Bailey Unicorn product recall

Guest sallyp

Guest sallyp

Very puzzled by the product recall announcement by Bailey (news story: http://bit.ly/leTfVC ). How on earth can it be that the Unicorn caravans have been on the road since August 2010, but problems with the torquing of wheels have only come to light in the last fortnight?

Obviously if the wheel falls off a caravan, it's a serious safety issue, which is why it's being phrased in serious language. However Bailey advice quite rightly is not to panic, but to follow best practice and make sure your wheels bolts are correctly torqued before every journey, and to take your Unicorn back to the dealer so they can check the bolt torque if you're not confident to do this yourself.

Note: this is only the Unicorn single axle models.

What do Unicorn owners think - and what are you finding as you check the torque of your own caravan wheels? :-S

I believe this may be a more serious matter than incorrectly torqued wheel nuts. I watched the mechanic check the torque on our brand new Valencia. Within 35 miles the nearside wheel broke - split in two - due to what looks like a fault in the alloy casting. If anyone wants to see the photographs of the wheel they can. We are now waiting in the dealer deciding what to do. We have rejected the caravan and require either a new one with 100% satisfactory wheels or our money back. We don't want a repaired caravan that has never been used!

• 2 months later...
I recently purchased a Bailey Unicorn Seville and was worried by the above issue, I phoned the dealer and was told that only one caravan had been affected does anyone know different as I am about to set off on a trip to Spain for the winter and I feel uneasy about this product recall :'( :'(

Archived