autofill water system

graham

We were looking at a van the other day which had an autofill water system rather than the usual filling hole. I can see this may be fine if you are on a pitch with a tap but what happens if that is not the case. Do you need to carry an Aquaroll to fill with the pump supplied. I appreciate you can plug in and fill at the service point but this is not convenient if you aren't going out. Indeed we have been on some sites in Europe where there is no service point and there aren't that many water taps. Does anyone have one of these and how do you get on with it.

Guest Tracker

Some vans with this system may have relatively small onboard water tanks which might be an issue wherever you camp unless your pitch has it's own tap.

Guest pelmetman
Fine if you intend to go from one 5 star site to another :D .....................................Rather defeats the object of having a camper van *-)

I think it all depends on the size of the on board water tank. Just looked at an Autoquest spec, 1st one I found and has a 45 litre tank which for me is far too small with our lavish consumption of water wild camping, but for many would be more than adequate.

OK, controversial rant alert coming up:-

If you ain't gonna use the facilities of your motorhome (shower, toilet, 12 volt lights, heating etc) when wild camping, then why on Earth did you buy it?

You'd surely be far happier in a Hotel or Guest House, and potentially £30K or £40K richer to boot.

Controversial rant over.

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2011-05-16 11:33 PM

If you ain't gonna use the facilities of your motorhome (shower, toilet, 12 volt lights, heating etc) when wild camping, then why on Earth did you buy it?r.

A lot of motorhomers are ex caravanners and are not so keen on aires and off site camping having got used to the secure feeling that a site seems to give them.

In which case they tend to leave the van on site and use their motorhome like a self propelled tourer as an alternative to towing and that, I think, is the basis for some makers using a small tank and autofill system.

Or maybe motorhomes are designed by caravanners - and that is worrying!

I can see it's appeal for some users but for us it's just a needless complication and as a small fresh water tank would be an absolute no no we would just walk away and find a more suitable - for us - van.

Hi Graham

We were also looking at van conversions last year when we noticed one that we were seriously considering had this system installed which we didn't want, however we were informed that it could be changed to a standard fill point thereby negating the problem. So I wouldn't let it put you off buying a van if everything else was right with it, just make it part of the deal that it is changed before you get it.

Now that is a good point. We were actually looking at an Autosleeper Symbol. I believe AS started using it last year. In the end we didn't go ahead because, for us, the fridge is totally inadequate but I was not keen on the water system either. I doubt if a 'proper' water system could be retrofitted very easily but it probably could form part of a factory order. The downside of that would be waiting months for delivery and I prefer to see and touch any van we might buy before going ahead.

Archived