Kampa small gas table top BBQ

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

http://www.kampa.co.uk/gas_appliances/GA7138.html

was in a camping shop Friday and saw one of these...anyone have one and how does it perform please?

as we have downsized van looking for smaller BBQ and I saw this...while smaller then what I had in mind, I it got me thinking as it may be big enough for 2 - that is if it works OK? :-S

the bidgger camping gas model which I liked the look of on line was horrible...cheap pressed steel...real nasty

any other recommendations please :-D

Dunno Eddie - but often with such things the purcahse price isn't bad, but the price and avalabilityu of replacement gas cartidges is damned expensive and difficult to find.

If it's a small bbq/cooker type thingy that you're looking for , I would commend you include in your list of possibles the Coleman Dual Fuel cooker.....a two-ring cooker fuelled either by Colemans' own brand liquid (expensive, don't bother) or by ordinary 95 octane petrol.....available, in plentiful supply, all over Europe! The actual amount of petrol that it uses is utterly tiny, you just have to pump it up every 30 minutes or so, which is easy peasy, even whilst you continue to cook/bbq on it. I keep a small 1litre container of petrol in the gas cupboard of the MH......but only need to refill the reservoir on the Coleman maybe once every week if we are away and cooking on it every night, and it only takes something like half a litre from empty to full.

For cooking we just put pots etc on the burner, and for bbqing we've got (from a cook-shop) a very solid cast iron skillet type thing which is the right size to sit right across the whole surface area above the burners.

It's really good, it's dead cheap to run, it's very compact when packed away, when open its' got wind-break sides and lid. I've has mine for maybe 15 years now, and it's still as good as new.

Lovely piece of kit for any type of outdoor cooking.

Others will have their own favourites, but this really is brilliant for our needs.

Here's one supplier, but just google or search ebay for "coleman dual fuel stove" and you'll find loads of them:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=coleman+dual+fuel+stove&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11538984073722774523&sa=X&ei=467PTceVD8bX8gOi3rX7DQ&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAA&biw=1024&bih=649#

Gas canisters for this type of BBQ are readily available in any outdoor shop or at Halfords and many others ,price varies from £1.00 to £1.50. The unit itself works very well and I can recommend it.

Guest JudgeMental

I will be plugging it into gas outlet on side of van :-D

Thanks Charles that is what I want some user reviews....or alternatives

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Paul they had that in John cross shop as well. I want to connect to refillable gas bottles via my external filler? no faffing around with canisters...The Kampa seems the best of these compact ones so far and that is what made me stop and consider it.....

Hey-up Eddie, we've got one of these which is the same as what you're talking about, see the thread below where I mention it::

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20200&start=31

Hubby has used it and it works a treat, very quick and even better than our other 'standard type' gas BBQs and they were good anyway! It has its own carry case so keeps everything contained in case it gets a bit grubby. I'd certainly recommend it but I'd suggest trying it with the canisters first as they are cheap now - 4 for £4 - as it cookes stuff very quickly you don't have it on for as long as other gas BBQs so the gas usage will be small by comparison. By using a canister you can then site it wherever you want without a hose dangling in the way to trip over.

The other bonus is that it can be used as a stove and we also have one of the standard stove so if we wanted to do some alfresco cooking for more than 2 of our, we could use that to supplement the BBQ if needs be, and of course using the same canisters means we don't have to carry different types with us and can have them both running at the same time.

Forgot to say, the grub tastes BBQ'd too which is great.

:-D

Just thought I'd mention, there's another one like this made by Outback UK, which is a nice item BUT the grill plate is square so it is smaller than the one you've seen (and ours) and we decided it would be okay for 1 person, but that was all.

This is the cheapest of the type you're looking at that I could find:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-1-PORTABLE-GAS-CAMPING-GRILL-STOVE-COOKER-FISHING-/160539819987?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item2560eb3fd3

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2011-05-21 7:06 PM

Eddie - did you get one then? :-S

No not yet, in no rush at the moment and other more important issues to sort out..Have had a house offer so things a bit frantic:-S

I have just sold both electric bikes and buying new ones (lighter better a lot more expensive!) This new van business is bloomin expensive, and I am hemorrhaging money! *-) :D

josie gibblebucket - 2011-05-21 12:01 PM

The Coleman PerfectFlow grill stove looks quite good, but at £80 its a bit too pricey for us unfortunately!

Solution: go on ebay.

Look for Coleman dual fuel stove.

Obtain one second hand, in perfect nick, for about 30 squids.

Result.

Enjoy, problem free, in calm or wind, hot or cold weather, whether cooking, boiling, or bbq-ing, using just 95 octane petrol, for the next 30 years.

Check out the Cadac Safari Chef. We got one when we down-sized to the PVC.

It packs up to the size of a football, very versatile, with flat plate, griddle, BBQ grille and cover/wok :-D

We plug ours into the external gas point and run the hose into the awning (dome, actually) :D

Big enough to do a Full English for two, and you can stand your bottle of red on the top while you are searing the steaks for dinner :->

Archived