ADAC. Travel Insurance?

Don Madge

Morning all,

My combined home/travel/medical policy has an upper age limit of 80 so in the next 2 years I need to find some new cover.

I've been searching (without success) the ADAC site to check whether they do travel insurance. I did have a link in English but that does not work any more. I intend to take out the ADAC breakdown cover for our trip to the Baltic States in August and Turkey for next winter if there is no upper age limit.

I'm also going to need home insurance that will allow me to leave the house unoccupied for up to

5 months at a time.

The Caravan Club Red Pennant Motoring and Personal policy has no upper age limit for a single trip of 122 days maximum. That covers the whole of Europe and Turkey so far that's the best I can find.

The long stay cover has an upper age limit of 79.

So as always any advice will be most welcome.

Don

Don, in the course of my recent breakdown in Spain I had reason to ring the ADAC on several occasions, each time I was either speaking to someone who spoke excellent English or quickly put on to some who did.

They also respond to emails in English.

H

Hi Don, if you investigate the ADAC Plus cover you will find that it also includes repatriation for medical reasons. I dont know whether that includes the cost of treatment abroad though, but there are no questions asked about your health.

Colin

bounty hunter - 2011-05-16 8:47 PM

Don

C&CC allow your house to be un-occupied for 180 days. Will also do a travel policy for same time for £100 per person plus any medical conditions, as at November last year.

John

Thanks John,

Will check it out, do you know if there is an upper age limit?

Don

Hi, Don

I haven't read any age restriction on the ADAC repatriation cover so you may be able to couple this with the cover provided by the EHIC card, it may not be perfect but the 2 combined should help to limit some of the very serious charges that could be incurred should you have major medical problems while away, its got to be worth investigating further if the insurance costs get to high, ADAC are always helpful if you ring them.

As already suggested the C&CC buildings and contents insurance covers for 180 days with very few restrictions, the nationwide were unlimited time away from home as long as someone visited every couple of weeks, albeit you may want to setup a system where the visits can be recorded just in case there are any problems.

Hope that helps

Thanks John and everybody else who contributed.

The CC Red Pennant looks like the way to go at present but that might all change in the next two years.

It ain't fun growing old but at least we are still able to continue with our travels. . :-D :-D

Don

bounty hunter - 2011-05-19 2:39 PM

Have checked significant conditions and you have to be under 80 years of age at commencement of the period of insurance. Policy is provided by Europ Assistance.

Hope this helps.

John

Met a Belgian couple who live in Germany last year on the Algarve, he was 85 and she was 84, they had ADAC and had used them in past years for repatriation as the wife didn't drive. Don't know whether the age thing means that if you have an ongoing ADAC assurance and you are over 80 then that is ok.

Archived