best bike rack Omnistore or Fiamma

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Bit of a dilema.........I am going to have to go for a door mounted rack on new ducato van. as tow bar and thule rack is very expensive, plus I cant open the rear doors, to get to gas bottle locker or lugage under bed, and the reversing sensors wont work*-)

both the fiamma and Omnistor racks have only a 35kg capacity, limited I guess by strenth of Fiat door as the similar coachbuilt rack is 50kg :-S

will have to change one bike at least to a lighter model but which is strongest/best rack please? Security will be OK with e expensive e bikes, as the towing ring is directly below and I will use a good motorbike lock and chain

Or if anyone can suggest an alternative rack I would appreciate it :-D

You might want to look at the Omnistor "Omnibike Sport 2 Door".

From the info, though it isn't as easy to fit as the dedicated Ducato one, it will work, can be fitted to either of the rear doors, and can be opened with the bikes on it.

This will take up to 3 bikes (with an additional rail), and the weight limit is 50kg.

I have a Fiamma so naturally I think they are best. I have to say though,I have seen more distorted and bent omnistore racks than Fiamma but maybe does not mean much if there are more on the road.

I reversed into trimmed hedge once, knew I was doing it, but blow me there was post just hidden by the leaves. I bent the rack quite badly and was surpised how strong it was when trying to bend it straight. Anyway, I am not being much help here am I? I was going to say if the rack is too strong and you whack something it might be preferrable the rack bends rather than the door so strongest is not nesessarily best.

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2011-05-02 4:52 PM

You might want to look at the Omnistor "Omnibike Sport 2 Door".

From the info, though it isn't as easy to fit as the dedicated Ducato one, it will work, can be fitted to either of the rear doors, and can be opened with the bikes on it.

This will take up to 3 bikes (with an additional rail), and the weight limit is 50kg.

Excellent! and well spotted ! How did I miss that one......Great stuff! it will take our existing bikes as well (will remove batterys though)

Guest JudgeMental
Does anyone know anywhere in the S/E of England (we are in London) where I can get the thing fitted? :-D

JudgeMental - 2011-05-02 5:55 PM

Does anyone know anywhere in the S/E of England (we are in London) where I can get the thing fitted? :-D

Judge, Try Caravan Tech at Hurst Green http://www.caravantech-shop.co.uk/contact.php they are a great company to deal with and Omnistor supplier but call them to make sure they will supply Camper van parts?

Just a nice drive down the A21.

Regards,

Guest JudgeMental
Ian03/54 - 2011-05-02 7:04 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-05-02 5:55 PM

Judge, Try Caravan Tech at Hurst Green http://www.caravantech-shop.co.uk/contact.php they are a great company to deal with and Omnistor supplier but call them to make sure they will supply Camper van parts?

Just a nice drive down the A21.

Regards,

Thanks! tried them and while they could supply and fit, busy till 8th June 8-)

You would be surprised how difficult something like this can be...if they dont stock make they wont fit, wont fit if you supply...... or if you did not buy van from them likewise!(Cranhams *-) ) In the end I have a booking with the excellent John Cross motorhomes who are very easy to deal with, reasonable quote and happy to fit even though they are a Fiamma agent (have ordered Thule rack elsewhere)

Thanks again everyone for the help! :-D

Archived