Overtaking in Europe

Guest John

Due to the loss of my navigator and lookout through bereavement I am looking at the problems of overtaking in Europe when using a R/H drive vehicle. I was considering a forward looking camera but this has been rejected as an option by a manufacturer bacause reversing cameras give wide angle coverage and to use one looking forward would be dangerous due to the distortion. Is there a mirror system on the market to provide this assistance? If so the name of a manufacturer/supplier would be most welcome. How do others cope, I cann't be alone in having this problem.

Guest Brian Ramsden
There is a mirror system, but it is some time since I have seen it advertised, and I can't remember who made it. It consisted of a mirror in the LHS corner of the dashboard, angled at 45º and looking forward.

Guest Brian Ramsden
Type overtaking mirror into the search field of the Forum will take you to a posting from Nick M on 02/08/04 which will lead you to an article in MMM last year.

Guest Clive
There are different camera systems about and some that will do what you want. Have a look at www.Orlaco.nl I know they have a UK agent and their CCTV systems are beyond reproach. I have one on my Motorhome. The screen is a bit bigger than most other systems offered and mine is mounted directly above the rear view mirror. (Just enough space in a Sprinter) I have only one camera looking backwards from on top of the roof but the system accepts several cameras, inputs from Sat nav etc. Many lens options are available with the cameras which are very small. Each camera can be set to NORMAL or MIRROR image or inverted if required. The camera,s are very small so one would easilly fit on a mirror arm without attracting attention. Everything is colour, sealed and presurised with dry nitrogen. The camera lenses are heated when its cold. etc. etc. Its commercial equipment designed for Lorries, Fork lift trucks, Fire engines etc. Not cheap but it keeps working! As I said have a brouse around their web site www.Orlaco.nl Good luck

Guest Mel E
I agree with Clive that there are good TV systems out there that will meet your needs. Two warnings, however: 1. Reversing TV systems normally have the image reversed on the screen, otherwise the UK offsiude would appear on the left of the screen, which is very dangerous when you're using it as running system. If you want to use one for lokking forward, you'll need to get the screen picture changed back. And you will not be able to have multiple camera inputs with one looking forward and one looking back, since it's the TV set which has the picture reversed and not the camera. 2. In some continental countries, it is illegal to have a TV live in the cab, even if it is simply supplementing the driver's view.

Archived