European Breakdown cover.

carebear

Anyone with a 8mtr + van, know of reasonable breakdown cover for France.

Red pennants quote was over £300 bit far fetched i thought, for 15 days stay.

Van is only 3 years old, length is against us.

Got Mayday breakdown here, tried GreenFlag said no euro cover available.

Try the ADAC, full cover for me and Mrs Hallii all over Europe, around £90.

They have recently dealt with my breakdown in Spain, very efficient, they arranged low loader to garage, arranged the repairs, checked cost, and booked me and Mrs H into a hotel for a week whilst it was done. (all free).

I had the option to be flown home and the van transported to a UK destination of my choice.

Mrs H and I are covered for any vehicle anywhere in Europe even if only a passenger.

I don't think a UK based organisation can beat this sort of cover.

H

May be worth changing your insurer, Comfort Insurance European Breakdown cover was £57 last year ( I think it's gone up a couple quid this year) has no restrictions on size or weight for Motorhomes, & their policy rates are usually competitive.

I have an 8.7metre Van (Tag Axle), got my UK/European Breakdown Cover as part of the Insurance Package with Caravan Guard for a little over £300 and European Cover is valid for 8 months out of 12. Safegueard also include AA Cover (including 365 day European Cover) as part of their Insurance cover, they were however more expensive than Caravan Guard.

Caravan Club must have changed their European policy, when I asked for a quote last year they could give me UK cover but stated that they did not provide European cover for Motorhomes over 7metres.

carebear - 2011-05-05 5:34 PM

Anyone with a 8mtr + van, know of reasonable breakdown cover for France.

Red pennants quote was over £300 bit far fetched i thought, for 15 days stay.

Van is only 3 years old, length is against us.

Got Mayday breakdown here, tried GreenFlag said no euro cover available.

I had the same problem as my new 'van is a fraction over 3 metres high because of the satellite dish on top! Every reasonably priced British insurer had a maximum of 3 metres.

In the end after scouring forums such as this I discovered ADAC and now have full UK and European breakdown cover for about 80 Euro.

ADAC's height restriction is 3.2 metres and its length is 10 metres but the best part of the policy is that it covers the driver and not the vehicle.

This means that I am covered in my private car as well as in the motorhome. It is also a family package, which doesn't help me as I'm not married but if you have a wife she is covered in the same way.

It's a brilliant deal. Most firms just cover Europe but this is the UK as well!

I phoned this number and asked for Stephanie: 00 49 89 7676 2636.

She speaks good English but she'll ask you to email your details so there's no translation problem. Your membership card(s) will arrive in days and you pay by credit card.

If you break down in the UK you'll find yourself being rescued by Green Flag for instance to whom ADAC subcontracts its services.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx

BGD - 2011-05-06 12:00 AM

Don't bother.

If your MH breaks down (one in a million chance) then just ring a local garage, and pay them to fix it.

Sorted.

So you break down in a foreign country, or even more likely, you have puncture. Now there is no way that I'm changing my very heavy wheel on the side of a busy foreign highway.

I will get out my ADAC card and there's the number to call. They will send out a local garage, or the local equivalent of the AA or Green Flag to fix the problem, whatever the time of day..

Now, you have the same problem in Portugal, or Croatia or Germany so you'd just ring a local garage?

How do you know the number of a local garage? What do you do if it's eight o'clock at night and the garages are closed?

I'm new to this lark so I'll really welcome your advice on how to cope when having an emergency in a strange foreign land, where you have no idea where garages are, and what to do if it's outside normal hours, or on a Sunday,

When you've reassured me I shall be able to make a note that I won't need to renew my breakdown policy when it expires.

Thank you so much.

Archived