First European trip, advice please

All things being equal, well basically if Autoglass can get a replacement front screen in time, we will be venturing over to France to next week for our first foray. We only bought the Motorhome last September and have been out with it about 6 times so far, so still very inexperienced. Any advice would be welcome on things to take with us, plus any suggestions for sites in Brittany, preferably walking distance to restaurants etc. The other half still hasn't figured out how to open the oven, that's her excuse anyway.

Thanks in anticipation.

We visited Brittany in July last year. Travelled Plymouth - Roscoff and returned Caen - Portsmouth. Stayed first night in the aire at St Pol de Leon, hard to find but for a free night's camping, fantastic.

Then stayed in Yelloh Village in Benodet for five nights. Cost was €17/night with hook up and only a short walk into town which is very nice with some nice places to eat. Only a few pitches for mh's but very spacious and shady.

Next up was a Castels site at Carnac - La Grande Metarie. This was a bit pricy at around €35/night but fantastic facilities and only a km or two from the beach and town. We love standing stones and this place is magical. The site was very, very busy with children but since we have a five year old, that wasn't a worry. Pitches here were also fantastic - ours was almost 200 square metres and also shady.

En-route to Normandy we did an overnight in the municipal site at Fougeres for €18. This was incredibly peaceful and about 2km from the town centre. There are lots of nice looking restaurants in Fougeres and the castle is a great half day visit. Spend the rest of the day wandering round the old town and enjoying a beer.

All of the sites were clean and good value for money. in fact we'd gladly go back to any of them. 'Problem' is, France is so enormous and its all beautiful, so we're off somewhere different this year (Loire valley).

Don't forget a French adaptor for hook up, foreign breakdown insurance and your vehicle documents including insurance green card. Otherwise I think all you need to take is a determination to enjoy yourself.

Dont forget your Yellow gilets which must be kept inside the van, a set of different size tap connectors for your water, two Warning triangles, and a set of spare bulbs.

When you arrive in France remember to chill out, driving here is so much easier, less congestion, better roads and frequent places to stop for a quick cuppa B-). You may even decide that you want to explore further into this vaste country :-) .

I think it is not necesary to have 'Green Card' insurance for France.My insurance company does not issue them. Enjoy your trip , use supermarkets for cheaper fuel. Most sites are good. Use ACSI book or Camping Cheques if going in Low season (which means not July or August) these will give you lower priced site fee's.

Retread24800 - 2011-05-07 10:44 PM

Dont forget your Yellow gilets which must be kept inside the van, a set of different size tap connectors for your water, two Warning triangles, and a set of spare bulbs.

When you arrive in France remember to chill out, driving here is so much easier, less congestion, better roads and frequent places to stop for a quick cuppa B-). You may even decide that you want to explore further into this vaste country :-) .

You need 2 Warning Triangles? Also are the French Tap connections available this side of the chanell do you know?

You need 2 Warning Triangles? Also are the French Tap connections available this side of the chanell do you know?

So I've been told, and English tap adaptors are the same all BSP its an historic thing!!! Left over from the time before we bought everything from China b-)

The Caravan Club offers several free leaflets, in PDF form, that are avaiable to non-members. See http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-trip/overseas-trips/overseas-advice-leaflets

You might find some of the following useful:

1. An extra lead. You can't always get to the socket with just one.

2. Two-pin adaptor

3. Polarity tester. I keep mine plugged into a female UK 3-pin adapter, like this -- http://tinyurl.com/6z9ulr9 -- so I can test at the bollard before hooking up

4. Polarity reversing lead. You have to make this up yourself. See http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/frencheuropeanelectric.htm for advice on this and connections generally. I wrapped a spiral of red insulating tape round the lead of mine so there's no mistaking it. I needed it on the first foreign site I went to, and a couple of others subsequently. You might be lucky and not need it this time but it's worthwhile if you do further touring abroad.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

You don't say if you have experience of driving on the right. If you are not used to it perhaps I can pass on two tips that have kept me safe since 1964 (oops!).

1.If stopping choose a lay-bye on your side of the road, never cross to the other side as when you leave again it's easy to pull away on the wrong side of the road.

2. The place you are most likely to pull onto the wrong side of the road is at a 'T' junction, so extra care.

Have a great time

terryW - 2011-05-08 9:49 AMYou don't say if you have experience of driving on the right. If you are not used to it perhaps I can pass on two tips that have kept me safe since 1964 (oops!).

1.If stopping choose a lay-bye on your side of the road, never cross to the other side as when you leave again it's easy to pull away on the wrong side of the road.

2. The place you are most likely to pull onto the wrong side of the road is at a 'T' junction, so extra care.

Have a great time

I've done a fair bit of driving on the continent, so that holds no real fears. Agree about T-junctions being the most hazardous time, I use a mantra every time I approach a junction, "Right turn good, Left turn bad" keeps me focussed.

terryW - 2011-05-08 9:49 AMYou don't say if you have experience of driving on the right. If you are not used to it perhaps I can pass on two tips that have kept me safe since 1964 (oops!).

Have a great time

I've done a fair bit of driving on the continent, so that holds no real fears. Agree about T-junctions being the most hazardous time, I use a mantra every time I approach a junction, "Right turn good, Left turn bad" keeps me focussed.

ROAD ROCKETi - 2011-05-08 12:00 AM I think it is not necesary to have 'Green Card' insurance for France.My insurance company does not issue them. .

But make sure that you have told your insurance company that you are touring on the mainland, check your policy because many companies 'European cover' (a statutory requirement) will cover you for that countries minimum requirement (i.e 3rd party only) unless you have made this arrangement with them.

Oh yes, the 2nd triangle, maybe not necessary for France but I tour throught Europe and some countries require 2.....Germany I think was one.

In France obey the speed limits, when you pass a town or village name sign it means 50 kph, (unless marked otherwise). There are many speed traps and they will sometimes be hidden.

Be aware that in some towns and villages they still have priority from your right, even a small road, so expect vehicles to simply drive out in front of you. Make yoursef familiar with the signs that tell you whether or not you have the right of way.

Buy your bread before lunch time or there may not be any left.

Cars will tailgate you,and cut in close after overtaking. This is normal, French drivers are so good they do not need to leave any sort of safety gap.

Assume all HGV driver are insane, keep well clear of them and watch out for any HGV with some strange country letter, they are even worse.

Keep an eye open when parked up on motorway services, there is a small risk of undesirables lurking somwhere, lock your doors.

Enjoy yourself, forget the campsites, use the Aires they are safe, clean and it's what the French do. Oh! and they are very cheap or free!

H

RogerGW - 2011-05-08 9:42 AM

The Caravan Club offers several free leaflets, in PDF form, that are avaiable to non-members. See http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-trip/overseas-trips/overseas-advice-leaflets

You might find some of the following useful:

1. An extra lead. You can't always get to the socket with just one.

2. Two-pin adaptor

3. Polarity tester. I keep mine plugged into a female UK 3-pin adapter, like this -- http://tinyurl.com/6z9ulr9 -- so I can test at the bollard before hooking up

4. Polarity reversing lead. You have to make this up yourself. See http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/frencheuropeanelectric.htm for advice on this and connections generally. I wrapped a spiral of red insulating tape round the lead of mine so there's no mistaking it. I needed it on the first foreign site I went to, and a couple of others subsequently. You might be lucky and not need it this time but it's worthwhile if you do further touring abroad.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Polarity Tester & reverser kit avaulable on line from Jegs 11 on Ebay for £9.99 + post

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350456367134&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

includes good instructions & he has all the Europe plugs you will ever need!

Just get out there and enjoy Europe - it really is very easy.

Jeremy (the L'AimeDuck)

Depending on how long you are going for I would avoid eating out as much as possible. It's not that cheap in France to eat out and if you're there for a while it might prove expensive. Budgeting for a motorhome holiday is slightly different from your normal two week break. On that you can batter the plastic and spend the rest of the year paying it off, but when in a van it's best to budget as for normal living.

Shop in the less advertised supermarkets. Carrefoure and Le Clerc will stock everything you could ever need but they are expensive compared to TESCO or ASDA. Leaderprice, ALDI, Netto or LIDL are the best. The fresh fruit and meat is just as good quality wise. Bread is cheap everywhere. It's the law in France to buy Pain au Choclat or croissants when ever you pass a pattiserie! Cooked chickens are the same price as an internal organ from local markets! They do make a good meal with bread and wine though, so buy them from a supermarket. Last month on the market where we stopped they were between 12 -15 Euros each, compared to 5.60 Euros in the supermarket.

Fuel can be a big added cost, especially when touring round, depending on what van you've got. Fuel in France isn't that much cheaper than the UK, so beware. As with all things motorhoming, there is a compromise to be made. Tour and pay for fuel or stay put and pay what can be some of the most expensive site fees for the week. Sites are usually very good though, even the cheaper municipal ones are more than adequate. The French motorhomers , in general, don't do "roughing it", so if you see a French van somewhere it's going to be fine!

ASAP buy an "All the Aires" book and go on www. Campingcarinfos.com to plan as many aires as possible to keep costs down. Then have a look on Goggle Earth, or Maps, to have a closer look. Most are very good. Some are crowded and well used, especially in the seaside areas during the holidays or at week-ends, so plan to get to it before 15.00 hours. Many also have a bakery van that calls daily, even Sundays, with fresh bread and cakes, see para. 2! Depending on how long you're out for you could easily stay on aires for all of your trip. Take sufficient bedding and undies and you can last easily three weeks before setting tyres on a site! Remember, you've probably got all your life support needs with you on your van, you've paid a small kings ransom for them so use them!

Research your trip with Lonely Planet Guides, or similar, t'internet and even novels can provide interesting ideas for trips. Try not to have a set route or itinerary because then you'll lose the freedom to just go "off piste" when you see an interesting sign or hear about somewhere from a fellow traveller.

France is motorhome heaven! They are welcome most everywhere and supermarkets tend not to have height barriers at the entrances, and where they do they have special entrances for vans, so just use them.

Always say Bonjour when you meet someone and even if you can only speak "Schoolboy French", have a go, they will appreciate it. Don't listen to all that b*****ks about gassing and such. It's an urban myth. Doesn't happen, never has. Take your common sense and be aware of where you're parking. Our main rule is if one of us doesn't like where we are, or gets a "funny feeling" about somewhere then we move on. There's always somewhere else just up the road.

Finally, Bon Route Mes Amis!

Don't listen to all that b*****ks about gassing and such. It's an urban myth. Doesn't happen, never has.

It did to me, when my dog finished the on-board stock of her usual food and switched to a new one that didn't agree with her. 8=)

I have to agree with Stephen France is motorhome heaven. I dont think you need any advice about driving in France as you stated that you have experience driving on the continent. As said previously use Supermarkets for fuel as much as possible. If you contemplate using Aires instead of sites buy a copy of All The Aires book it is superb. We go to France every year and only use sites on the odd occasion. The only other advice i would give is abide by the traffic laws, be polite and use as much French as you can they do appreciate it. Relax and enjoy all that the country has to offer. We are heading over again on the 25th May to accompany the son in law, daughter and family on their first holiday to France. We will be leaving them in Carnac, Brittany and heading of to discover more parts that we have not seen. Hope you have a great time.

Invest in a 25 litre plastic water carrier with (or and) a decent funnel. When using sites or aires it is often not possible to get a hosepipe connection to the Van for fresh water. Dont be alarmed by large numbers of "foreign" vans parked at aires or crammed into spaces on sites. Its part of the fun.

Have a super time France is a great place to be a motorhomer.

RogerGW - 2011-05-08 9:42 AM ................. 1. An extra lead. You can't always get to the socket with just one. 2. Two-pin adaptor 3. Polarity tester. I keep mine plugged into a female UK 3-pin adapter, like this -- http://tinyurl.com/6z9ulr9 -- so I can test at the bollard before hooking up 4. Polarity reversing lead. You have to make this up yourself. See http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/frencheuropeanelectric.htm for advice on this and connections generally. ...............

Re the second hook-up lead, I would suggest you will, at some time, find the "standard" 25 metres insufficient, and occasionally, that you will need nearer the 50 metre mark.  Depends where you stay, and whether the nearest pillar is fully occupied.  2 x 25 metres is therefore the pairing that will, in my experience, always get the chestnuts out of the fire.

If your van is recent, say within the past 5/6 years, and is not of UK origin, it should have double pole circuit breakers and earth fault protection (RCD/RCBO).  If this is the case, you can ignore reversed polarity insofar as the van circuitry and mains equipment is concerned: your van will be polarity "blind". 

If it is equipped only with single pole circuit breakers, which it seems many UK made or adapted vans are, then testing for, and correcting, reversed polarity, adds marginally to your general electrical safety.  Many do not bother, many others do, but I wouldn't get into a lather over it either way.  It used to be far more of an issue then it now is, due to general improvements in electrical installations.

The most important safety feature to test for is the presence of a earth, and the "W4" type testers will tell you about this as well as polarity.  Even then, thousands just plug in without testing at all and, so far as I am aware, there are very few cases of accidents with site electrics despite the combined efforts of us, and our mainland neighbours, continually to re-write the laws of physics!  :-D  Enjoy.

RogerGW - 2011-05-09 5:38 AM

Don't listen to all that b*****ks about gassing and such. It's an urban myth. Doesn't happen, never has.

It did to me, when my dog finished the on-board stock of her usual food and switched to a new one that didn't agree with her. 8=)

Here is a google translation of an email sent to CampingCar Infos by a French policeman.

Hello,

I am a policeman, on the A7 motorway. Being confronted with almost daily flights in the camper, I can send you some tips,

I give to my friends and usually the victims of these flights ...

To you to tell your forumeurs as you want.

Take a notebook and write down all the phone numbers for emergencies, such opposition CB bank, opposition mobile phone (No Fixed), car assistance,

insurance agency, and numbers of relatives, often when people are robbed of their phones, they are lost because these no longer

telephone numbers and in time ... (Right??)

Hide a small amount in the camper, just in case ... (It will serve you a fresh face on the first flight in case ...)

Then to avoid trouble, like intrusion ... The alarms only work in your absence, so as you sleep in,

well, it does not stop them ... no system works except .... a craft that I recommend ... you simply connect the horn,

or siren of your choice on the door switches ... These are switches that turn on the ceiling.

Do not forget to install one or more switches to turn off the system ... because at night it is better not forget to cut

if peeing outside ... The awakening of the person who may be uncomfortable sleeping .... MDR

At home, 95% of thefts occur while occupants are sleeping in the camper ... they are "sometimes" gassed to add to their sleep, so caution ...

straps (attached to both front doors) and other expensive gadgets, are useless ..... the horn will attract the attention of the surroundings and will flee the unscrupulous ...

That is, being confronted with many stripped of the road, I really advise you to do all this ....

and above all, do nothing, absolutely nothing visible in the cabin ... is the basic rule ...

Just a quick update. I've bought the polarity tester and the reverse polarity cables. Bought an extra 25 metre cable and European connector, so hopefully should be OK. We are sailing Portsmouth to Le Havre and booking into various campsites, firstly in Honfleur then down to Vannes and then moving west up to near Quimper. We will leave Aires til next trip, but will take the suggested book with us just in case. Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a further update after we've returned. Our first real tour, we'd only done week-end stop overs before, so it was a learning curve. We had a great time, weather great and the sites were very quiet. We done just over 1000 miles in the week, with no major mechanical issues, the motorhome is 10 years old, so we were a bit concerned. The electrics were no problem, thanks to the connectors, but we needed a water adaptor to fit the continental taps, but begging worked fine. Must admit my back was killing me with the pull down bed, but coped. All in all a really good experience. Once again thanks for all the advice.

R&K

Archived