul Aug Sep this year. I would be interested in any and all information. I hope to travel from Scotland to Germany through Austria and then to Dubrovnic. I intend to use this journey to see if it is more feasible to travel this way rather than ferry to Greece which is very very very expensive. I am away from tonight until about the 5th Mar and look forward to any or all the replies that I may receive.

IMO, your biggest problem will be insurance for Montenegro and Albania, both of which lie between the tip of Croatia and Greece. A more straightforward overland route, though possibly longer depending on what part of Greece you want to reach, is via Hungary, Roumania, and Bulgaria, because you stay within the EU and your insurance should, therefore, automatically cover those countries.

There are four ferry routes from Italy to Greece, leaving from Venice, Ancona, Bari, or Brindisi, to Igoumenitsa or Patras. The crossings are longish (12 hours min, from memory) but at the time of year you intend going you can book "camping on board" and use your van accommodation on the crossing.

We (two people + 6 metre van) went Ancona - Igoumenitsa (Anek) camping on board in September 2010, and the fare was surprisingly reasonable for a 14 hour crossing. Our original early booking fare was only €216 return (book online, pay by card) - but we had to change that, and lost the early booking discount, but even then paid only €432. That is about what I can remember paying to cross the Channel Newhaven-Dieppe years ago - so not that bad. :-)

If your crossings are looking much more expensive than that I'd suggest part is due to travelling in the July peak, when in any case the temperatures are liable to be crippling, and possibly because you are not going direct to the operators' websites and playing with days and times. Anek, Minoan and Superfast seemed to have the better ferries at the time. Many just turn up and pay at the port on arrival, shopping for the best offer. Do remember that Greece carries particular risks at present.

Spent 2 months travelling Hungary, Czech Rep. and Slovakia. Hungary is wonderful.

Particularly liked Pannonhalma - pretty and well situated campsite with access to the world heritage site behind (Pannonhalma abbey)

Sopron - worth a visit. Sorry if I don;t go into detail about why, but for all I mention you'll be able to research yourself - these are just my favourites.

North side of Lake Balaton - quiet. Heviz has a different thermal experience to hotels and a campsite right next door - Castrum I think.

Tiszafured -quiet lake and birds, bike path

Bukk hills and stables ar Szilvasvarad - great walk down to village after taking train up hills. Stables worth a look.

Bugac - famous horse shows - 1 man on 5 horses etc. When we went, only us and a small coach of local children. Best restaurant and wonderful food and cheap campsite all there. We stayed 3 days, and one other van arrived.

Obviously Budapest - hope these help.

Archived