Cadac Eazi Chef

Knaus

Hi

We need a spare part for our Cadac Eazi Chef model 8220. It is 6 years old.

There is a black plastic part in the 'stem' and it has melted. The stem is the tube which goes from the jet to the cooking ring.

Anyone had the same problem. Our friends have this problem too.

Have emailed Cadac distributers in Cheshire. No reply as yet.

Off to France in 4 weeks so need to get it sorted.

Cadac gave this reply when I was seeking a part last week they may be able to help you.

You could try Towler & Staines, our approved spare partsdealer, their telephone number is 01274 724 529

Unfortunately they were unable to help us, our daughter bought one and took it away for their first camping weekend in a VW Camper they had just bought to

"Forest Edge Holiday Park (shorefield Holidays)" at Ringwood and had it stolen on the first night.

The b******s only got the base unit and gas bottle so not much use to them, we tried to get  a replacement base complete but no luck. This site was supposed to have night security and when they asked to see the Manager he jumped in his car and headed off to another site saying he had a major incident to deal with. I can't see me visiting any of their sites

Sorry to highjack your thread but seeing your problem just brought the anger back again. Towler and Staines were very helpful so if anyone can help they will.

We had the same problem with our cadac with the plastic piece in the stem melting after on one camping trip. I took it back to Towsure and they swopped it with another stem out of another box in the shop. They said they had never heard of one melting before, but interestingly the replacement stem has a brass piece in the neck as opposed being plastic.

It has always cooked ok since but very messy to clean after a BBQ, have to go to the campsite sinks after dark when no one else is around!

Let us know if you find someone who supplies the part ,it's a lot money to throw away if you have to buy a new cadac.

Good luck.

PS were you using it off a gas point off the side of the van on propane at 30mb pressure, I think this is where the problems start.

Shaggy,

Off to France in 8 days time and you have probably saved me from making a mistake with my new anused small Cadac, I was tossing up whether to run the cadac from the vans propane or take my camping Gaz butane cylinder + regulator as well.

Will take the butane and hopefully avoid any problems.

Thanks Mike

Mike

When using propane the cadac should be run on 38mb pressure according to the instructions.

Many people seen to run theirs quite happily on 30mb without any problems, with a lower flame.

Our problems were caused by the lower flame igniting itself in the tube where the Venturi is situated and thus melting it. We have not had any problems since and have been using it regularly for more than 2 years now, but I am always cautious about the stand/tube flaming up again.

Have a good trip

Gavin

Hi again

After much emailing and phoning I have managed to get the spare plastic insert for the Stem of my Cadac Eazi Chef. Thank you for the Towler & Staines phone number.

I have ordered 2 just in case. £4.95 each plus £4 post & packing. Cheaper than a new cadac bbq.

I asked about the brass insert, but they said they didn't have that type. Evidently Cada has passed all the spares onto them. Cadac uk didn't really want to know.

Thanks for all the help.

It's a common fault...so much so that it can only be described as an inherent design flaw. E.g. when mine went, I called into RIversway and they kept a box full waiting under the counter. Doled them out free of charge...I think Cadac have got a cheek charging for them. Hence I've got a couple of spares at the ready...10 minute job to change them. I notice mine is burning a bit yellow at the moment - one of my jobs for this week is to take it apart to check if the plastic baffle's melted again.

Bad design, which is why with hindsight I'd recommend anyone to get a Carri Chef in preference.

Thanks Rosbotham

Wish you had been about a couple of days ago. I guess I could have saved the money by phoning Riversway. I had called Towsure but they didn't have any.

Never mind will know next time.

Hi again

Just contacted Riversway Leisure and they do not have any left.

I have also contacted Cadac in South Africa (Head Office) but am not hopeful a a reply.

These should have had a recall to fix the problem a long time ago.

Still, I have a new baffle and hope it lasts as long as the original.

Evidently there are 2 different colour baffles black or blue. I think the blue one can be changed to a brass one.

Clearly this is no use to the OP, but just in case this thread hangs around it could help someone else...

I've just had mine apart as the flame was getting a bit yellow...I suspected the baffle was partially melted. In the event it was intact, but the whole thing had somehow moved approx 1 inch further up the shaft than it should be (should be immediately above the vent holes). So no new baffle needed, just a bit of nudging down with a suitable wooden spoon. Worth checking prior to chasing after the baffle.

Would still recommend keeping one in reserve though...if you can find anyone who'll supply!

Archived