Naughty caravan Club?

Hello,

The Caravan Club, I have been told.......

..................is actively encouraging CL owners to put their prices up!

A £5 per night site owner, when checked by the CC this year, was told to put his price up to £12 per night as they think that the site is worth it.

The owner has refused as he does not think it is a fair price, he sees the site as an addition that

supports his main business. It is a grass site with water and disposal facilities on the site with toilets near by.

Good for him, but what is the Caravan Club doing? Certainly not looking after its members!

Of course it may not be 'company policy' perhaps a site assessor being helpful?

Could any forum members enquire if this is happening at other CLs as they visit them?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Interesting theory?

The higher CL prices are the higher Club site fees could rise in 'justification' for the 'better' facilities so it could be argued that it is in the Club's best interest to have higher prices on CLs?

Supply and demand is what it is all about and as long as Club sites continue to be in such perceievd high demand prices will continue to rise in order that the Club can continue to reinvest the excess into new and redeveloped sites - or something?

As long as the affluent society of motor caravanners and (mainly) tuggers contiue to be happy to pay ever increasing site fees it will continue.

Are you all happy to pay Club site fees?

We've just booked a CL. In the directory it states £12 a night (hook up and cold water facilities only) and on booking it was £13. Only a quid more and i know the books are printed a years or so beforehand so wil be out of date. But an interesting point Tracker if this Cl will charge £13 with little on offer facility wise then you have a point about Club Sites being able to charge more for the all singing and dancing facilities. And I thought i was cynical :-D *-)

And before i get the replies about the cost (£13 a night for a CL) and why not wild camp etc etc we're going to this Cl because we're attending something near by , it's in a lovely location and is very handy for the town. :-D

I don't motorcaravan in the UK, but I shall be meeting an owner of a local CL next week and (if I get the chance and remember!) I'll ask him what, if any, advice/influence the CC has on his pricing structure.

Based on the CC Site Directory, the average charge for CLs in Herefordshire is from £8-£15 per night for sites with EHUs, though there's one open-all-year site for £3 if you don't need a hook-up.

During my first outing I stayed an a superb CL and on a CC site. I thought that both were very good value. The site was about £20 in high season (Easter) and the CL was £10 but it was a very classy one with spacious individual hard standings and electric hook up.

I didn't book either and just rolled up.

Contrary to what Mr. Tracker implies, there were more motorhomes than caravans on the CC site. The warden had a motorhome and my welcome could not have been warmer. I'm sure that in the peak season the number of caravans will increase as motorhomes seem mainly to be used by the older generation. How many people with mortgages and families can afford to buy a motorhome?

I will not be joining any wild conspiracy theories about this being a sly way to increase the club's prices and will wait to see the results of chats with other CL owners before deciding on the validity of the claim. Prices are set by the members as the CC is governed by volunteer committees of keen caravanners and motorhomers. The paid executives take their instructions from these members' committees and all this is explained in the club's handbook.

Having said all that however, I did wonder why the farmer bothered. I was the only one on his CL and his income from it could not have been great. I would suggest that the CC should encourage farmers to set their rates at what is a fair market price as this will encourage others to open a CL, which will benefit us all.

I cannot see how this will affect the normal club sites as their prices will surely be governed by competition from similar private-sector sites?

We prefer to use Caravan Club sites when we get away for weekends. For our touring holidays we tend to stay a maximum of 3 nights on any given site, not exclusively CC sites, as we also like the C & CC Temporary Holiday Sites (THS). This way we have stayed on 70+ CC sites over the years, and we have never found a bad one.

Out of season (i.e. not school hols!), their prices are very reasonable - £13-14 a night. We are assured of a warm welcome, the sites are always kept in immaculate condition, and we can always pitch pretty much how we like, and erect our Khyam dome which we use as an awning/annexe (some operators want to charge for this as a 'gazebo', but not the Caravan Club).

We rarely use CL's; why pay £12 a night and have to book a bit of field when a few extra quid gets you a 'proper' site? The last one we stayed at in the Peak District a couple of years ago was £3.50!

We do have to plan ahead a bit, as the very easy booking system is open to abuse by 'block bookers', who will book every weekend at their favourite site and then cancel at the last minute if they are not going. >:-) The Club is trying to stop this at the moment by monitoring members with high cancellation histories.

The ratio of caravans to motorhomes varies according to the site; rural sites will have more caravans, edge of town sites having a higher proportion of motorhomes. We have never felt that we are treated any differently now, than when we were - ahem - 'tuggers'.

We are glad there is a sort of 'snooty disdain' for the Clubs from some forum members, as a bit of bad press for the Caravan Club ensures we can always get a pitch. :D

It's some years since we were in the CC. We switched to the MCC when the CC's boss made a speech at a European shindig, effectively condemning all non-site use of motorhomes etc.

Unfotunately, the MCC didn't have much of a CL network, so when we found we'd be doing more UK camping we went for the CCC. We've been very satisifed with their CSs (never tried the Club sites of either club - need another big legacy for that!).

The CCC CSs seem on average to be quite a bit cheaper than CC CLs. The most expensive one we've ever stayed on was this past weekend, £11 per night inc hook up. All the others we've used have been less than £6 - admittedly without hookup. Found one which was £3!

I wonder if Richard's cynical observation may have some truth in it??

Guest Tracker
Tony Jones - 2011-05-10 10:34 AM

I wonder if Richard's cynical observation may have some truth in it??

It was as much tongue in cheek as cynical Tony - but as ever was, I did expect some disagreement!

Provoking discussion - and as ever was - several facets to the OP's point of view - was the whole point of me saying what I did!

It could be argued that the CC are doing their long suffering CL owners a service by advising on site fees?

Maybe it will improve the CL's earnings to cost ratio?

Maybe it will lose the CL owner income?

A lot of CL owners don't do it for the income they do it for the social aspect because they enjoy meeting people and having people stay on their land?

Like you Tony we became disillusioned with the CC several years ago over the remarks about 'off site' camping which had all the hallmarks of, being kind to the CC, a lack of understanding how Motorhomes work differently to caravans, and being unkind, more to do with sour grapes over percieved 'lost' income?

The final straw was the imposition of EHU whether you want it or not.

One size does not fit all and I doubt we will ever rejoin.

That said the CC sites are first class and many many people love the club and all that it offers and I am not knocking it for those whose camping fits perfectly into the 'one size fits all' category - ours doesn't!

FRANKP60 - 2011-05-10 12:42 PMIf CC are trying to tell CL owners what they should charge ,would that come under price fixing law ,please note no legal knowledge

Of course it wouldn't. First of all we don't even know if it's true but even if the CC is advising owners that they may be able to charge a little more they are obviously not compelling them to. 

It's no different from an estate agent phoning you up and suggesting that the price that you're selling your house at is a bit low and you may be able to raise it a little.

I would have thought it part of the CC's service to CL owners that they keep them apprised of current prices. What does a farmer know about comparative sites fees? If I signed up to open a CL I would want the CC to tell me what the most suitable price is for the facilities offered.

It seems to me that this is just what's happened here, no more, no less.

I've just binned the CC due to the block booking thing. They acknowledged it was a problem when attempting to retain me. Also, I don't see how their sites are any better than a lot of Indies, as you pay the same or more for most CC sites, where the facilities are often identical - minus the 'jobsworth ' warden on some occasions!

Guest pelmetman

Still a CC member :D ..........Should get our 20 year sticker next year if they dont kick me out before (lol) ....

The CC is no longer a club...... but an empire for the club directors.....Who are only concerned with the bottom line and not its members, especially not Motorhome owners because we tend to move on >:-(

I would not be at all surprised to find them trying to get CL owners to hike their prices as it means they can hike theirs aswell and milk the members a little bit more *-)

Incidentally has anyone ever come across one of the club directors in a caravan 8-) ...........except maybe making a token visit at a CC rally (?)

Currently sat on a very nice CL near Ludlow........£11 per night with EHU :D

Guest JudgeMental
How Much??????? - 2011-05-10 1:05 PM

I've just binned the CC due to the block booking thing. They acknowledged it was a problem when attempting to retain me. Also, I don't see how their sites are any better than a lot of Indies, as you pay the same or more for most CC sites, where the facilities are often identical - minus the 'jobsworth ' warden on some occasions!

Yes, I also fed up to the back teeth with their nonsensical booking system.... :-S

pelmetman - 2011-05-10 1:12 PMStill a CC member :D ..........Should get our 20 year sticker next year if they dont kick me out before (lol) ....The CC is no longer a club...... but an empire for the club directors.....Who are only concerned with the bottom line and not its members, especially not Motorhome owners because we tend to move on >:-(I would not be at all surprised to find them trying to get CL owners to hike their prices as it means they can hike theirs aswell and milk the members a little bit more *-) Incidentally has anyone ever come across one of the club directors in a caravan 8-) ...........except maybe making a token visit at a CC rally (?)Currently sat on a very nice CL near Ludlow........£11 per night with EHU :D

An empire for the clubs directors?  I'm sorry but that is a pretty fatuous statement.

First of all, why should the administrators who run the club be caravanners? They ought to be employed for their business and management skills in running a massive and successful organisation and not whether they choose to have a caravan or motorhome.

Should the person in charge of Formula 1 be a racing driver? Should the person in charge of Next, or River Island be a fashion designer?

Running a huge business is about business skills and your gripes about the CC show an ignorance of how it operates. The club is run by a chairman and several committees, all of whom are keen caravanners and motorhomers. All major policy decisions are made by these committees and it is then the job of the paid executives to carry them out. The paid executives then employ experts in the other fields in which the business operates, such as insurance, package holidays etc.

From what I can gather these members who sit on the regional and national committees are volunteers.

The other important thing is that the CC is a mutual or co-operative. It has no shareholders and every single penny made is reinvested in the site network. Why is it do you think that there is such a huge number of sites? And then of course there's the CL network, which is brilliant concept, providing as it does an extra income for farmers and thousands of extra sites for members.

I haven't been a CC member for very long but I have read its history, I have read about its structure and it seems to me to be a first-class organisation whose major aims and objects are solely for the benefit of its members. I have learned all this is less than a year. In twenty years you seem not to have grasped how the CC really works!

I couldn't care less if the person who deals with my motorhome insurance is a motorhomer. I want him or her to be an expert in insurance. I couldn't care less if the person responsible for expanding the club's site network is a caravanner. I want him to be an expert in land management and commercial property.

I gather that the Caravan and Camping Club is also a similar organisation with the same structure, but for now I'm just trying out one and may eventually join the C & CC.

What evidence do you have for this sweeping statement that the CC is just an empire for the directors? Are you critical because they have been successful in their management of the club and have continued its expansion? I would have thought that this is worthy of praise as the more sites there are, the greater our choice.

Guest pelmetman

I went fishing :D .......................and you took the bait FG (lol)

"What evidence do you have for this sweeping statement that the CC is just an empire for the directors? Are you critical because they have been successful in their management of the club and have continued its expansion? I would have thought that this is worthy of praise as the more sites there are, the greater our choice."

Maybe because I remember when it was more like a club, without all the pettyfogging rules and jobsworth running the sites 8-) ..........................I'm pretty sure the pitches were much bigger then and not so close together...........or is that my rose tinted spec's again (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-05-10 3:36 PMI went fishing :D .......................and you took the bait FG (lol) "What evidence do you have for this sweeping statement that the CC is just an empire for the directors? Are you critical because they have been successful in their management of the club and have continued its expansion? I would have thought that this is worthy of praise as the more sites there are, the greater our choice."Maybe because I remember when it was more like a club, without all the pettyfogging rules and jobsworth running the sites 8-) ..........................I'm pretty sure the pitches were much bigger then and not so close together...........or is that my rose tinted spec's again (lol)

I'm sorry that you feel the need to, as you put, it 'go fishing' or as I would put it, deliberately post things that you don't even believe yourself just to get a reaction and stir up trouble.

Perhaps this explains why you have problems with site wardens? If you enjoy being a stirrer then it's no surprise that you get an unfavourable reaction from these 'jobsworths'.

Personally, I have found that people always react to the way that they are treated. Be pleasant and approach them nicely without trying to stir them up and you may be surprised and find that they are really just ordinary people doing a demanding job with the odd unpleasant and demanding customers.

Reading many threads on the CC the overwhelming opinion seems to be that the sites are immaculate, the wardens very nice people and because of those 'empire building' executives there are now ten times more sites that when you first joined.

Actually, I suspect that your post wasn't really intended to stir things but you have no answer to some of my points and neither can you find one iota of proof to justify the wild claim about 'empire building executives'.

So what are you actually, a stirrer or just wrong?

Guest pelmetman
francisgraham - 2011-05-10 3:58 PM

Probably both :D .......................I do struggle with taking life seriously a lot of the time (lol)

But my point is the CC was a much nicer place :D ............Before the professionals took over B-)

Guest Tracker

If you went to Dave's house Francis you would see his big collection of wooden spoons gathered over many years of perfecting the act of stirring puddings of all sorts and sizes.

There was a good clue in the posting - he's been a member for 20 years - can't be doing too much wrong then can they?

As a mere apprentice 'winderer upperer' I bow to Dave's expertise!

Keep smilin' and don't let the bar stewards grind you down!

So what are you Francis - annoyed at being hooked - or just grumpy!

Tracker - 2011-05-10 4:24 PM
francisgraham - 2011-05-10 3:58 PMSo what are you actually, a stirrer or just wrong?
If you went to Dave's house Francis you would see his big collection of wooden spoons gathered over many years of perfecting the act of stirring puddings of all sorts and sizes.There was a good clue in the posting - he's been a member for 20 years - can't be doing too much wrong then can they?As a mere apprentice 'winderer upperer' I bow to Dave's expertise!Keep smilin' and don't let the bar stewards grind you down!So what are you Francis - annoyed at being hooked - or just grumpy!

In my innocence I wasn't aware that there were people on this forum who simply post to cause trouble. It's not my style I'm afraid.

Having said that, I don't actually believe him! I think that he posted a rather silly accusation about the CC and its executives and when he was called out about it he had no real answer, so fell back on the 'winding up' story.

I shall leave him to his stirring (if that's what it even was). I have a great sense of humour I think, but have never really seen the fun or the cleverness in someone posting just to annoy others, or to crow when others fall for it. How are we supposed to know when someone is 'fishing' or is serious? It certainly wasn't obvious in this case.

If you don't mind I shall not be joining the list of stirrers.

Guest Tracker
francisgraham - 2011-05-10 4:51 PM

If you don't mind I shall not be joining the list of stirrers.>

Of course I don't mind!

Don't get all offended Francis - life's too short - just smile, take it all in your stride and most of all - ENJOY!

Happy camping!

pelmetman - 2011-05-10 4:19 PM

Probably both :D .......................I do struggle with taking life seriously a lot of the time (lol)

But my point is the CC was a much nicer place :D ............Before the professionals took over B-)

Pelmetman - Absolutely agree with this, the CC is not in my opinion a club anymore & also agree that the only thing to do is laugh :D

Most of us can laugh, but obviously some do seem to take life far too seriously.

Did you catch any fish?

Jeremy (the L'AimeDuck)

JudgeMental - 2011-05-10 1:49 PM

How Much??????? - 2011-05-10 1:05 PM

Yes, I also fed up to the back teeth with their nonsensical booking system.... :-S

A different point of view form me on their booking system (apologies to the OP) we had a CC site booked for the end of May bank holiday, this weekend our plans changed to cover an event on the same weekend so we booked the Cl and cancelled the CC site with no loss of deposit and 3 weeks for someone to have our booking if the site is full. I had to give reason for the cancellation. :-)

Most CC site pitches are large. Some are very large. And some are enormous. 8-)

Have to agree about those willing to spoil a good discussion with their nonsensical (and intellectually very shallow) posts. >:-) They would no doubt think themselves very funny, and to accuse another forum user of having no sense of humour is a cheap and easy jibe, so typical of the 'I'm smarter than you' clique.

I call them the 'polluters', and have lost count of the number of interesting threads on here that have 'died the death' because of snide remarks and rivalries. >:-(

I subscribe to this forum for information, and have made some great savings by taking advice from forum members. A broadband dongle and a water filter were mine for a lot less than I would have paid without 'the knowledge' from this forum, to name just two recent threads. :D

I believe a bit more 'moderation' is called for...

Hopesy, how would you have felt if you had to pay for the first night as a condition of booking, then lose it if you cancelled irrespective of the reason, especially as in your case something better came up ???

I have also left the CC because of being unable to get a booking because some members book nearly every W/E throughout the season and then cancell with impunity, suggesting that they have done someone a favour by cancelling and making their pitch available. I am alright Jack springs to mind.

Mike

Archived