Outer Hebrides camp sites?

brownsat259

Can anyone advise us of campsites with electrics in the Outer Hebrides? I have found a couple but both on Lewis. We had hoped to visit the islands for the first time this year, but I need electricity to power an oxygen generator overnight. Alternatively, I would be very interested if anyone can recommend a genuinely silent generator (f there really is such a thing!)

The one on Benbecula cost £15.00 a night and £3.00 for electricity. It's OK as a last resort but to be honest, although we stayed for one night, minus the elctric, I regret doing so to this day. It really isn't worth the fee and is no better than a CL type site. Try wildcamping or using some of the crofts that are starting to take motorhomes to suppliment their incomes. You can get details from any tourist info centre on the islands.

Guest Tracker

We found the various tourist info ofices really helpful on the Islands - might be worth an email to each?

I don't know how many watts you need for oxygen but is an extra leisure battery and an inverter an option?

brownsat259 - 2011-05-05 6:38 PM

Can anyone advise us of campsites with electrics in the Outer Hebrides? I have found a couple but both on Lewis. We had hoped to visit the islands for the first time this year, but I need electricity to power an oxygen generator overnight. Alternatively, I would be very interested if anyone can recommend a genuinely silent generator (f there really is such a thing!)

If you want a genuinely silent generator then get an Effoy, ask clive about them.

Guest Tracker

The Efoy is a good, if expensive, idea but is a fuel cell rather than a generator.

http://www.efoy.com/en/

It generates 12 volts DC so you would still need an inverter to get to 230 volts AC.

For more info see -

http://www.motts.org/FUEL%20CELL%20COMPILATION.pdf

Clive is an electrical and electronics whizz and a regular on the forum - for the benefit of newcomers!

Grateful thanks for everyone's input.

To answer one question, according to my husband we need at least 800watts, so an extra leisure battery & an inverter are not an option. It's not just the oxygen generator, there's also the ventilator I need overnight (not as dramatic as it sounds really) which needs power.

The Efoy generator sounds good though - we shall investigate further.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/5607-isle-lewis-isle-harris-western-isles.html

This site has really useful information - thanks Rupert - maybe we will get to the islands this summer after all. I was beginning to think we’d have to stick to mainland Scotland as usual.

Many thanks again.

Archived