battery master recommendations

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

having some auto electrical work on new van next week so thinking that maybe a good time to get a "battery master" fitted...

any recommendations for make and model to get please *-)

if the vehicle battery starts going down does it automatically draw power from the leisure batteries with a battery master??

We have had a "battery master" from Van Bitz on our last 3 vehicles, it does what it says on the tin, transferring charge from leisure battery to vehicle battery when a difference is detected, no transfer in reverse ie vehicle to leisure.

We have one fitted in our motorhome. If the BM detects a half volt difference between the leisure battery and the vehicle battery then it lets the leisure battery charge the vehicle battery. It will not allow the reverse to occur.

Used in conjunction with a solar panel then it ensures that both batteries are in a fully charged condition, even over the severe winter we have just experienced.

A very useful asset.

Judge I think your system already trickle charges the vehicle battery when on hookup and presumably from it's solar panel connection when one is installed, so I doubt whether you would need to add such a thing unless you use a storage facility with no mains.

I agree with james, I fail to see the need for such a thing. And anyway under what circumstance would your vehicle battery become flat :-S

I have laid my van up for months over our rubbish winter and given the engine a 20min run at tickover every two weeks or so and have not experienced any problems with low battery. And the scooter started 1st time having not been run at all for nearly 6 months.

Guest JudgeMental
JamesFrance - 2011-05-11 11:36 AM

Judge I think your system already trickle charges the vehicle battery when on hookup and presumably from it's solar panel connection when one is installed, so I doubt whether you would need to add such a thing unless you use a storage facility with no mains.

Doh! I managed to cancel order for the unit as they haden't posted it out yet.*-) ..Thanks James :-D

Mine came with multi language handbooks for the equipment, but nothing from Adria themselves. Looking at the battery volt indicators, I think it fully charges the leisure battery first and then the vehicle battery goes up to 13v later. Only a low charging rate for that one though, but that should be plenty to keep it fully charged when connected.

Edit: I just checked the Schaudt handbook and it confirms the float charge of max 2 amps for the vehicle battery. However if you use their solar regulator connection it charges leisure battery only on solar.

Archived